My Bariatric Surgery Journey

Wulaw Horn

218 is what I weighed after post stent implant cardio rehab 22 years ago. 
Fell off the wagon, so to speak, and ballooned up to 335. 
Have lost 53 of that since my 2018 heart attack. 
This CFS at Moonshine’s Grill this afternoon isn’t helping.

90514975-6594-4238-AF0C-7EF2E2BAC2E2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 7/3/2023 at 12:09 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

218.4. Feels like it's not exactly melting off of me and then I went and looked and I'm down 10 pounds in the last 30 days, so that's not bad at all. IF that pace continues then I will be in the 100's by opening day of football!

It's really not going well on the activity front- with it being hot as fuck out. I got moving a couple times over the last week at splashtown with the kids, and have splashed around in the pool but it's too damn hot out there to F with stuff outside.  

I went and tried to look at gyms saturday but they were all closed (they have key fob type shit) in Huffman.  Who would have thought there's not a huge gym culture there. Will check out a couple places this week between my house and the office.  Goal is to join a gym and start lifting and doing cardio work when my kids get back to school on something like August 6th or 8th or somewhere in there.  Have a couple work trips and then a family vacation out to the river in July so not going to mess with it until that all wraps up and it's school time again.  

If you’ve got the room, get a bike, treadmill, or elliptical for your home. You can probably even find a very good condition one that was only used as a clothes hanger in FB or Nextdoor or OfferUp. Even if you’re motivated, having to take the time get to and from gym can kill your enthusiasm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

If you’ve got the room, get a bike, treadmill, or elliptical for your home. You can probably even find a very good condition one that was only used as a clothes hanger in FB or Nextdoor or OfferUp. Even if you’re motivated, having to take the time get to and from gym can kill your enthusiasm. 

He wants to lift weights specifically man. 

On 7/9/2023 at 8:59 AM, Basil said:

You’re going to be one of those CrossFit dudes in a few months.

Not a chance. 

On 7/9/2023 at 6:12 AM, SydneyCarton said:

He wants to lift weights specifically man. 

Yep. Looking to get some definition eventually. 

216.4 this AM. I had worried I might be down to very slow as I was flat for 2 weeks, but got 2 pounds in the last week. 
I’m somewhere between 8 or 12 weeks from being in the 100’s for the first time since I was 19. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So how’s the mental health? Have you stopped missing the old habits as much yet?

Still bummed pretty much every time I eat. Maybe not every time all day long but whenever I go to a restaurant or whenever there is a real meal on the table or when my wife makes something for the kids. It’s getting better. 
what is constant and has been from the very beginning is I am just not hungry and throwing some protein powder in a blender with 12 OZ of milk is a full and satisfying feeling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

210.4 today. Went to the gym every day Monday- Friday and then walked 5 miles Saturday. Barely ate for much of the week. 1/2 a pound. Think I’m not eating enough and body is shutting down weight loss because of that. I’m sort of so sick of food and eating and feeling blah.  Not sure how much is weather related. I’m probably going to start up with my counselor again I think. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 686 said:

I’ve been following over time and just got up to date on this thread. Congrats to you and your wife and amazing work!

What is a “normal” gym workout for you at this point?

I’m still trying to Figure that out (it’s only been a week). I think I’m going to do 5x5 schedule 3 times a week and elliptical and stairs the other two days. If anyone has any better suggestions I’m all ears. 

• Like 1

I’m still trying to Figure that out (it’s only been a week). I think I’m going to do 5x5 schedule 3 times a week and elliptical and stairs the other two days. If anyone has any better suggestions I’m all ears. 

What lifts are you doing in the 5x5? Are you doing machines or freeweights?

Some Thoughts:
I’m sure you’re doing this but start out light and work up slowly.

Machines can be great IMO when you’re starting up/training muscles that have atrophied, or for specific weak points. E.g. my back hates sit-ups but I can do ab machines no-prob with acceptable results.

Go slow with the movements - lighter weight with more “time under tension” is probably a good idea. I.e. let the weight down slowly during the rep, like 2-3 seconds.

Build up the coordination / muscle memory with the movements before you load up the weight.

Stretching/yoga might also be a really good use of time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wulaw,

I'd suggest you find a really good personal trainer who has experience with weight loss.  You need someone who is at least in their 30s and is legit, not a meat head. 

If you purchased maybe 6 30 minute packages (or whatever package they might have that can get you started), he/she could get you started on a path without you doing too much too fast or vice versa.  It will be money well spent.

After that, you can decide to continue on your own or maybe work with the trainer once a week, or even once every few months to keep you on the right path.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've done 5x5 and I love the simplicity and effects it but I agree on getting a trainer.

The overhead press part of the 5x5 - be careful. I had an Olympic bar with maybe 15 lbs on each side so a total of 75lbs, a warm up set, and ruptured my bicep tendon and an orthopedic surgeon had to go fish it out from near my elbow. Wear and tear on the shoulder.

But the row, deadlift, bench and squats, especially if you start light and focus on form, are amazing. If I had to pick one exercise for the rest of my life it would be the squat. But the squat rack, Olympic bar, and just lifting weights is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

209.4 today.  Broke under 210 which is always fun whenever you see a 10 pound increment.  Even more fun knowing the next one of those is the big one and gets me under 200.  

Good thoughts on getting a trainer.  Might look into that sooner rather than later. 

Just got back from vacation and lost 1.5 pounds. It was funny I told my wife one day I felt like I'd been eating shit and a total pig (had ice cream twice, doritos, and 4 or 5 vodka's) and we added it up and I'd eaten about 2300 or 2400 calories.  I assume that I should be able to eat 2000 calories for the rest of my life at 180 or something like that and not gain any weight, but I'm not positive that that is actually the case.  I'm a bit afraid of gaining if I get back to a 1400 or 1500 calorie day which I've heard happens to some of the people from biggest loser or other issues of extreme weight loss. I don't know if 322- 190, for example, would qualify as extreme weight loss but I would assume it would. 

At any rate it's interesting to see where the boundaries are and how hard it would be to get to them in light of the small portion sizes and just flat out inability to tolerate some things like normal tortillas, rice, bread, fried foods, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Day 2 of my actual program of 5x5 (Monday was day 1) and today it’s squats, military press and deadlift. 
Monday was squats, bench and barbell row. 
apparently you do workout 1, rest, workout 2, rest, workout 1 again and then take the weekend off. 
then the next week workout 2, rest, workout 1, rest, workout 2. 
start with the bar and add 5 pounds every day except deadlift- where you start at 95 and add 10 pounds every day. 
allegedly at the end of a year doing this I will be able to squat 300, bench press 220, deadlift 400

i don’t know that I believe that but we shall see. 

209 as of this morning. My stretch foam was to see 199.9 by opening kick and looks like I won’t make that. Probably miss by like 3-5 pounds. Maybe not though- I’ve got 24 days to lose 9 pounds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just be careful with the military press. That’s how I ruptured my bicep tendon and ended up getting my bicep muscle fished out from down near my elbow and my shoulder rebuilt. It’s a great workout plan just adapt it to your specific capabilities and don’t look at the progression as a straight line. Expect to add more weight faster on some exercises than others. But as far as getting comfortable lifting free weights, the simplicity and repetition is wonderful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Just be careful with the military press. That’s how I ruptured my bicep tendon and ended up getting my bicep muscle fished out from down near my elbow and my shoulder rebuilt. It’s a great workout plan just adapt it to your specific capabilities and don’t look at the progression as a straight line. Expect to add more weight faster on some exercises than others. But as far as getting comfortable lifting free weights, the simplicity and repetition is wonderful.

They said 5 pounds a day and 10 on deadlift a day. Any way to tell how to “be careful” on military press?  I was literally pressing the bar is all today as the starting point. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

image.jpeg.a8a6188d69a173f128e2065b53c5efb7.jpeg

I wish man.  Nothing fried. No rice. Probably some other stuff that’s a no go too. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

203.4 as of this morning. Was hoping to be sub 200 by kick off of football season, but looks like I’m going to miss that just barely. Maybe by Alabama game. 
just got all my labs back and they were literally perfect. Nothing outside range and most o frost shit dead ass in the middle of normal. No longer prediabetic. Cholesterol is down. Good cholesterol is up. After my workout Friday I think I felt better than I ever have in my life. 
Doing the 5 X 5 where you essentially start with the bar (other than deadlift) and do 5 sets of 5 reps and add 5 pounds the next day you so that workout. 
up to: 

squat- 90 (squat both workout days)

barbell row- 80

military- 65

bench- 75

deadlift 135. 
It’s still easy to add every day- wonder how long that will be the case. 

monday- squat- barbell row- bench

wednewday- squat military deadlift

friday- squat babell row, bench. 
next week- flip it around so week 1 Wednesday is Monday and Friday and week 1 Monday and Friday is week 2 Wednesday. 
eliptical treadmill and stairmaster t/th. 

Awesome man. Keep it up!

• Hook 'Em 1

Great work, man. 

This thread inspired me to get serious about losing weight again, and I started my plan a little over two months ago.  I am down 10.5 lbs since then, but I have been trying to fight through a stubborn plateau for the past couple of weeks.

I've got a cruise vacation coming up in four weeks and I'd really like to be down another 5 lbs by the time that starts.

• Hook 'Em 3

Fwiw, I'm not sure if you're using barbells or dumbbells for the military press but I'm not a big fan of the former as I think it creates too much stress on the joint. 

You and I are about the same age; I've got years and years of consistent workouts stacked on top of each other and typically tell people getting back into it that you need to stay at low weight, higher reps to avoid injury (keeping consistent with your workout is one of the primary goals).  That said, I've been experimenting with higher weights, lower reps because I think the higher repetitions are putting extra stress on my joints generally (which isn't something I think you need to worry about in your 20's). 

Definitely staying active in middle age has it's own challenges the workout guides and personal trainers don't really address. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Fwiw, I'm not sure if you're using barbells or dumbbells for the military press but I'm not a big fan of the former as I think it creates too much stress on the joint. 

You and I are about the same age; I've got years and years of consistent workouts stacked on top of each other and typically tell people getting back into it that you need to stay at low weight, higher reps to avoid injury (keeping consistent with your workout is one of the primary goals).  That said, I've been experimenting with higher weights, lower reps because I think the higher repetitions are putting extra stress on my joints generally (which isn't something I think you need to worry about in your 20's). 

Definitely staying active in middle age has it's own challenges the workout guides and personal trainers don't really address. 

Barbells.  So would you suggest dumbell with 1/2 weight for both arms same combined weight?  Or is there some other thing that makes more sense?

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Barbells.  So would you suggest dumbell with 1/2 weight for both arms same combined weight?  Or is there some other thing that makes more sense?

REmove the weight of the bar (45 lbs) and then start at like 75% of the weight and go from there. So if you were lifting 145 lbs, I'd try two 35-40 lb barbells. See how that feels and adjust accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What Sydney wrote feels intuitively true (I really haven't used barbells since a shoulder impingement surgery in 2009).  I definitely don't feel like I can do 50% of my barbell weight on other exercises using dumbbells. 

I'm also a very big fan of overhand upright row; if you'll lean over a little at the waist and raise the bar no higher than the base of your rib cage you will keep the stress on the rear delts (it'll hit your traps, too, but that's not the goal).  It's not an exercise that wins awards at the beach but I think it helps keeps the shoulder development balanced (you'll hit the front plenty doing any chest exercise). 

Success and failure. 
My goal was to be 199.9 by opening kick of the texas game. I missed it. 202 this morning- so close. 
Down 120 pounds exactly today from my fattest. 
this was cool- I googled ideal weight chart- for 6’1” male many of the charts say healthy weight is 164-202. First time in my adult life ever making ideal weight on the chart. Other places I’ve seen overweight until you get to 189. So, not fully there on all charts but pretty damn close. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

I feel like an asshole asking... but with wegovy hype do you regret doing the surgery and not waiting for semaglutide?

Probably not. Maybe?  I think 2 things:

1) incredibly expensive- and expensive for life 

2) the reason is rather be on that is so I could go off the reservation. When you go off the res you put it all back in a hurry. With the cost and me wishing I didn’t have this as a new lifestyle I suspect that might not have worked for me. 
I am an addict. 

• Hook 'Em 1