• Yes, whenever possible
    • No, I'll take my chances if something happens
    • Got guns at home, don't carry outside of home
    • No, but not against it. Come to think of it, I should get a gun
    • No I don't
    • Yes I do, but concealed
    • Yes, and you will see what I'm packing chief

7 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

For the reason you passively called me insane and broken in the post. We can’t talk to each other. Tribalism rules the day. Someone disagrees with you, and therefore they must be derided and piled on until one group of monkeys asserts dominance over the other on the internet or public forum. It’s a dunk contest where everyone loses. 

The root causes of that are many, but that’s the rough outline of why nothing will be done on this and numerous other subjects. 

Know how I know you didn’t read several of my posts?

Lol.

You aren't a sincere person. You deserve scorn and derision. 

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

There are no semantics around a national registry - which you favor.  

Which already exists and should be a requirement*

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sincere question, do you oppose a registry? If so is it due to some sort of privacy issue? If not, what is the reason(s)?

It's pure laziness. I wanna have guns but i dont wanna do minimal things in order to have them.

16 hours ago, CHIEF said:

No, they made it abundantly clear what they were up to. My priority was my child, and getting him to safety. I wrecked their car so they couldn't leave. They were planing a quick assault, robbery, and fleeing the scene, or they wouldn't have followed me. I had my son run into the restaurant and call LEO. I am just repeating what I was told by the LEOs, including time and distance from the scene. Throckmorton does not have a police department, they have a sheriff's department responsible for the whole county, there was one officer on duty nowhere to be found.. Might want to get your facts straight.

CHIEF

It just seems weird to me that you felt threatened so you left your vehicle.   Yeah, I mistakenly wrote PD instead of County Sherriff.  I can appreciate that, I spent a little time in places smaller than that.  Still, it seems strange to me that you left your vehicle, and had your kid run in to call law enforcement, instead of doing so on your phone.  Or after running into their car to disable it you decided to exit your own instead of taking off?  Or did you disable your own in the process?    I know those Auroras had a surprisingly decent performance out of that Northstar engine and don't know anything about the vehicle you had. 

It could very well be that you were in a no-win situation, but your story as you stated is unclear.   

So can someone now do a google sheet of the non-gun owners for the stabby lurkers looking to rob?  TIA.  

Yeah, I can run that down for you once you get done finding the average micro penis length of the carry crowd. I’ll let you throw out the open carry, that seems unfair and would skew the data with their innies.

17 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It just seems weird to me that you felt threatened so you left your vehicle.   Yeah, I mistakenly wrote PD instead of County Sherriff.  I can appreciate that, I spent a little time in places smaller than that.  Still, it seems strange to me that you left your vehicle, and had your kid run in to call law enforcement, instead of doing so on your phone.  Or after running into their car to disable it you decided to exit your own instead of taking off?  Or did you disable your own in the process?    I know those Auroras had a surprisingly decent performance out of that Northstar engine and don't know anything about the vehicle you had. 

It could very well be that you were in a no-win situation, but your story as you stated is unclear.   

I was in a Dodge 3/4 ton. They came up throwing beer bottles at the truck, got in front of us trying to stop us. I wasn't going to stop after that. It was a 120 mph chase all the way to Throckmorton. This was 2006, there wasn't any cell service two miles out of town, and it was spotty in town. You couldn't get a 911 call out. My priority was to get my son into a crowded restaurant, for protection. It was Friday Night ribeye night at this restaurant, there was at least 60 people there. You would think that would have deterred them from pulling in and getting in a fight where someone would know them. You would have thought wrong. When they hit the ditch to come back into the parking lot, I had about 8-10 seconds to come up with a plan. My truck was fine, tweaked the trailer hitch when it was pulled off their hood. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, I can run that down for you once you get done finding the average micro penis length of the carry crowd. I’ll let you throw out the open carry, that seems unfair and would skew the data with their innies.

Can we call it a tallywhacker...

YARN | Penis is so personal. | Porky's (1981) | Video clips by quotes |  00dc396b | 紗

• Haha 1

I open carry when I am in the country, especially if I'm working. I have drawn some odd looks from the neighbors when they pass by while I'm fixing fence or something.

I don't see the point of open carrying in an urban environment. It can make you a bigger target and just seems too flashy. I've seen them in HEB, Krogers, Home Depot, etc. Several of the idiots were too busy on the phone, so it have been easy to pop them upside the head and just take the damn gun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

You think a national gun registry is "minimal"?

I bet you're one of those people who bitches non-stop about paper plates and how cars need to be legally registered in a government database. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think it's important to remember that this is actually the fault of the extreme gun control advocacy groups, forcing the hand of the gun lobby to reject any and all common sense gun control reforms, lest the slippery slide take hold, and they come for all of our guns next. Damn them all to hell for making us do this!! Otherwise, we'd be so willing to vote for people who support these restrictions.

Am I doing it right?

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think it's important to remember that this is actually the fault of the extreme gun control advocacy groups, forcing the hand of the gun lobby to reject any and all common sense gun control reforms, lest the slippery slide take hold, and they come for all of our guns next. Damn them all to hell for making us do this!! Otherwise, we'd be so willing to vote for people who support these restrictions.

Am I doing it right?

What laws do you want that you think will work to stop killings?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

You serious, Clark? For starters, strict restrictions for anyone under 21 trying to purchase--proficiency and safety exams, interviews, etc.--proof of safe storage, different permit requirements for different categories of firearms, universal background checks and expanded red flag laws, yes, a registry. Not all that more difficult than obtaining a driver's license and registering a vehicle. Limit magazine capacities.

Everybody gets to keep their current weapons/ammo, but limitations on new production. Make the cost of entry for certain platforms extremely high and time-consuming. Not many 19 year-olds know an illegal arms dealer, so would-be shooters will get red-flagged as they fumble around trying to acquire what they want.

I know all of those will never happen, but even a handful would absolutely reduce mass shootings.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You serious, Clark? For starters, strict restrictions for anyone under 21 trying to purchase--proficiency and safety exams, interviews, etc.--proof of safe storage, different permit requirements for different categories of firearms, universal background checks and expanded red flag laws, yes, a registry. Not all that more difficult than obtaining a driver's license and registering a vehicle. Limit magazine capacities.

Everybody gets to keep their current weapons/ammo, but limitations on new production. Make the cost of entry for certain platforms extremely high and time-consuming. Not many 19 year-olds know an illegal arms dealer, so would-be shooters will get red-flagged as they fumble around trying to acquire what they want.

I know all of those will never happen, but even a handful would absolutely reduce mass shootings.

But then people who make guns and ammo wouldn't make as much money. And that's all this is really about.

What's really fucking sad though is seeing people who have no profit motive in the matter parrot such nonsense.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So I am also willing to support groups that will stand up with some common sense perspectives on this issue, along the lines of those that you claim to support. Your response when asked which groups out there exist that echo the points that you and I and many others on this board have kicked around on many threads from the hobby board to the CR on the subject, and on which we find some measure of common ground, is to fall back to regurgitate shit that is too stupid to even come out of a poorly programmed chatbot.   

Here's the thing - the gun issue is dominated by partisans of two competing factions
1) Gun grabbers, who understand very little about guns, are often motivated by trauma, and advocate for a highly restrictive  and punitive national gun regime, and

2) Gun obsessives, who have a fetishistic relationship with guns, are often motivated by insecurity or anger, and advocate for a radically permissive national gun regime. 

Both of these factions are deeply tribal, ideologically radical, easily gulled, and usefully idiotic base voters for their respective political party to the exclusion of all other inputs. That's why, absurdly, discussion of gun policy is shouted down on the gun hobby thread. 

Obviously there are other camps and neither faction represents any kind of plurality, but those are the dominant groups in the discourse. As such, policy positions on the issue exist on a continuum of unhealthy, shrill irrationality, and any point in the "middle," as it were, will be not only highly contested but will be as silly and irrational as either end, and no "group" will  ever be able to shout down the moonbats. 

So the reason why I'm mocking your common ground bullshit is that I've opted out of this dynamic.  I'm not interested in advocating common ground between these factions. I'm interested in things that they would and have joined forces to oppose, because they are in the business of trauma and conflict, not progress and resolution. If you choose to caucus with moonbats, fine. But considering that your efforts to find "common ground" will achieve jack shit, I can achieve jack shit by advocating things that are outside of spectrum and get the benefit of antagonizing two factions that I find equally sad and repulsive. At least that way I'll be amused.

What I want at the national level:

1. 7-day waiting period on all retail gun purchases
  2. Removal of NFA restrictions on SBRs, suppressors and braces
  3. ATF eForm 4 & 5 processing modernization with a mandate for completion in 30 days or less.
  4. NFA restriction of binary triggers equivalent to those on fully automatic weapons
  5. Requirements for states to have locally appropriate red flag laws consistent with federal law
  6. Most other matters left to states

What I want in Texas:

1. Minimum age or 21 to purchase a semi-automatic firearm
  2. Permissibility of open carry subject to local law in homerule cities (i.e. population >5000)
  3. A strong red flag law

I'll never get these, but at least the people in those factions who read them or hear me say them will have their jimmies rustled. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

see my post above. Of those things, strong red flag laws, safe storage requirements (which I want in Texas and forgot to add), and a waiting period would make a huge dent in mass shootings, domestic gun violence, and accidental shootings.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Here's the thing - the gun issue is dominated by partisans of two competing factions
1) Gun grabbers, who understand very little about guns, are often motivated by trauma, and advocate for a highly restrictive  and punitive national gun regime, and
2) Gun obsessives, who have a fetishistic relationship with guns, are often motivated by insecurity or anger, and advocate for a radically permissive national gun regime. 
Both of these factions are deeply tribal, ideologically radical, easily gulled, and usefully idiotic base voters for their respective political party to the exclusion of all other inputs. That's why, absurdly, discussion of gun policy is shouted down on the gun hobby thread. 
Obviously there are other camps and neither faction represents any kind of plurality, but those are the dominant groups in the discourse. As such, policy positions on the issue exist on a continuum of unhealthy, shrill irrationality, and any point in the "middle," as it were, will be not only highly contested but will be as silly and irrational as either end, and no "group" will  ever be able to shout down the moonbats. 

So the reason why I'm mocking your common ground bullshit is that I've opted out of this dynamic.  I'm not interested in advocating common ground between these factions. I'm interested in things that they would and have joined forces to oppose, because they are in the business of trauma and conflict, not progress and resolution. If you choose to caucus with moonbats, fine. But considering that your efforts to find "common ground" will achieve jack shit, I can achieve jack shit by advocating things that are outside of spectrum and get the benefit of antagonizing two factions that I find equally sad and repulsive. At least that way I'll be amused.

3. ATF eForm 4 & 5 processing modernization with a mandate for completion in 30 days or less.
  4. NFA restriction of binary triggers equivalent to those on fully automatic weapons
  5. Requirements for states to have locally appropriate red flag laws consistent with federal law
What I want in Texas:
  2. Permissibility of open carry subject to local law in homerule cities (i.e. population >5000)
  3. A strong red flag law
I'll never get these, but at least the people in those factions who read them or hear me say them will have their jimmies rustled. 

Those things dont seem to bad. But if I dont agree with all of it then I just want dead babies everywhere.
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What I want in Texas:

3. A strong red flag law

All seem fine.  So long as cities cannot overrule concealed carry by permit holders

I'd add magazines over 15 as a NFA item.  But cut requirement for $200 stamp for mags.

We also need to start enforcing the laws we have on the books.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sincere question, do you oppose a registry? If so is it due to some sort of privacy issue? If not, what is the reason(s)?

I disagree with it because it is inexact.  If you can’t account for ALL of the guns, it only serves one purpose: track the folks who are willing to abide by the law.

I don’t necessarily oppose a registry for weapons in CHL or open carry.  I don’t care for registering what is in my home and is for private use only. I might be willing to find some middle ground there.

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess y’all will be voting accordingly now. Right?

“I’m for common sense reforms.”

”Also, I vote for politicians that can not sponsor common sense reforms because it is political suicide.”

”Also, nothing can done about gun control so we should consider our schools war zones and arm the same teachers we don’t trust to determine what books can be read in school.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What I want in Texas:

3. A strong red flag law

Yeah, I am good with all of those, maybe would make a few small tweaks.

I would consider replacing item 1 with universal background check requirement on all transfers, both through FFL and private transfers. To implement this we need an accessible and no-cost solution to process the background checks in a timely manner.  I think that we can get there mostly by expanding the current NICS system and don't have to start from scratch. I am open to waiting periods as long as the timeframe is informed by data regarding guns used in gun violence. Can we optimize the wait time by gun type to reflect those data?  Maybe shotguns, bolt action rifles, and wheel guns have no mandatory wait time after the BG check has cleared, pistols 7 days, and semi-auto rifles 30 days. I am not sure, let the data drive those thresholds. But I was surprised to see that universal background check process was not on your list. 

I am down with items 2-6. I would be open to keeping SBRs, suppressors, and braces under NFA rules if item 3 was implemented (esp the 30 day requirement) and the tax was eliminated or reduced to a trivial amount, say $1. And I would go you one further. If we could get 2 and 3 implemented (with tax effectively eliminated and no longer than 30d to review the form), I would be open to putting rifle magazines that hold more than 10 rounds under NFA regulations. It might suck in short term cause I would have to add a few pages to my trust inventory. But if you streamline the process, whether we are talking about BG checks or NFA, I think that the vast majority of gun owners would be open to the discussion. 

Also no problem with age restrictions.  I would limit this to rifles, though. 

Red flag laws, great. The devil on that one is in the details.

44 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Welcome to the #bothside, at least on this particular topic.     

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess y’all will be voting accordingly now. Right?

I asked bozo to name me a special interest group that was proposing the specific items that he supports, which he has detailed previously and just reiterated here. He hasn't yet.  Maybe he should start it up.  At minimum he could rake up a few grand off some posters on this board. 

So I will ask you the same question with regard to politicians. Which politician supports those specific positions as the basis of their gun control platform, and doesn't go off the rails with dumb and ineffective shit?  Just name one. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The only way to enforce universal background is with a national registry

Why would NICS not work?

UBC is fine.  Just open up NICS for all transfers.  And don't add a bunch of transfer costs.

Shit have a free picture national ID with a bar code.  You can scan it for gun transfers.  And voter registration/eligibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't believe that to be necessarily true. I think that we can balance the interests involved.  I too do not like the idea of a national registry.  

How do you know what guns I currently have to run a background check on if I sell one?

I asked bozo to name me a special interest group that was proposing the specific items that he supports, which he has detailed previously and just reiterated here. He hasn't yet.  Maybe he should start it up.  At minimum he could rake up a few grand off some posters on this board. 

So I will ask you the same question with regard to politicians. Which politician supports those specific positions as the basis of their gun control platform, and doesn't go off the rails with dumb and ineffective shit?  Just name one. 

I’m not here to do your work for you. But I am willing to bet that not a single republican at the state or federal level would agree to even half of those suggestions and I am willing to bet most democrats would be ecstatic to try out what Bozo outlined.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

I disagree with it because it is inexact.  If you can’t account for ALL of the guns, it only serves one purpose: track the folks who are willing to abide by the law.

what?  you think the thousands of folks with a felony history that have a gun (illegally) won't register that gun???  

come on.gif

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't believe that to be necessarily true. I think that we can balance the interests involved.  I too do not like the idea of a national registry.  

Everything already owned would have to be Grandfathered. Nothing that is presently, and legally owned can be considered illegal and confiscated. If so, it will never get past "they are coming for your guns" crowd. No gun registry for legal weapons already owned through purchase, gifted, or inherited. All new purchases from the day the new laws are enacted are subject to the new restrictions. I believe any new purchases are entered into a registry, anyway for at least 24 months (that's what an LEO buddy told me, Handcruser can correct me if I am wrong). Bozo's ideas are pretty well thought out.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/29/2023 at 9:00 AM, Basil said:

I own six guns and have never carried.  My wife hhhhhaaaaates, and I mean hates, guns and made me send them to my parents' house when we got married.  I had no issue with that as, despite living in Housotn, I figure I'm much more likely to accidently shoot one of my balls off than actually need it - which has proven true for over twenty years.  Plus, I'm not scared of my own shadow.

Why does your wife hate guns? 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, SydneyCarton said:

This blows my mind, especially as I know you're a Houston guy. Outside of the fact I have two open-carry folks in my goddamn office, I see open carry fairly regularly. HEB on Shepherd usually every other time I visit I see a pistol, the target by my office on Sawyer. I mean I just see them frequently. 

I've seen open carry a few times, but not nearly as much as I expected when the law changed.  It's been pretty much equal as far as male and female, which surprised me.

On a related note, I read a news story about some lowlife attack(to rob?) an elderly man in a wheelchair. Turns out the old man was a veteran who was OPEN CARRYING.  Bad guy got tore up with multiple gunshot wounds(100% hit ratio). I can't remember where it was but I have seen an elderly, wheelchair bound open carrying at the Walmart here in Nac.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’d just like to point out how disingenuous and insincere the conversation around common sense reform ideas is when the people suggesting them know full well they will continue to vote for elected officials that will NEVER platform on them because it’s political suicide.

Exactly like the reform of SS/Medicare/Medicaid.  Welcome to politics.

I'm all for some type of gun reform law that will take guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable.  But given the political climate, ain't nothing going to change.  Which is why I carry.  You literally never know.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not here to do your work for you. But I am willing to bet that not a single republican at the state or federal level would agree to even half of those suggestions and I am willing to bet most democrats would be ecstatic to try out what Bozo outlined.

To stay topical, how about the group of politicians (presumably on both sides) that, years ago, enacted the permit requirement--which includes criminal history check and character evaluation--for handguns sold in North Carolina. Since then, this "foothold" wasn't used to go off the rails with "dumb and ineffective shit." It wasn't a gateway law into extremists grabbing anyone's guns. It probably even helped to make private sales easier and safer.

But, yesterday, every Republican in their House said, "Nah, fuck all that" without even allowing debate before the vote (not that it would have made a difference).

• Like 1

Yeah.  I don't give a shit if the gun laws change or not.  I already have the guns I want.  And no my guns aren't for hunting.  Although I use them for hunting.  They are to kill people if needed.  Do I believe society is going to collapse?  No.  But damn.  It's getting surprisingly close.  Desperate people do bad things.  I would rather be able to fend for myself than not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2