Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

48 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Donewald likely not coming back per Gerry.

If accurate, guess the so called Kumbaya that existed on the staff after Beard's arrest has been overstated.  

RT better get his shit together quickly... both the roster and his staff needs work.  

Really disappointing if Donewald doesn't return...

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If accurate, guess the so called Kumbaya that existed on the staff after Beard's arrest has been overstated.  

RT better get his shit together quickly... both the roster and his staff needs work.  

Really disappointing if Donewald doesn't return...

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Donnewald is too good for his job. Guys get poached. It happens. No guarantee he would have stayed to coach under Beard. He probably wants another shot at a HC gig.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Donnewald is too good for his job. Guys get poached. It happens. No guarantee he would have stayed to coach under Beard. He probably wants another shot at a HC gig.

There's still time for RT to turn this offseason around, but not locking up Donewald for at least one more year is a big miss on RT's part.

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

There's still time for RT to turn this offseason around, but not locking up Donewald for at least one more year is a big miss on RT's part.

I don't think it's up to Terry. I don't think Donewald is leaving to go sit on another team's bench, either. 

It isn't any different than having a great OC or DC in football. Eventually they're going to test the waters for a bigger job. 

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Having a relatively efficient 25 ppg, high usage bucket getter

25 ppg?

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Getting Abmas is now absolutely critical.  Having a relatively efficient 25 ppg, high usage bucket getter on you team can cover a lot of other issues.  

Just going to hope the offense is in good hands with Haith on staff. Knowing who is actually going to be on the court is far more important to me right now than one assistant leaving, though Donewald was great. Getting Abmas would be a great start and hopefully ramp up the momentum again.

Also, Holland moved up to #2 in the final ESPN rankings.

12 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Is donewald retiring? It’s a little late to go get a HC job and if that’s what he wanted he would have stepped down after the EE loss and put his name out there. Not sure why he waited till now to make a decision but doesn’t feel like he’s leaving for anywhere else.

Yeah I need to see where he ends up to determine my ultimate outrage level at this news. 

Gerry with a few updates:

-Said he received new info that has him believing it is not a lock that Dillon Mitchell turns pro like previously thought

-Still feels good about Disu returning

-None of the 3 assistants will have the associate head coach title and that's been the plan for awhile. Haith left an associate head coach title at Memphis to come back to Texas as an assistant.

-Donewald not returning has little to do with Terry. He wanted Donewald back. Sounds like Donewald may not have been thrilled that another offensive guy was brought in (Haith).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

-Said he received new info that has him believing it is not a lock that Dillon Mitchell turns pro like previously thought

-None of the 3 assistants will have the associate head coach title and that's been the plan for awhile. Haith left an associate head coach title at Memphis to come back to Texas as an assistant.

-Donewald not returning has little to do with Terry. He wanted Donewald back. Sounds like Donewald may not have been thrilled that another offensive guy was brought in (Haith).

I think Mitchell is projected to be drafted in the 20-30 range.  Could he play himself into the top ten with a good year?  Absurd athlete, will likely be a featured guy next year.  Wishcasting at this point, I know.

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Said he received new info that has him believing it is not a lock that Dillon Mitchell turns pro like previously thought

And yet when I posted he was retaining his eligibility, everyone was like He AiNt CoMiNg BaCk

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Donewald not returning has little to do with Terry. He wanted Donewald back. Sounds like Donewald may not have been thrilled that another offensive guy was brought in (Haith).

Well, RT brought in Haith so.......

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Getting Abmas is now absolutely critical. 

Pretty much.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Well, RT brought in Haith so.......

Pretty sure it wouldn’t have been the first staff in CBB history to have multiple guys who specialize in the same thing. Haith is obviously a big recruiter as well. I’m sure they could have coexisted unless there is some background info that they hate each other that I am unaware of.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I think Mitchell is projected to be drafted in the 20-30 range.  Could he play himself into the top ten with a good year?  Absurd athlete, will likely be a featured guy next year.  Wishcasting at this point, I know.

Would be easy to be featured when the roster is only Brock, Disu, and Mitchell!!!!!! - Rockethorn probably.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bullshit... It has A LOT to do with RT and his actions thus far...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

As soon as Haith was hired I wondered what Donewald thought about that. I assumed  he wanted the Associate HC position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bullshit... It has A LOT to do with RT and his actions thus far...

giphy.gif

God forbid he bring in an assistant coach to fill a staff opening that was already present. The horror.

The dude chose to move on. He is a good coach. Good luck to him moving forward.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Does anyone know if the BOR has approved RT's contract yet? Maybe there is still time for us to back out given how things are going.

Mr. "I've never heard a Black person speak before and find it confusing" coming in with another hot take!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Even though I did not like the hire I thought RT deserved our support. With the news that Coach Bob is leaving…fuck that.  

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rodney Terry burned our crops and poisoned our water supply. 

And salted the soil. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

God forbid he bring in an assistant coach to fill a staff opening that was already present. The horror.  The dude chose to move on. He is a good coach. Good luck to him moving forward.

You're moving the goalposts.  If RT truly wanted to keep Donewald, he should have made it a priority and closed that deal first.

RT is responsible for his staff... if Donewald leaves, it's fair to criticize RT about this... 

Thinking there wasn't going to be turnover when none of these coaches or players signed up for Rodney Terry is ridiculous. I haven't seen him get any credit for keeping one of the top 5 HS seniors committed. Anyone with a brain should have expected both he and AJ to decommit. 

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

You're moving the goalposts.  If RT truly wanted to keep Donewald, he should have made it a priority and closed that deal first.

RT is responsible for his staff... if Donewald leaves, it's fair to criticize RT about this... 

You can want to keep someone and have the feeling not be mutual. It takes two to make a deal.

The notion by some that Texas can just keep or get a coach or player in any sport just by trying hard is always funny to see. "Texas should have just closed the deal!! It's that easy!!!"

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The casual fan didn't even know Bob Donewald existed until about 3 months ago.

So what’s your point?  Those who did know, knew how valuable he was and how much the players liked him.  Several on here posted that it was one of the selling points for RT getting the job that he would keep the staff together.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You can want to keep someone and have the feeling not be mutual. It takes two to make a deal.  The notion by some that Texas can just keep a coach or player in any sport just by trying hard is always funny to see. 

It's funny to watch excuses for RT's struggles flow so easily as well.  If you're happy with his results this off-season, that's fine for you.

It taking so long to get a decision regarding Donewald's status at Texas means RT had a decent shot to keep him... so if Donewald leaves, it's an opportunity missed for RT.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

5 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

So what’s your point?  Those who did know, knew how valuable he was and how much the players liked him.  Several on here posted that it was one of the selling points for RT getting the job that he would keep the staff together.  

And the players really liked Steve McClain, Chris Ogden, Brock Berenato, Parker Sexton and Brandon Chappell too. 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

It taking so long to get a decision regarding Donewald's status at Texas means RT had a decent shot to keep him... so if Donewald leaves, it's an opportunity missed for RT.

You got a source on this? Who's to say Donewald hasn't been packed up and gone for weeks? You don't have to formally announce anything when a coach leaves.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

And the players really liked Steve McClain, Chris Ogden, Brock Berenato, Parker Sexton and Brandon Chappell too. 

Yeah and none of them were as responsible for our success as Bob. 
Haith is a cheater and a severe downgrade. 

8 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Yeah and none of them were as responsible for our success as Bob. 
Haith is a cheater and a severe downgrade. 

Ah, the classic 'the assistant coach was actually the reason the team was successful'. Never heard that one before.

Thank goodness all other college basketball coaches outside of Frank Haith are saints. 

Edited by Hookem2147

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You got a source on this? Who's to say Donewald hasn't been packed up and gone for weeks? You don't have to formally announce anything when a coach leaves.

Well if you've got valuable intel that proves Donewald was never staying, that would be great to see. 😋

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Thinking there wasn't going to be turnover when none of these coaches or players signed up for Rodney Terry is ridiculous.

We were sold by Gerry mostly that there would be massive staff continuity and the other one in danger of going was Reilly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We were sold by Gerry mostly that there would be massive staff continuity and the other one in danger of going was Reilly. 

I mean the entire staff is coming back except Donewald and Reilly. So, there is massive staff continuity, and Haith is Donewald's equal at the very least, but probably a much better recruiter.

Edited by HtownHorn