2023 Houston Mayoral Race

tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is there a voting law about turning off a phone ringer. I put nothing past Texas lawmakers when it comes to suppressing votes but even that seems made up @Js1

depends how your precinct votes. Mine votes heavy dem, so if one cell phone is found it could be accessing voting machines and changing votes. Hence the votes from my entire precinct has to be thrown out 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

land slide 

abbott / patrick / paxton got their man 

You keep saying that like filling potholes is some kind of partisan issue.  

I’ll think you’ll be surprised by his willingness to take public positions opposing them now that he’s in a position to profit from it and far more shielded from their disfavor.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

land slide 

LOL anyone with a brain and who wants the good of the city would vote for Whitmire. It’s not some fucking evil conspiracy. No surprise the wealthiest and most educated parts of the city helped us avoid a Shejack disaster. You supported Dusty to the bitter end despite it being clear to everyone he was holding the Astros back so I am not surprised you back Shejack.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

This is a terrible way to think about this for reasons I’ve already posted.  Just because a guy can listen and nod doesn’t mean he’s on your side.

it was always his to lose. the race for his sea will be interesting to watch

land slide 

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

You keep saying that like filling potholes is some kind of partisan issue.  

I’ll think you’ll be surprised by his willingness to take public positions opposing them now that he’s in a position to profit from it and far more shielded from their disfavor.  

39 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

This is a terrible way to think about this for reasons I’ve already posted.  Just because a guy can listen and nod doesn’t mean he’s on your side.

1569e421-d046-4723-9666-2f0575007e3b_tex

On 12/9/2023 at 6:04 PM, Macklemore said:

Thankfully Houston still has neighborhoods like Tanglewood, River Oaks, Boulevard Oaks, Kingwood and the good parts of Spring Branch with enough voters who lean Republican to prevent Shejack Lee from ever getting elected. 

I don't think that "this is what Tanglewood and River Oaks wanted" is quite the selling point you think it is. Anyway, we'll see on Whitmire. He got a lot of money from a lot of folks, some of them very, very conservative. We're about to find out what they want in return.

SJL filed to run for her House seat today. Here's a live look at Amanda Edwards:

Spoiler

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We're about to find out what they want in return.

Reveal hidden contents

election ‘reform’ in harris county is my guess. Have to keep voter engagement very low, limit access as much as possible

harris county area and dfw is a huge voting block 

next big question, who replaces ogg ?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

election ‘reform’ in harris county is my guess. Have to keep voter engagement very low, limit access as much as possible

harris county area and dfw is a huge voting block 

next big question, who replaces ogg ?

I don’t know about voter reform. Isn’t that controlled by the county?

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know about voter reform. Isn’t that controlled by the county?

county runs elections. Knocking hildago out of office has to be very high on their list. Per texags, her arrest is happening any day now (going on 5 years) 

going deeper here - if whitmire plays along with ‘harris county is full of voter fraud’ that plays into abbott / partick / paxton hands. They can appoint their own person to over see elections 

I don’t buy into the idea that Whitmire is some shill of Abbott. Is he more conservative than SJL? Probably but is that saying much. Or actually I have no idea what SJL stands for other than getting herself on camera and re-elected. 

Having a “conservative” democrat elected as Houston mayor puts Whitmire in the dead center. I will bet that liberals will say he’s conservative and conservatives will say he’s liberal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don't think that "this is what Tanglewood and River Oaks wanted" is quite the selling point you think it is. Anyway, we'll see on Whitmire. He got a lot of money from a lot of folks, some of them very, very conservative. We're about to find out what they want in return.

SJL filed to run for her House seat today. Here's a live look at Amanda Edwards:

Reveal hidden contents

To make sure you're aware, the poster to whom you're responding has expressed the following sentiments on this forum:

• Desire to shoot migrants at the southern border.
  • Wish that Tucker Carlson would run for president.
  • Remorse that the US doesn't have a monarchy.

So, yeah, you could say his political judgment might be a bit suspect.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t buy into the idea that Whitmire is some shill of Abbott. Is he more conservative than SJL? Probably but is that saying much. Or actually I have no idea what SJL stands for other than getting herself on camera and re-elected. 

Having a “conservative” democrat elected as Houston mayor puts Whitmire in the dead center. I will bet that liberals will say he’s conservative and conservatives will say he’s liberal. 

how much power does the mayor actually have ?

the good parts of Spring Branch

oh I know this kind of Memorial area person... wants to make SBISD never gets geographic representation on the school board so that the south side of I-10 can make all the policy decisions for the north side.  You know... "don't HISD my SBISD" 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

county runs elections. Knocking hildago out of office has to be very high on their list. Per texags, her arrest is happening any day now (going on 5 years) 

going deeper here - if whitmire plays along with ‘harris county is full of voter fraud’ that plays into abbott / partick / paxton hands. They can appoint their own person to over see elections 

Getting Harris County Judge back in GOP hands is my #1 priority as a voter for local elections. I’m pretty confident that we’ll get it back next election.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Getting Harris County Judge back in GOP hands is my #1 priority as a voter for local elections. I’m pretty confident that we’ll get it back next election.

Why the neg, Icono? You've said all of those things. Do you simply prefer your past political commentary not to be known? Does it hurt your feelings that your feeble ruse with the name change has fooled no one on this board? Do you really presume you're smarter than everyone else? Are you really that arrogant and out of touch?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

To make sure you're aware, the poster to whom you're responding has expressed the following sentiments on this forum:

• Desire to shoot migrants at the southern border.
  • Wish that Tucker Carlson would run for president.
  • Remorse that the US doesn't have a monarchy.

So, yeah, you could say his political judgment might be a bit suspect.

I negged you because it was a personal attack and not relevant to the discussion of Houston/Harris County local elections. For the millionth time, I have been IP address checked by both immamac and haydenhorn. I’m not Icono but the truth doesn’t sit well with your rent free obsession in your mind that I am.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Fuck You 4

The local gop and dem parties have one main job, find local candidates. Harris county gop needs to focus on local issues and stay away from national rhetoric, step 1. Maga gqp doesnt play well in the bigger cities. That county commissioner court is solid Dem. Lesley Briones will be next up for county judge if hildago can move on to the house 

fort bend county is also a key area for both parties. 

10 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I negged you because it was a personal attack and not relevant to the discussion of Houston/Harris County local elections. For the millionth time, I have been IP address checked by both immamac and haydenhorn. I’m not Icono but the truth doesn’t sit well with your rent free obsession in your mind that I am.

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I just looked through some of Whitmires voting record in the Texas Leg, and I didn't really see much cause for concern by the folks who think he's a moderate Republican.  He's a bit moderate as a Dem, but votes with that group the majority of the time. His big exceptions are mostly related to business and energy bills, primarily ones that provide tax incentives or some sort of economic benefits to big business.  That's not really surprising for someone who comes from Texas. 

Unless I'm missing something here, he seems fairly liberal, and him leaning into the right wing would be a considerable change of character. I really can't understand why moderate Dems wouldn't want this guy to win over SJL, who is basically a worthless grifter.

https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/5464/john-whitmire

Just a few issues I see him either supporting or pushing back on R legislation:

Voted against R Voter Fraud bills, such as more oversight by Sec of State, increasing voter fraud to felony, changes to voting registration rules, etc
Seems to support police bills about 50/50 depending on the purpose. I could see some Dems taking issue with some votes there. 
against school vouchers
against anti-trans bills
against removing gun permit reqs, against storage of guns on school campuses and places of worship
against banning CRT
voted for NIL in college sports
supported abortion rights for women
voted for lowering insulin costs to $50
vote for reforming school standards for reporting sexual violence

(note that the Republicans have a majority in the Texas Senate, and every bill they wanted to pass was passed. His votes were mostly unimportant)

Edited by Dutchrudder

44 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I just looked through some of Whitmires voting record in the Texas Leg, and I didn't really see much cause for concern by the folks who think he's a moderate Republican.  He's a bit moderate as a Dem, but votes with that group the majority of the time. His big exceptions are mostly related to business and energy bills, primarily ones that provide tax incentives or some sort of economic benefits to big business.  That's not really surprising for someone who comes from Texas. 

Unless I'm missing something here, he seems fairly liberal, and him leaning into the right wing would be a considerable change of character. I really can't understand why moderate Dems wouldn't want this guy to win over SJL, who is basically a worthless grifter.

Voted against R Voter Fraud bills, such as more oversight by Sec of State, increasing voter fraud to felony, changes to voting registration rules, etc
Seems to support police bills about 50/50 depending on the purpose. I could see some Dems taking issue with some votes there. 
against school vouchers
against anti-trans bills
against removing gun permit reqs, against storage of guns on school campuses and places of worship
against banning CRT

(note that the Republicans have a majority in the Texas Senate, and every bill they wanted to pass was passed. His votes were mostly unimportant)

quality post. And a Houston mayor needs to have a good relationship with business especially energy companies.  Even on that note, SJL has always received money from O&G companies as well. 

how much power does the mayor actually have ?

agree that the Houston mayor isn't the most powerful position in the world. Recent history has taught us that unless the screws up or wants out, Whitmire will be mayor for the next 8 years. Keep the trash schedule somewhat consistent, fill pot holes, keep the crime rate some what low, and attempt to keep the city budget/pensions going in the right direction. Do that and he will won't have a serious competitor. 

49 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

against school vouchers
against anti-trans bills
against banning CRT

You're correct in that his voting record is fairly straight-ahead Dem. Although he does seem weirdly obsessed with a pretty regressive vision of criminal justice.

It's mostly just mistrust. He lost his nerve and bailed on his fellow Democrats during redistricting in 2003. All the bigwig local Republicans jumped on his bandwagon very early in the race, even though there were true Republicans in the race. They didn't make any effort to draft a candidate, either. Fertitta hosted his campaign kick off party. And a big part of his campaign message was literally "I'm buddies with people in Austin, so they'll stop picking on us so much". Obviously remains to be seen, but that attitude came across to me as hopelessly naive.

Thankfully Houston still has neighborhoods like Tanglewood, River Oaks, Boulevard Oaks, Kingwood and the good parts of Spring Branch with enough voters who lean Republican to prevent Shejack Lee from ever getting elected. 

I take it you live in Kingwood?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

You're correct in that his voting record is fairly straight-ahead Dem. Although he does seem weirdly obsessed with a pretty regressive vision of criminal justice.

It's mostly just mistrust. He lost his nerve and bailed on his fellow Democrats during redistricting in 2003. All the bigwig local Republicans jumped on his bandwagon very early in the race, even though there were true Republicans in the race. They didn't make any effort to draft a candidate, either. Fertitta hosted his campaign kick off party. And a big part of his campaign message was literally "I'm buddies with people in Austin, so they'll stop picking on us so much". Obviously remains to be seen, but that attitude came across to me as hopelessly naive.

GOP voters and donors were being pragmatic. The specter of Shejack being elected scared the hell out of us. I much rather have a mayoral candidate palatable to voters who have voted Dem recently in traditional Republican districts who is a Dem than flameout with a no name GOP candidate and having the disaster of Shejack of being elected. Preventing her from ever fouling City Hall was the number 1 priority.

• Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Exactly why I hoped SJL would win.  Fort Bend needs more of Harris County’s refugees. 

Fuck you and people who think like you. I love my hometown and never want to see it become a shell of what it used to be like Atlanta, Detroit, New Orleans and St Louis. 

• Fuck You 5

41 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Fuck you and people who think like you. I love my hometown and never want to see it become a shell of what it used to be like Atlanta, Detroit, New Orleans and St Louis. 

Lol. I don’t vote there. Your neighbors do.  Sometimes things need to get worse before it’s clear how to make them better.   

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Detroit and Atlanta are much better now. Don’t know enough about Republican places like Missouri and Louisiana for an opinion.

Where else could Detroit go but up?  Traffic aside, Atlanta is nice, and I don’t understand why it’d be mentioned in same regards as anything Detroit. 

Yea we agree more than you think. Detroit is going to be an enormous benefactor of alternative/clean energy and Michigan is already positioning itself with the rest of the Great Lakes Region to become a destination spot as climate change worsens.

Atlanta shit talk is same as Memphis shit talk and Detroit shit talk and it’s painfully obvious why.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Yea we agree more than you think. Detroit is going to be an enormous benefactor of alternative/clean energy and Michigan is already positioning itself with the rest of the Great Lakes Region to become a destination spot as climate change worsens.

Atlanta shit talk is same as Memphis shit talk and Detroit shit talk and it’s painfully obvious why.

We have different experiences with Memphis. I have yet to have a single positive experience there.  

Detroit could be nice af, but <obvious> it needs a serious fucking rebuild.  I’m not super familiar with it, never spent any real long time there, but that’s my macro eyeball outlook.  I remember enjoying it more than most/all of the places I visited in Ohio.