2023 Houston Mayoral Race

tx 3 putt

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Dumb, Texas gqp leak 

maybe, maybe not either way its true and as others have posted this isn't news to those who follow politics. She's a narcissistic cunt who doesn't deserve to be a congress person let alone the mayor of Houston. But she'll probably win and continue the city hall grift

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/22/2023 at 9:36 AM, Js1 said:

Everyone knows / has known that stuff. Pretty obvious leak from the Texas GOP’s favorite Democrat 

On 10/22/2023 at 1:35 PM, StassneyHorn said:

SJL has always been that person.

Yup, it’s pretty well known she’s like this. I’m not sure what the purpose was of leaking that as I don’t think it will do a lot of damage.

It’s also well known she takes CP time to a whole other level.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 4:25 AM, Smax said:

maybe, maybe not either way its true and as others have posted this isn't news to those who follow politics. She's a narcissistic cunt who doesn't deserve to be a congress person let alone the mayor of Houston. But she'll probably win and continue the city hall grift

I voted for her to get her out of Congress. Need new blood in DC first and foremost. 

I fucking despise SJL. I've hated her for more than a decade, and there have been multiple articles written about here running down all the ways in which she is a fucking piece of shit person for years now. She's always graded as the shittest congress person to work for, although I admit I haven't perused those lists since MAGA became a thing. She has the largest turnover of staff every year. I'm absolutely not going to vote for her for Mayor. 

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I fucking despise SJL. I've hated her for more than a decade, and there have been multiple articles written about here running down all the ways in which she is a fucking piece of shit person for years now. She's always graded as the shittest congress person to work for, although I admit I haven't perused those lists since MAGA became a thing. She has the largest turnover of staff every year. I'm absolutely not going to vote for her for Mayor. 

Whitmore should pull in enough to avoid the run off. He’ll get the R vote for sure 

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Just wanted to chime in that I knew SJL's son in middle school and if time travel is invented in my lifetime, there's going to be an 8th grader getting his ass beat by a elderly man in strange clothes at some point.

Sir, that would be you putting a whoopin' on what I can only assume is the next US-H18 representative. 

Gilbert Garcia is spending a fuckton of money. I've gotten more mail from him than all other candidates combined.

I was planning to vote SJL because a bunch of people that suck seem to really, really hate her (Mattress Mack). Then I realized that's literally why people vote for Donald Trump, so I'm back to the drawing board. Planning to early vote this week and still have no idea what I'm gonna do.

Gilbert Garcia is spending a fuckton of money. I've gotten more mail from him than all other candidates combined.
I was planning to vote SJL because a bunch of people that suck seem to really, really hate her (Mattress Mack). Then I realized that's literally why people vote for Donald Trump, so I'm back to the drawing board. Planning to early vote this week and still have no idea what I'm gonna do.

I’m not voting for SJL in the general. I don’t like the idea of an ancient, career politician who hasn’t worked at the local level in decades coming in and taking the job as a vanity gig in their last stop before retirement.

In the runoff, when that is both of the choices, yeah the “I probably want to be on the other side of the aggy belt, Mattress Mac, etc” line is admittedly appealing. I also think Whitmire’s record on crime goes way too far toward cruelty.

Garcia seems okay but I need to to more research.
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Garcia seems okay but I need to to more research.

Garcia seems like he’s trying to be all things to all people. I checked out his website to see what his positions are, and it’s nothing but empty rhetoric. He’s spent a ton of (his own?) money and I still don’t have a clue about him. Weird campaign.

Who do you like in the first round? Today is research day for me. 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Whitmire seems like the guy, along with Ogg, who gets Houston/Harris County to go along with the Texas GOP’s plans for Houston. Both need to not be in office after 2024. 

This is the big concern. The state is going to continue to try to push around Houston and Harris County. Whitmire’s response is that he’s buddies with all those guys, so they’ll take it easy on him/us. That strains credibility. I’m sure SJL will be more than happy to fight them tooth and nail. On the other hand, does SJL as mayor make them even more motivated to shit on us?

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Garcia seems like he’s trying to be all things to all people. I checked out his website to see what his positions are, and it’s nothing but empty rhetoric. He’s spent a ton of (his own?) money and I still don’t have a clue about him. Weird campaign.

Who do you like in the first round? Today is research day for me. 

This is the big concern. The state is going to continue to try to push around Houston and Harris County. Whitmire’s response is that he’s buddies with all those guys, so they’ll take it easy on him/us. That strains credibility. I’m sure SJL will be more than happy to fight them tooth and nail. On the other hand, does SJL as mayor make them even more motivated to shit on us?

They’re going to do it regardless. Especially as long as Lina remains County Judge. 

I saw voting for SJL as three things - she’ll fight back against the Texas GOP, she’s out of Congress for someone younger/better (Amanda Edwards) and she stops Whitmire 

I also get an Eric Johnson vibe from him that Whitmire will flip parties as soon as he finds he has the credibility to do it. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They’re going to do it regardless. Especially as long as Lina remains County Judge. 

I saw voting for SJL as three things - she’ll fight back against the Texas GOP, she’s out of Congress for someone younger/better (Amanda Edwards) and she stops Whitmire 

I also get an Eric Johnson vibe from him that Whitmire will flip parties as soon as he finds he has the credibility to do it. 

If Whitmire was going to flip parties it would have made a lot more sense to do it 10 years ago.  Instead he's stuck in a powerless role in the Senate, each term draining away any hope he might have once had towards a higher office. 

It's mayor or bust for him, imo. 

I just don't see SJL as capable managing a diverse Houston set of constituencies, particularly industry and traditional Republican leaning firms, and as a mayor I think you HAVE to do that.  I mean, she can't even run her own office with a staff of what 10?  20?  Now you're going to make her responsible for 22,000?

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Id like someone to speak more to the "Whitmore is basically a republican" accusations. Where, exactly, is this coming form? I'm legitimately asking, I know only the basics about the guy. What's the actual meat here?

He's the defacto candidate for the GOP donors.  He's backed by Ferttita, Mattress MAGA and the rest of the Mealer crowd.  He's the Texas GOP's Favorite Democrat for a reason. 

He's not "basically a Republican" - he's more like a Machin.  He's an extremely conservative Democrat, but those are a hell of a lot closer to being GOP than being Democrats these days. 

Some goodies:

(In 2021, Last Week Tonight With John Oliver shared a clip of Whitmire explaining the “real solution” to the lack of air conditioning in Texas prisons, where heat has killed more than 270 people since 2001: “Don’t commit a crime and you can stay home and be cool.”) 

If Texas’s expansive modern prison system, renowned for its cruelty, has a single architect, it may well be John Whitmire. With the support of then-governor (and revered liberal paragon) Ann Richards, he overhauled the entire penal code in 1993, resulting in harsher, longer sentences for violent and nonviolent offenders. (Whitmire, now the dean of the state Senate, had already held the seat for 10 years at that point.) George W. Bush, the next governor, cheered Whitmire on as he continued his crusade. The prison population nearly doubled in just five years, and the number of its prison beds grew apace, eclipsing those even in California, a state which then had 70 percent more people. With a $2.5 billion price tag, the Texas prison construction spree was one of the largest public works projects in the country.

As a result, Whitmire has tried to have it both ways on crime. He uses his prior position bolstering Texas’s punishment system to burnish his image as a firm, uncompromising justiciar, doling out grueling sentences to so-called career criminals. “Sometimes, I think some of my colleagues and other elected officials need to be held up at gunpoint,” Whitmire wrote in a 1995 Dallas Morning News op-ed recounting his family’s own such experience. “Then they would take this as seriously as I do.” But he also uses his later shift to a decarceral, smart-on-crime approach—impelled, mostly, by budgetary shortfalls—to claim a mantle as a liberal reformer.

State Senator John Whitmire wants to bring 200 DPS troopers to Houston to aid local police if he’s elected mayor. Local officials in Austin and Dallas say DPS deployments in those cities led to racially targeted traffic stops and arrests.

If you recall the 2003 Texas Democrats who fled to NM to oppose the shitty redistricting, he abandoned them and came back to Texas before they could go to DC and make their case nationally.  

The runaway Texans took a dim view of Mr. Whitmire's move. ''He was one of the main cheerleaders in terms of keeping us together, talking about the things we should be doing,'' Senator Royce West of Dallas said. ''And then to see one of the main cheerleaders quit in the second quarter of the game, you feel betrayed.''

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

If Whitmire was going to flip parties it would have made a lot more sense to do it 10 years ago.  Instead he's stuck in a powerless role in the Senate, each term draining away any hope he might have once had towards a higher office. 

I just have this bad feeling in the back of my mind / in my gut that the Texas GOP is more than happy to see him win / rooting him on, and he flips in 2025, and then they crow on and on about how the GOP has the mayors of Dallas and Houston and this sets back Texas even having a *miniscule chance* of becoming blue/purple by another decade, because the 2 largest cities in Texas, and 2 of the top 10 in the country, now have GOP governors.

SJL has been my congresswoman for 18 years now. She ignores my neighborhood and the surrounding ones, as far as I can tell.

She also has always been high on the list of congress members who abuse their staff.

I usually vote Democrat but I've long voted against her in every race. That will continue. And since Whitmire is her main competition, I will be voting for him.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I wish Hollins had stayed in the race 

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

Same, but he wisely saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to be able to win with Whitmire and SJL in the race. I'm hoping he wins Controller and then can run for mayor when the geriatrics finally retire.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

I see the whole taking $ from Repubs….  But is that bad? 

That's where I'm at.  If he's going to lose almost the entirety of the African American vote, is it somehow a character defect if he wants consultation on how to appeal to moderate Republicans?  The nutters aren't voting for anyone with a D by their name. 

I feel like national politics has infected everything; there's lots of common ground between both parties on local issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1