Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Pate swap was yesterday in Fort Worth, my old man sent me a few pictures of mopars. Seems to have been a great day by all accounts. Anyone else go?

I didn’t go. I do however miss that museum. That place was a wonderland when I was a kid.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:05 AM, JSB said:

Taking the family to California this summer and we fly into LAX early on the first day. We will be spending the rest of the day at the Petersen. Pretty excited to check it out. 

Petersen is fantastic but realistically it will be at most a 2 hour visit . They have a private tour of the cars in the garage that aren’t on the floor that would extend this. 

Haven’t done it (yet) but I’m pretty sure it needs an advanced reservation.

I like the cut of your jib sir, instilling priorities on a family vacation to SoCal.

13 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

It's not at all on par with the Petersen, but if you're near LAX on the weekend, check out the Automobile Driving Museum. It's still a fun way to spend a couple of hours though. 

They give rides in 4-5 different cars each day, or at least they did before COVID. 

https://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/

Thanks that will be on the to-do list too

• Hook 'Em 1

For the Austin area, does anyone know of a place where I could rent a shop space with a vehicle lift?

Need to do a transmission swap & RMS for the '07 Tahoe & quotes are coming in around $ 4,600.00.

I can get an AutoZone unit with a [3 or 5... can't remember] year / unlimited mileage warranty, $ 1,850 after core return, so other than the RMS & fluids, that's a shitload of labor.

...Just need access to a lift.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

For the Austin area, does anyone know of a place where I could rent a shop space with a vehicle lift?

Need to do a transmission swap & RMS for the '07 Tahoe & quotes are coming in around $ 4,600.00.

I can get an AutoZone unit with a [3 or 5... can't remember] year / unlimited mileage warranty, $ 1,850 after core return, so other than the RMS & fluids, that's a shitload of labor.

You're a brave man buying a rebuilt trans from Autozone. Granted it comes w/a warranty but that doesn't mean I want to change it out every 18-24 months. Good luck bud!

Finally got the tail panel back from my guy who does pot metal restorations. It's stunning! I'm working the lights now and he's restoring the bezels as we speak. Once I get the bezels back and I finish polishing the taillight lenses, backside will be good. Minus exhaust tips...which will not stay where I want them. f44f2dbd403bd8a3bc1ae23663fe552a.jpg8176992d240fc8e4464143846bfe723a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Beautiful day, so went ahead and installed some new parts, fender mounted turn signals, antenna along w/rear wheel cylinder. Everything went well until I started bleeding brakes and the master cylinder started leaking at the mounting flange w/brake booster. Gut tells me it may need to be rebuilt...again. I'll work on that later.

Felt a bit defeated so went ahead and fired her up. Victory! Nothing like the sound and feel of a big block. Few pics of the vitals.678ff54e1ff4cccebf340b037f2474f3.jpg0e24fb1e6d35c8ab6bae725422ccadf6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

It appears that my fuel gauge has gone tits up. I noticed recently that it was still indicating full for an unusually long time, but thought nothing of it because it can really swing pretty dramatically either way. 

But today the needle is completely past the Full end of the spectrum. Lousy picture, but I think it gets the point across. 

I've tapped and flicked it as hard as I think is prudent to tap and flick 52 year old plastic, and I did my best Duke Boys impersonation by flying over a couple of railroad crossings just in case that might knock things loose, but no dice. 

Any ideas? It's not a huge issue or anything, and I can just make a point to top off the tank every hundred miles or so and never think about it again, but it would be nice if it was an easy fix. 

20220511_181301.jpg

Edit - seems like the fuel sending unit based on what I can surmise from some googling. 

I'll tinker a bit, but that seems like something both beyond my (very limited!!!) pay grade and also not really worth worrying about. I'll have my guy deal with it the next time he's doing something more important, but I can remember to just keep the tank reasonably full in the meantime.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

Went out and snugged up every wiring harness and miscellaneous electrical connection I could find and reach, and then drove it a mile or two around the neighborhood.

Needle moved up into the range of where it sometimes is with a full tank (and which it currently has) so I'll just keep an eye on it to see whether it starts to go down in a while. 

If it doesn't, and it's still way off, there's no danger of just ignoring the fuel gauge and leaving it alone, is there? The prospect of having a disconnected ground wire seems like it could potentially be problematic in certain circumstances. 

20220512_085722.jpg

I wouldn't want an open ground because it's just going to find an alternative ground on it's own...sometimes. Electricity is lazy and when it finds a ground it may not be the ground I want. If you're going to leave a wire open, wrap it up so it can't touch anything and potentially arch or create other problems.

From the sound of it you may have found the issues, loose wire/ground. Time will tell as you burn off gas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Any ideas? It's not a huge issue or anything, and I can just make a point to top off the tank every hundred miles or so and never think about it again, but it would be nice if it was an easy fix. 

What mother mopar said are the most likely problems  I had a similar issue, documented the diagnosis pages back and it was pissing me off. Ended up the the sending unit and ground was ok, the gauge needed replacement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:05 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Drag it to Houston.  There’s a shop that advertises on Craigslist that’s sub 3000 installed. 

Spent a lot of time restoring my tail lights this week. Learning the build dates/differences from 2 & 3 bulb configuration setups. Finally found a set of 3 bulb set up for my car (built after 1 Jan 69'). 2 bulbs at for cars built before 1 Jan. The more you know and stuff.

Sandblasted the backs, primed, painted, then polished the lenses w/6 coats of wax. Reassembled with new gaskets, nuts, and rubber seal. Got my trim re-chromed and installed as well. All said and done have about $550 in each light not including labor. Hardest part was masking off the lenses and painting the argent color inside.

Before and After54bc0707b10254a24c34ac6b3251274d.jpg4d45d62b98e6857f189a9d14c85ccf2d.jpg5a7221d117231bcb838115046f6919d6.jpg0f38fefd5497d581d617bb6005f0d0cf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1