• Yes, whenever possible
    • No, I'll take my chances if something happens
    • Got guns at home, don't carry outside of home
    • No, but not against it. Come to think of it, I should get a gun
    • No I don't
    • Yes I do, but concealed
    • Yes, and you will see what I'm packing chief

[mention=214]Handcruser[/mention]
Maybe. I haven’t poured over your history and will give you the benefit of the doubt. If you’re for bringing sanity to a hyper emotional issue I applaud you. Even more so as someone inside an industry that has seemingly been institutionally organized against that. My comment was narrowly in response to your comment on waiting periods - and apparent aversion thereto. 

But the last thing I want is for my observation about the gun industry to be true. I wish it wasn’t a bunch of 2A absolutists (including state and federal elected officials) using assault weapons as props in Christmas cards and whose only solution to gun violence is more guns. I really wish that wasn’t the case. But the proof points are few and far between 

My comment was directed to the ridiculousness of guns being easier to get than cigarettes. Anybody can sell anything privately under the table- and laws exist to counter that. You’d be amazed at the vigilance of the atf working on that shit. I am for changes there too.

As for waiting periods recently introduced for those under 21 - fuck yes in favor.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We should get back to being scared to go to the store or walk dogs in affluent hoods so that this doesn’t get moved to the CR where certain folks are scared to post.

Most people that carry here dont believe in open carry. Not necessarily not believe in the law, just that it’s ignorant to show your cards. Sort of antithetical to the purpose for those that feel the need to carry.  That’s my takeaway mental polling from active involvement in the gun owners thread over the last however many years going back to the scat site. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Most people that carry here dont believe in open carry. Not necessarily not believe in the law, just that it’s ignorant to show your cards. Sort of antithetical to the purpose for those that feel the need to carry.  That’s my takeaway mental polling from active involvement in the gun owners thread over the last however many years going back to the scat site. 

I concur.

I’m talking about carrying in general. I think open carry is a lot of projecting.
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m talking about carrying in general. I think open carry is a lot of projecting.

Irl, most of my friends etc shoot and hunt. I’d estimate 20% have their CHL, somewhere between 5-10% carry regularly. I know you’re looking for posters here, just throwing it out since upthread it was discussed a bit as overall state #’s. 

Irl, most of my friends etc shoot and hunt. I’d estimate 20% have their CHL, somewhere between 5-10% carry regularly. I know you’re looking for posters here, just throwing it out since upthread it was discussed a bit as overall state #’s. 

I didn’t make this poll/thread. I’m just poking fun at folks that seem scared of their own shadow that they feel they need to be armed at all times.

I have a confession and I feel bad that I didn’t act. About 12 years ago I was working for a large engineering firm (50,000 employees worldwide). All these corporations make you watch safety videos. One was about work place violence and in the video a guy armed with an AK-47 shoots up an office. This batshit crazy guy that was in the same cubical bay as myself and a couple other guys finishes the video and turns to the rest of us and says “that can happen here”. We say no shit, that’s why there is a video. The next day he came to work with a revolver on his ankle. A buddy and I noticed it. The company had a strict no weapon policy. I should have reported him, and I didn’t. Nowadays, I give zero fucks and will ruin your (the Royal your) if you bring a gun to the office.

I rarely carry, but I have a valid Texas License to Carry.

Like other upthread, when I do carry, it's concealed and it stays that way.  Open carry is just asking to be hassled by store owners, cops, or worse, by someone who misinterprets your intentions and feels threatened themselves.  I really don't want to get shot by some store owner who thought he was being robbed.   

I don't ever intend to pull it out and wave it around either.  I'll leave it to the cops to drawn their guns and start yelling "down on the ground".  I don't have any backup.  Drawing my gun is a last resort and if it has to come out, it probably comes out hot.   

When I, (and probably most people), first got a carry permit I really thought about "could I really shoot person".  To protect my wife, kids, or my life, yeah, I could.  But if I'm being robbed by a junkie at knifepoint, or someone's stealing my car, screw that, the gun stays concealed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s fascinating seeing the idea that people carry or have weapons in their homes because they are scared of their shadows in a thread spurred on by a mass shooting at a Christian school in what is probably a reasonably affluent part of Nashville. 

Is that a place that most people should be scared of their shadow? Or say a Walmart in El Paso? Or elementary school in Uvalde? Or church in wherever?

Snide, bible beating, deep sticks cousin fuckery comments aside, are those really places the average person would consider to be dangerous to the point of needing a weapon? And yet they were. 

The “just get rid of the guns” idea is nice, but isn’t happening anymore than the just get rid of the drugs, alcohol or insert whatever here is. That cow is out of the barn, those comments will be made and I encourage the commenters to challenge the sunrise to stop each morning because it’s probably more likely whether you believe in ardent gun control or not.

So if a person wants to train and carry as insurance against a crazy world then so what?  We don’t have an epidemic of CHL owners shooting people. Quite the contrary. And most of them, despite fantasies built up in some people’s heads about concealed carry owners wanting to play hero, are looking to avoid the fight at all costs. To the point that they’ve thought about where the exits are in a restaurant or told their kids what to do if someone is in their house at night. 

I see that as no different than having a family plan for a house fire and drilling it occasionally or thinking about what to do in a car accident or whatever. 

I train all the time for emergencies and life saving procedures at work for something that statistically is less likely than winning the lotto or attracting lightening to my DeLorean. Statistically speaking I shouldn’t even bother. It’s not going to happen. And yet it’s done religiously in case it does happen so that myself and others have a chance in case of the nearly improbable. 

Responsible carry is no different in my opinion. If you think you’d be tempted to use the weapon in a fight or disagreement or in a fit of road rage or whatnot then you don’t have the makeup to carry the thing and shouldn’t. That’s not how a responsible carry person thinks. The decision of when to use a gun and whether to kill with it was made long before any scenario plays out. And the answer to that question doesn’t involve some social media spat playing out in real life or or living out some call of duty or rainbow 6 fantasy in a public setting. 

I live in a pretty nice area. I’m not overly concerned about my house being broken into. It hasn’t happened in 20 years of living where I’m at. There are weapons in my house. Anyone breaking into it will be exsanguinated post haste should they try by myself or my wife. 

Anyone who advertises whether and when they do or don’t carry  is unwise in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, royiv said:

I don't follow this one. You felt good to have a gun in the house to defend yourself from a) drunk neighbor who fell through the fence and b) a raccoon in attic? And your alternative was to immediately call the cops to investigate a commotion? 

I suggest you crawl around a few strangers’ backyards and see if they’ll follow it up for ya

7 hours ago, brown water said:

No. And I’ll happily sign on to laws that make it harder for others to have unfettered access too. I’m tired of watching news about school shootings or other mass shootings because we make guns easier to buy than cigarettes.  I wish the proponents of gun rights did more police their own. By analogy they’re like weed should be legal so let’s open it up to crack and meth as well. 

Many of us post repeatedly about gun safety and expectations around ownership/ handling. When many folks say what is bolded, they just want folks to aquiesque to bullshit that is only going to further impede the rights of people who are already acting responsibly. Wanna take a shot(sic) at what you are alluding to?

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don't have a problem with open carry.  I just don't feel the need for me to do it, necessarily.  If that were to change, I would want the LEGAL right to act.  Hurricane situations immediately come to mind.  Fuckstick/ looters need to know not to fuck around.  Political unrest has started bubbling up the same way.  You have every right to your opinion and to demonstrate, until it threatens me.  I'm absolutely talking both sides, as I know extremists on different ends of the spectrum through work and hobbies.  Do your thing, but it stops at my wellbeing and that of my property.

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I can’t even imagine feeling so scared in my own home or driving around town that I needed a gun.

I feel bad for y’all.

If you own a screwdriver, by your line of reasoning you're scared of loose screws.  Or, just maybe, you don't want to call a fucking handyman every time you need a screw tightened.  In this particular case, the handyman may or may not be every reliable, and has been known to change their account of things to their benefit. Hell, in some situations, you who needed of the handyman ends up dead.

It's not fear.  It's being prepared.

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Serious question---do you really think it's 1 in 10 overall in the whole of Texas or just 1 in 10 where you are?  Both carry a curious line of questioning for me...

I stated it was a stat totally from my gut, and I was including legal/ illegal.  Some of the places I work are the very worst areas of major metros and some of the most remote fucking places in Texas, where people walk in the store with spurs, like every fucking day because they are working cowboys.  The guy in the inner city has it in his backpack.  The cowboy at least has it in his truck.

Could be totally off, and most likely am; but I think there are far more guns in public than a lot of others want to admit.  Not everybody is sitting there blasting as a response to a disagreement or whatever.

A few months ago, I always carried. I didn’t travel for work at my previous company. Changed jobs and have been flying more frequently so obviously can’t carry.

Never shot anything aside from deer or dove. My dad was in law enforcement and I grew up around guns. I have shotguns, rifles, many pistols. 

13 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Keep a couple in my console safe in my truck center console (one for defense and one Taurus judge for shooting copperheads).  Plenty in my house in two different safes, but most are hunting rifles and shotguns. I do keep an AR Pistol in my safe I can access quickly with a mag loaded in case someone were to break in.

I walk really early in the mornings and late at night before I go to bed with with my dog (and she will not hurt a flea).  I carry a small .380 that carries 5 rounds and weighs nothing.  I do not chamber a round.  But I like having it because even though I live in a nice area, it's still urban Houston and there are occasionally some homeless drugged out zombies around. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I otherwise never carry in Houston.

If I lived in the suburbs, I would never carry when I walk or jog.  

I carry 100% of the time at our ranch in South Texas and keep an AR or Mini 14 very close.  You would too if your game cameras showed as many illegals in large groups as ours does. I don't want to engage illegals because they are often in large groups. But if they walk up on me, I certainly do not want to be unarmed.  This is not the 80s of my youth when you would often see 3-4 walking down the utility right of way trying to head north, give them a jug of water, some snacks, and a ride to the gate.  

So for me, it just depends what I am doing.  .

Pussy. 

I carried when I lived in Texas.  I quit carrying when I almost shot some teenagers for being dumbasses.  It was after 4 AM and my shift ended.  I pulled into my driveway and was getting out of my car when I heard footsteps came running at me.  I had the pistol in my hand and those kids stopped dead in their tracks and said whoa.  We were playing hide and seek.  I almost put a hole in one because of it.  I thought about it afterwards and said you know.  There is no confusion if I put a hole in someone coming into my house but my driveway that's something different.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Agree. It’s also just impolite.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Right there with you.  I can not imagine thinking I need a fucking gun to walk my dog.  And I lived inside the loop, a few years of that a block behind El Palenque bar off N. Main on the edge of the Heights.  12-15 years ago it was quite lively with plenty of hookers working the block.  I would go for a jog at night and such a thought never entered my mind.

Yes.  But you’re a total badass.  We should all strive to be like you.  

Again, don't begrudge anyone for carrying with a CHL. If you feel that it provides extra protection for your family, and you've put in the work to be a responsible, legal carrier, have at it. But I do wonder how the numbers break down between crimes prevented/lessened vs. made worse by carriers. Likely an impossible metric to obtain.

Open carry has no place in a successful society, however, and I can't believe that there isn't universal support to ban it when, I assume, way less than 1% of the population engages in it.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve never encountered one of the open carry people in the wild but I would immediately leave any location if someone walked in like that. I have no idea of their intent and I’m not waiting to find out. 

You’ve never been in a public place and someone had a handgun holstered on the belt? In Texas?

Not everyone is strapping an AK across their back. And yes, I think that shit is all for show in that regard.

Just now, slorch said:

You’ve never been in a public place and someone had a handgun holstered on the belt? In Texas?

Not everyone is strapping an AK across their back. And yes, I think that shit is all for show in that regard.

Been here 53 years and don’t recall seeing it except on cops and security guards.

• Hook 'Em 1

Stupid questions

• Should be IF the individual owns a pistol, typically a compact or sub-compact frame size, THEN do you carry?
  • If not, why?  Why do you own a compact/subcompact vs. a full size, and then why do you not carry if this is the type of pistol you chose to buy?

Smaller pistols are a PITA to shoot accurately and have a smaller mag capacity.  Their only positive attribute is concealability.  

EX.  My carry is a little p365, but the nightstand has my 1911 that I shoot much better with. 

Yes.  But you’re a total badass.  We should all strive to be like you.  

To the contrary drunk deacon, I am just your average dude that doesn’t feel carrying a firearm is necessary. Despite how I spend my spare time.

Folks talking about carrying on their ranch, I get it. Hogs are a menace, and they are everywhere.

If I needed a gun to feel safe walking my dog, I would move.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

To the contrary drunk deacon, I am just your average dude that doesn’t feel carrying a firearm is necessary, not needed. Despite how I spend my spare time.

Folks talking about carrying on their ranch, I get it. Hogs are a menace, and they are everywhere.

To each their own but I agree with this. If I were fearful enough of my surroundings that I felt the need to walk around with a gun, there would be a for-sale sign in my yard that day. And I understand there are dangerous areas in Texas that I wouldn’t want to live in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

. But I do wonder how the numbers break down between crimes prevented/lessened vs. made worse by carriers. Likely an impossible metric to obtain

If you believe the CDC, their report, based on the findings of a Univ of FL professor put the number of defensive gun occurrences at up to 2.5M per year.  That number is very much up for debate, but the lowest number I've seen in between 60-100K/yr.

I see carrying like wearing a seatbelt when driving or a helmet when skiing.

So long as you store and handle your weapon responsibly, and it must be a habit, it is just added safety.  Does not mean you are scared any more than wearing a seatbelt or helmet does.

Others disagree and seem to have animus towards those who responsibly carry.  Whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It takes a while to become comfortable carrying.  There are a myriad of different pistol options, combined with a myriad of different holster types, materials the holster is made from, and where you carry (appendix, lower back, etc.) relative to the clothes you are wearing (summer vs heavier winter clothes).  It's not uncommon early on to carry when doing mundane outside tasks in public to get used to carrying and figure out which setup suits you best.  

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

To the contrary drunk deacon, I am just your average dude that doesn’t feel carrying a firearm is necessary. Despite how I spend my spare time.

I don't drink. 

I get it.  You don't like me.  I don't like you either.  I think you are a dork and would not waste a second of my time in real life on you.  I'm doing us both a favor and putting you on ignore.

I don't drink. 
I get it.  You don't like me.  I don't like you either.  I think you are a dork and would not waste a second of my time in real life on you.  I'm doing us both a favor and putting you on ignore.

Thank you deacon. I was really worried about if you thought I am a dork or not. This confirms I am a dork. But it also confirms you are a pussy.

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

So long as you store and handle your weapon responsibly, and it must be a habit, it is just added safety.  Does not mean you are scared any more than wearing a seatbelt or helmet does.

Others disagree and seem to have animus towards those who responsibly carry.  Whatever. 

To be fair, the odds of you needing and benefiting from a seatbelt or helmet are exponentially higher than needing a gun whilst walking your dog. But I will relinquish that carrying isn't necessarily about the probabilities.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

To be fair, the odds of you needing and benefiting from a seatbelt or helmet are exponentially higher than needing a gun whilst walking your dog. But I will relinquish that carrying isn't necessarily about the probabilities.

That is true.  It's why I wear a seatbelt every time I drive and a helmet every time I ski.  But only care in certain circumstances.

Only has to happen once.  It really is not about being terrified. It is about being prepared.

Schools have active shooter drills all the time.  At least my kids' school does.  Do you realize the odds of that happening at their school are microscopic?  Does not mean it is a bad idea to be prepared.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Schools have active shooter drills all the time.  At least my kids' school does.  Do you realize the odds of that happening at their school are microscopic?  Does not mean it is a bad idea to be prepared.

If you are indeed Johnny Sack, then I'm 100% certain that I've read you making the argument that active shooter drills at schools are unnecessary due to the microscopic probability.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We should get back to being scared to go to the store or walk dogs in affluent hoods so that this doesn’t get moved to the CR where certain folks are scared to post.

Coming to this late as is my wont to do.

My dad taught me how to shoot as a kid.  I’ve  never cared to hunt, was not my thing and I don’t like deer meat anyway.  

I’m a big dude so I don’t feel like I need a gun to feel safe, but my philosophy has always been toward de escalation.  

I bought a shotgun at my wife’s request at the start of covid and it stayed in its wrapping until I gave it as a gift to a friend who is a serious gun collector when I moved from Texas.  

The statistics around guns in homes with kids are scary and should give people pause.  Everyone thinks they are the responsible gun owner, but my experience around gun owners has been pretty mixed.  The guy I gave the shotgun to is one of the most trustworthy people I’ve ever known and I have no doubt if all gun owners were like John we’d have nothing to fear.  But they aren’t.  A lot of them are shitty people, but unlike shitty people without guns, they can do a lot of harm.

Long story  short it doesn’t matter, there are so many guns out there you just assume whoever you’re dealing with is strapped.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It’s not animus.

I fished with a dude a few years ago that wouldn’t leave the truck without holstering some sort of handgun.

It’s hard to describe what I felt, but it was so sadly emasculating I cringe thinking about it now. 

Funny sidenote about that day…as “prepared” as he was, soldier boy forgot to tell me he’s deathly allergic to deet. Found out after I doused myself with Off and he smelled it from like 30 feet away. That was fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

That is true.  It's why I wear a seatbelt every time I drive and a helmet every time I ski.  But only care in certain circumstances.

Only has to happen once.  It really is not about being terrified. It is about being prepared.

Agree to disagree. I have zero evidence but I would assume more people get hurt from concealed carry than are actually protected.

I choose to not carry or knowingly be around people who are, and that includes cops. I don't believe they are looking to harm me and I'm not afraid of guns. My reasoning is that I have no idea how well someone else chooses to carry or use safely, so I don't want to be around them.

Anecdotal but I was at a buddy's house when a friend of his spent all night talking about guns. I assumed he knew what he was doing when he asked to see the homeowner's new handgun. As he was holding it, he had the barrel pointed directly at my head. From that incident, not only do I assume that each gun is loaded, I assume each person carrying a gun is a moron. Even if I'm wrong, I lose nothing by being wrong.  Prove me wrong.