2023 Houston Mayoral Race

tx 3 putt

55 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Whitmire will win, he will be good for Houston, and the histrionics will be long forgotten after 6 months.

This is my feeling. But I’m now in San Antonio Metro. my almost 3 years here have made me too Puro for you people.

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Out of curiosity, why do you think he'll be good for Houston? This is a legitimate question, not some bait or attempt to trap you. 

After winning, I think he suppresses the last yelps of a hurt dog, Houston Republicans, more than any other person. With them content, that leaves the carnival barkers behind and able to get policy done. He’s not a DC guy and doesn’t have to defend any outlandish votes, and has been intimately involved in state decision making for 50 years representing Houston.

City council is currently 11-5 Democrat, with 2 of those 5 Republicans somehow elected at large. This idea he comes out as a Republican after the election to “run” the city government in the minority party is laughable to me especially if he’s staring down a 13-3 disadvantage.

I’ll probably come back to this, but when you’re the Democratic architect of criminal justice reform in a state that hasn’t had a Dem majority in 30 years it blunts some of the biggest criticisms you’ll get from opposition.

Edited by StassneyHorn

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Both sides are already gearing up for a run-off.  It will be whoever turns out their coalition better.  Which is 100% advantage Whitmire - older, whiter, more conservative.  They show up.

Let’s do an informal poll - who honestly plans on showing and voting in the run off …

yes for me 

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Let’s do an informal poll - who honestly plans on showing and voting in the run off …

yes for me 

Of course, why would I only first the vote time?  The second one counts more

On 11/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, Js1 said:

Both sides are already gearing up for a run-off.  It will be whoever turns out their coalition better.  Which is 100% advantage Whitmire - older, whiter, more conservative.  They show up.

Plus he has a shit-ton more money to spend. 

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Whitmire 44, SJL 36.  Too many examples of the 2nd place finisher winning the runoff. 

Whitmire will have all the GOP behind him - in Harris alone, he will get most of Garcia’s 8% if you look at who was supporting Gilbert Garcia. Sheila crushed the City of Houston part of Fort Bend County (3600-590 lol) but it’s too small to carry her in a run-off. 

Run-off favors the more conservative/GOP aligned candidate bc they will turn out in a month 

Edited by Js1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i can't believe they didn't even mention Whitmire's full scale dismantling of the Texas Youth Commission in 2007. i lived that. he made his side piece the conservator lol. it was rough.

Houston R voters celebrate stuff like this 

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ll be so glad when Sly Turner is outta here. Here’s his response to a KPRC reporter asking about what’s being done about the water pressure problems as a result of 500 busted pipes. 

He's out of the office, he DGAF. I also do think he's a slimebag who's solely in it for the grift the office provides. 

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Someone just sent this to me, not sure if real or one of those conspiracy websites. Apparently the guy who SJL was berating in the audio clip committed suicide a few days after it was released.

https://aubreyrtaylor.blogspot.com/2023/11/jerome-brooks-staffer-who-was-called.html?m=1

There is a Jerome Brooks who passed away on Oct 29th (the date claimed in that blog) in Austin, Texas, however he worked at Nike, so that seems to be a bit of an interesting coincidence.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/jerome-brooks-obituary?id=53576947

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jerome-brooks

The only other links about SJL's staffer committing suicide all point to the blogspot posting you listed.

If her staffer committed suicide after the tape came out, Whitmire would be holding a press conference about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, HRSchenker said:

Someone just sent this to me, not sure if real or one of those conspiracy websites. Apparently the guy who SJL was berating in the audio clip committed suicide a few days after it was released.

1995 called.  They want their website back.  

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I voted there on Saturday. Someone said something about no phones, and I said ok. The phone was in my pocket.

I know you can’t use your phone but she was like aggressively not letting me enter until I turned it off. Voting Nazi over there 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is there a voting law about turning off a phone ringer. I put nothing past Texas lawmakers when it comes to suppressing votes but even that seems made up @Js1

I just assumed it was some bitchy voting Nazi Karen. More a fair warning to others voting this week.