• Yes, whenever possible
    • No, I'll take my chances if something happens
    • Got guns at home, don't carry outside of home
    • No, but not against it. Come to think of it, I should get a gun
    • No I don't
    • Yes I do, but concealed
    • Yes, and you will see what I'm packing chief

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Wait now, you told me they were all basically the same weapons since WWII. Those don't sound like the same things at all. 

I explicitly said there have been innovations in optics.  Read it again.  The basic functions of the platform itself have changed very little

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

But if you were pressed into service, right now, something tells me that you'd much prefer all of the modern weaponry you could get your hand on, as opposed to weapons even from the Vietnam era. Why do you think that is?

Of course.  I'd want first and foremost to be able to see target in low light.  I'd also want a rifle as light as possible.  I'd also know that despite all the cosmetic changes, I could count on the salty Vietnam vet to be able to easily field strip and clean my "modern" rifle that he used decades past.  

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If you want to quibble on gas operated semi-autos as you google furiously, there are gas pistons and direct impingement variations.  The DI again, goes back to 1957.  Piston even further.  1856 to be exact

I assure you, I'm not googling furiously. I'm about to quit this thread for a bit and do some actual work. But I notice you do seem to focus on very specific details, but ignore the parts of my posts that are much more basic:

edit: you answered the question...sort of. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you're telling me that there's a cultural shift that has proven problematic around firearms in the last 20-30 years, and much like the proliferation and popularity of social media or the Kardashians, well, I can certainly agree with you there, for sure. What has driven that change, do you think?

Odd that the proliferation of these weapons seems to directly mirror the growth of militia groups--and not exactly well-regulated ones at that--that skyrocketed right around the time a black man was elected president. Completely coincidentally, of course. 

So it's safe to say that very few of these weapons will ever be used for hunting.

On 3/28/2023 at 2:18 PM, closetohumping said:

At all times, or wherever possible?  No judgement, just curious. Don't want to CR this up.   Most of my Texas friends do indeed. 

@immamac  This may not be the appropriate forum.  Can you move it to.........to.......hobbies?

never, i'm not a small-dicked pussy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Fear, you don’t care about children being slaughtered, small dicks….?

Does that crap have a place in an adult discussion about a serious topic?

No. But neither does "nothing can ever be done because blah blah blah both sides, so what does it matter."

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, are you telling me that rifles and pistols we have today are the exact same as the ones that have been available since the end of WWII? There haven't been any technological advances or changes in things like muzzle speed, velocity, auto and semi-auto loading, clip capacity, firearm weight, hollow point bullets, etc? Or the ability to modify weapons with shit like bump stocks, etc? Just the same guns? Come the fuck on man. We all know that is absolutely not true.

Also, at the very least, there was a 10 year assault rifle ban for awhile there form '94 to 2004 or so, so uh, there has been at least some hiccup in availability. 

And for the record, I'm not anti-gun. I hunt a little but, not much. My father in law has a gun safe with about 30 various pistols and rifles. If someone wants to have a pistol or shotgun for home or mobile protection, whatever fine, I get that on some level. But I don't understand the AR shit at all, as it's not the most efficient weapon for hunting. When I hunt I take a bolt action rifle and about 3 rounds (granted I exclusively deer hunt, not familiar with duck or dove or any other kind of hunting). But AR's aren't in me experience the best for hunting, and I've never needed more than 2 bullets, so non bolt action or high capacity weapons just sort of have me scratching my head in regards to hunting, or generally anything. And what I really don't understand, if those are your interests in weapons, why the hang up about longer times to buy weapons, and thorough background checks? Hunting season is a few months a year, I can fucking plan ahead if I'm buying a new weapon and make sure I have it before I need it. And if my need is home protection, well, I lived ________ period of time without one before, I can probably suck it up for a few more weeks or months without one. The whole thing just fucking baffles me, I do not understand it. 

The Simpsons GIF

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

A number of things can be done to to prevent many of those types of massacres, but nothing is 100%.

Of course not. But we should definitely still try some of them, no?

This idea that a handful of posters have been passing around that common ground on gun reforms can't be found anymore because both sides are too extreme has no basis in reality and is flat out deflection. Only one side has routinely displayed zero interest whatsoever--nada--in finding common ground. They won't even address it anymore.

Plenty of blue-tinted states have reached common ground on statewide gun control measures. No, not all of the laws are perfect. Some are even clumsy and ineffective...but none of them are even remotely in the same ballpark as "We're coming to take your guns" or whatever extremes gunowners are afraid of. Some states are at least fucking trying. But, like North Carolina proved a couple of days ago, Florida proved yesterday (conceal carry without a permit), and the Bruen ruling is going to prove moving forward, the political party owned by the gun lobby will snuff out any and all sensible reforms at earliest opportunity.  

No, the gun lobby will never ever budge an inch; maybe it's time we try to find elected leaders not beholden to them?

• Hook 'Em 6

45 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Of course not. But we should definitely still try some of them, no?

This idea that a handful of posters have been passing around that common ground on gun reforms can't be found anymore because both sides are too extreme has no basis in reality and is flat out deflection. Only one side has routinely displayed zero interest whatsoever--nada--in finding common ground. They won't even address it anymore.

Plenty of blue-tinted states have reached common ground on statewide gun control measures. No, not all of the laws are perfect. Some are even clumsy and ineffective...but none of them are even remotely in the same ballpark as "We're coming to take your guns" or whatever extremes gunowners are afraid of. Some states are at least fucking trying. But, like North Carolina proved a couple of days ago, Florida proved yesterday (conceal carry without a permit), and the Bruen ruling is going to prove moving forward, the political party owned by the gun lobby will snuff out any and all sensible reforms at earliest opportunity.  

No, the gun lobby will never ever budge an inch; maybe it's time we try to find elected leaders not beholden to them?

Sir, with all due respect, it’s your lack of civil discourse that is at fault here. In fact, you have blood on your hands here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Fear, you don’t care about children being slaughtered, small dicks….?

Does that crap have a place in an adult discussion about a serious topic?

Explain how carrying a weapon is not based in fear. 

I’ve never carried a gun in my life. Millions of Americans have never carried a gun. They all live normal lives. They go to work. They go to the store. We all have the same odds of being killed by the unforeseen bad guy, yet one certain group feels they need to carry a gun. Yes, it’s possible, it could help them survive. As someone already pointed out, a lot of bad things can possibly happen in one’s life, yet a certain group of people only choose to prepare for the very few specific situations where a gun could possibly help. They still ride airplanes…despite the possibility that it could crash. They still drive cars…despite the very large possibility they could crash. 

I don’t buy the preparation argument because there are millions of risks humans don’t prepare for properly because they don’t fear them happening 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve never carried a gun in my life. Millions of Americans have never carried a gun. They all live normal lives. They go to work. They go to the store. We all have the same odds of being killed by the unforeseen bad guy, yet one certain group feels they need to carry a gun. Yes, it’s possible, it could help them survive. As someone already pointed out, a lot of bad things can possibly happen in one’s life, yet a certain group of people only choose to prepare for the very few specific situations where a gun could possibly help. They still ride airplanes…despite the possibility that it could crash. They still drive cars…despite the very large possibility they could crash. 

I don’t buy the preparation argument because there are millions of risks humans don’t prepare for properly because they don’t fear them happening 

There are defensive gun uses every day.  Quite a lot of them.  As many as 2.5 million per year is the upper estimate from the CDC.  60,000 is the lower end estimate.  

I’ve never needed to use one.  Haven’t needed a seat belt, helmet, or life insurance either.  I still utilize all of them.   Doesn’t mean I’m scared.  I don’t really think about being a victim of crime any more than I worry about getting in a car wreck.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Sir, with all due respect, it’s your lack of civil discourse that is at fault here. In fact, you have blood on your hands here.

The hilarious thing is, everyone on this site knows exactly where they are posting. This site is essentially the Mos Eisley of college sports online forums. And that is why we are here instead of those other lane ass sites.

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s fine if you don’t “buy” it. Millions don’t think about such matters because they think they are invulnerable.
It looks to me like some here do not want to understand where most of the opposing view is coming from. 
Sure, there are timid types who are afraid of their own shadow and strap one on, but most I know who do are just being prudent. it is just a tool that increases chances of escaping a bad situation.
To me it is like wearing a seatbelt or having smoke & carbon monoxide detectors around. We carry a roll of toilet paper in each of our cars, along with a jump starter power pack, fire extinguisher, picnic utensils, trash sacks & the like.

From several family experiences that involved extreme violence, near death, injury, and close encounters, we think it is practical for ourselves to have the means to avoid being victims.
As a result, a number of my female relatives have their LTCs and carry frequently. (BTW - Mrs. Brat hates guns and never has fired one in her life…not even a BB gun)

In fact a large % of the applicants for Texas LTCs and in gun safety courses in recent years are women who desire additional ways for self-protection. I don’t think it would be wise to denigrate their motivations about personal safety.
They realize in many cases that calling for a cop won’t keep them from being assaulted or whatever. They are there own #1 first responder.

Nobody here is going to change anyone’s mind, but projecting straw men won’t help the discussion.

33 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The hilarious thing is, everyone on this site knows exactly where they are posting. This site is essentially the Mos Eisley of college sports online forums. And that is why we are here instead of those other lane ass sites.

Staying in your lane?

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That’s fine if you don’t “buy” it. Millions don’t think about such matters because they think they are invulnerable.
It looks to me like some here do not want to understand where most of the opposing view is coming from. 
Sure, there are timid types who are afraid of their own shadow and strap one on, but most I know who do are just being prudent. it is just a tool that increases chances of escaping a bad situation.
To me it is like wearing a seatbelt or having smoke & carbon monoxide detectors around. We carry a roll of toilet paper in each of our cars, along with a jump starter power pack, fire extinguisher, picnic utensils, trash sacks & the like.

From several family experiences that involved extreme violence, near death, injury, and close encounters, we think it is practical for ourselves to have the means to avoid being victims.
As a result, a number of my female relatives have their LTCs and carry frequently. (BTW - Mrs. Brat hates guns and never has fired one in her life…not even a BB gun)

In fact a large % of the applicants for Texas LTCs and in gun safety courses in recent years are women who desire additional ways for self-protection. I don’t think it would be wise to denigrate their motivations about personal safety.
They realize in many cases that calling for a cop won’t keep them from being assaulted or whatever. They are there own #1 first responder.

Nobody here is going to change anyone’s mind, but projecting straw men won’t help the discussion.

Staying in your lane?

Well said.  Some people here are worth engaging with. Others aren’t.  

31 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Some people here are worth engaging with. Others aren’t.

Adorable that you'd probably categorize yourself in the first category. Like creating a new handle gives you a clean slate to start fresh, and all is forgotten. Welcome to the internet.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Another worthless poster on ignore.  Bye aggie08

Oh noooooooooooo.

I'm sorry the truth hurts, and you can't hide from your past.

Also, who had Hunter Biden on their bingo card? It used to be my middle square with Sack.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Philadelphia DA doesn’t bother enforcing their gun laws.  But sure let’s get some more.  

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

The Police Department, for example, noted that the District Attorney’s Office has increasingly failed to win convictions for illegal gun possession, a crime police say must be addressed to curb gunfire in the city.
But prosecutors said there was “little research supporting the approach.” And they noted that one category of gun possession — carrying without a license — was a felony in Philadelphia but a misdemeanor in the rest of the state. They called that legislative decision “inequitable and obviously racist” and said they believe the Police Department’s focus on arresting people for that crime “is having no effect on the gun violence crisis.”
“We do not believe that arresting people and convicting them for illegal gun possession is a viable strategy to reduce shootings,” the DA’s Office wrote.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Staying in your lane?

A large % of women fear men raping them. I’m not denigrating their fear, because it is real. They will admit it is fear, unlike gun carriers. They don’t need a gun to protect themselves. There are billions of women that make due without them 

I don’t believe I’m invulnerable. I could be robbed, knifed, killed, any day of the week. But so could anyone. And a gun won’t stop it from happening. Always believing you need a gun to protect yourself is childish. And yes, the same can be said for the kooks who build the nuclear bunkers. They have an irrational fear of being harmed. It is the same for people that are afraid to fly. There is a small chance you will be attacked, or nuclear war happens, or the plane crashes. But it’s rare. Pretending it’s not, and preparing for it are irrational. 

I understand exactly where the opposing view comes from. Everyone on the planet knows why people carry guns, and it sure as shit isn’t to protect themselves, it’s so they feel safe. 

The entire world operates without guns, in places way more dangerous than the US, but only American need guns. Because they’re scared and they’re spoiled. 

The reason gun owners continually post pictures of their guns online or show them in person is because it makes the owner feel bigger and stronger than they feel on the inside. It’s the same reasons animals brandish their teeth or make big displays of behavior 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

A large % of women fear men raping them. I’m not denigrating their fear, because it is real. They will admit it is fear, unlike gun carriers. They don’t need a gun to protect themselves. There are billions of women that make sue without them 

I don’t believe I’m invulnerable. I could be robbed, knifed, killed, any day of the week. But so could anyone. And a gun won’t stop it from happening. Always believing you need a gun to protect yourself is childish. And yes, the same can be said for the kooks who build the nuclear bunkers. They have an irrational fear of being harmed. It is the same for people that are afraid to fly. There is a small chance you will be attacked, or nuclear war happens, or the plane crashes. But it’s rare. Pretending it’s not, and preparing for it are irrational. 

I understand exactly where the opposing view comes from. Everyone on the planet knows why people carry guns, and it sure as shit isn’t to protect themselves, it’s so they feel safe. 

The entire world operates without guns, in places way more dangerous than the US, but only American need guns. Because they’re scared and they’re spoiled. 

The reason gun owners continual post pictures of their guns online or show them in person is because it makes the owner feel bigger and stronger than they feel on the inside. It’s the same reasons animals brandish their teeth or make big displays of behavior 

What do you think the percentage of gun owners continually show them online?

Edited by Frank Drebin

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

A large % of women fear men raping them. I’m not denigrating their fear, because it is real. They will admit it is fear, unlike gun carriers. They don’t need a gun to protect themselves. There are billions of women that make due without them 

The reason gun owners continual post pictures of their guns online or show them in person is because it makes the owner feel bigger and stronger than they feel on the inside. It’s the same reasons animals brandish their teeth or make big displays of behavior 

You don’t know how millions of other people feel, but go right ahead with your false assumptions.

I don’t care.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Odd that the proliferation of these weapons seems to directly mirror the growth of militia groups--and not exactly well-regulated ones at that--that skyrocketed right around the time a black man was elected president. Completely coincidentally, of course. 

So it's safe to say that very few of these weapons will ever be used for hunting.

So gun owners are racist.  Cool story bro.  Tell it again 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So gun owners are racist.  Cool story bro.  Tell it again 

Your reading compensation blows, dude. Are you in a militia? Are you considering joining one?

Everyone I know owns a gun. I used to and probably will again. None of those people have dramatically impacted the exponential growth of ARs in the past two decade.

Look it up: the rapid rise of militia groups took off at the onset of the Obama era. Just a fact.

Edited by aggie08

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Your reading compensation blows, dude. Are you in a militia? Are you considering joining one?

Everyone I know owns a gun. I used to and probably will again. None of those people have dramatically impacted the exponential growth of ARs in the past two decade.

Look it up: the rapid rise of militia groups took off at the onset of the Obama era. Just a fact.

So what was your point of bringing up that President Obama is black besides trying to insinuate it being racist?  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So you're saying the rise of the AR is due to rapid rise of the militia?  It's not due to the assault rifle ban repeal and some good marketing by the AR people?  The AR is the new Boogeyman that the Saturday night special was in the 80s.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So what was your point of bringing up that President Obama is black besides trying to insinuate it being racist?  

I mean, aren't they? Or, at the very least, scared to be marginalized by a progressive black president. I don't know, I don't make a habit of reading militia webpages' mission statements.

What do you think it the reason for the correlation between Obama and militia growth exploding? Which at least contributed to some of the change in the overall gun culture.

9 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

So you're saying the rise of the AR is due to rapid rise of the militia?  It's not due to the assault rifle ban repeal and some good marketing by the AR people?  The AR is the new Boogeyman that the Saturday night special was in the 80s.

Fair point. Obviously it starts with the manufacturers and would be happening to some extent without militias or dudes with massive arsenals preparing for the war, the government, the apocalypse, the zombies, the next pandemic, etc.

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

Everyone is racist to that clown.  Ignore him or her and move on.  

Pretty sure you're the only person on here that I've ever called racist. So you've got that going for you, which is nice. 

Really not taking having your old handle outed very well, dude.