• Yes, whenever possible
    • No, I'll take my chances if something happens
    • Got guns at home, don't carry outside of home
    • No, but not against it. Come to think of it, I should get a gun
    • No I don't
    • Yes I do, but concealed
    • Yes, and you will see what I'm packing chief

14 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

OTOH, when there was a pounding at more door at 1AM, and, after getting out of bed, I left the bedroom without even thinking of arming myself. To find  a stranger in my open doorway. I had not seen the guy’s wife standing against the back wall of the foyer. Neighbors had brought their hot mess of a domestic dispute through my unlocked door. Must have been the boxers I was wearing, because I hustled husband outside with only moderate need of force.

Dear Penthouse Forum?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I own several, but I don't carry because I don't want to shoot somebody.

The other day my neighbor was involved in an incident where he was deliberately driving slow to retaliate against a guy who was tailgating him. When they got out of the neighborhood, the guy drove around him on Airport Blvd, slammed on his brakes and got our screaming at him with a pistol in his hand, but pointed at the ground. My friend put his hands up and stayed still and told his 7 year old daughter to do the sam thing. The guy eventually got in his car and took off. 

The guy who brandished his gun at my friend is a menace and he should go to jail, but nobody has to die in that situation. 

Take a look at the guy on the right. That's a ready position. If you're carrying, and he walks in like that, what do you do?
inside-chipotle630.jpg

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The other day my neighbor was involved in an incident where he was deliberately driving slow to retaliate against a guy who have been tailgating him in the neighborhood. When they got out, the guy drove around him, slammed on his brakes and got our screaming at him with a pistol in his hand, but pointed at the ground. My friend put his hands up and stayed still and told his 7 year old daughter to do the sam thing. The guy eventually got in his car and took off. 

The guy who brandished his gun at my friend is a menace and he should go to jail, but nobody has to die in that situation. 

Take a look at the guy on the right. That's a ready position. If you're carrying, and he walks in like that, what do you do?
inside-chipotle630.jpg

Bingo.  The smart thing to do in that situation is to drop him.  He is carrying in a way that makes him an imminent threat.  I've carried a long gun at a low ready thousands of times.  Every single time, that position was "so I can be ready to shoulder and shoot in an instant.  I'm here to shoot."  Now, I was hunting -- stalking game -- in every one of those cases.  But the damned quail, rabbit, deer, etc., was absolutely at immediate risk of getting shot by me.

Carrying a visible firearm is an act of escalation of the overall dynamic.  Carrying like THAT?  It's openly hostile, and asking to create a deadly confrontation.  Carrying a gun makes it much more likely that something is going to go down involving said gun, and "shit going down involving a gun" is a BAD OUTCOME.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The other day my neighbor was involved in an incident where he was deliberately driving slow to retaliate against a guy who was tailgating him. When they got out of the neighborhood, the guy drove around him on Airport Blvd, slammed on his brakes and got our screaming at him with a pistol in his hand, but pointed at the ground. My friend put his hands up and stayed still and told his 7 year old daughter to do the sam thing. The guy eventually got in his car and took off. 

inside-chipotle630.jpg

Leave.

That clown is no threat to anyone.

And if you shoot someone who has a rifle at low ready and not pointing a rifle at you, you will be going to prison.

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

inside-chipotle630.jpg

Haha look at those pussies. 
image.gif.ee61af4d4384ec7cc2288325220f7f1f.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  The smart thing to do in that situation is to drop him.  He is carrying in a way that makes him an imminent threat.  I've carried a long gun at a low ready thousands of times.  Every single time, that position was "so I can be ready to shoulder and shoot in an instant.  I'm here to shoot."  Now, I was hunting -- stalking game -- in every one of those cases.  But the damned quail, rabbit, deer, etc., was absolutely at immediate risk of getting shot by me.

Carrying a visible firearm is an act of escalation of the overall dynamic.  Carrying like THAT?  It's openly hostile, and asking to create a deadly confrontation.  Carrying a gun makes it much more likely that something is going to go down involving said gun, and "shit going down involving a gun" is a BAD OUTCOME.

I mean you can try that if you aren't afraid of spending a few decades in prison.  Or maybe the DA or jury will buy it.  But I certainly would not shoot someone who is not pointing a gun at me.  You may not like what they are doing, but it is not unlawful. Nor are citizens here in low ready breaking any law so shooting them would similarly get you deservedly in prison.

spacer.png

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Like 1

That was a photo op.

If you come in our shop like that though it won’t end well for you.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, I don't get people who walk around like that.  about a  year ago, I saw a gravy seal carrying like that around the Capitol.  I don't even remember what I was walking in there for, some meeting, and there was this tourist family having a picnic outside the west entrance.  And these guys were there in their cosplay tac gear, ready to defend Texas from fucking Hans Gruber or whatever their jerkoff fantasy was.  And most were harmless looking, looked more afraid of being out of their parents basement than I would be of their long guns.  Most had their weapons appropriately positioned, not even a hand within a foot of the trigger, a few didn't even have mags inserted.  And I wanted to mock them and make them feel bad about how worthless they were acting.  But the mom of the family suddenly got a look on her face, maternal instinct.  And I immediately followed her sightline and the saddest, ugliest, most incel among them had suddenly half-shouldered his weapon, and moved his hand.  I still don't know why, it was basically the family, me, and the half dozen dipshits but something about him got real wrong real quick.  I moved up the staircase and immediately and discretely alerted the DPS officers.  I've been back plenty of times since then and never seen that guy again.  Maybe the guy was just "practicing" defending our Capitol.  But if there's gonna be open carry, there should be some fucking protocol rules inside of that where you keep the fucking gun down and not show us your quick draw McGraw bullshit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I mean you can try that if you aren't afraid of spending a few decades in prison.  Or maybe the DA or jury will buy it.  But I certainly would not shoot someone who is not pointing a gun at me.  You may not like what they are doing, but it is not unlawful.

The legal question will be whether the person represented an imminent threat in the eyes of a reasonable person.

And my expert witness will introduce example, after example, after example, where it was determined that a TRAINED POLICE OFFICER acted "reasonably" in using deadly force to take out a person who was carrying a firearm in a posture that wasn't even as threatening as the posture the asshat above is taking.  If a TRAINED POLICE OFFICER reasonably takes a LESS threatening posture as sufficient basis for deadly force, clearly I was reasonable in taking a MORE threatening posture as sufficient basis to use deadly force to protect myself and others.

I'm not saying the arrest and trial would be fun.  I'm just noting that there's a pretty clear road to a strong defense.  And that defense would be borne of truth -- he IS a threat.  Carrying a weapon to cause mass casualties at a low ready IS a threat.  The time between that posture and the weapon being deployed to kill everyone in that restaurant can be measured in 100ths of seconds.  That's how you carry a long gun when you intend to use it, right away.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The legal question will be whether the person represented an imminent threat in the eyes of a reasonable person.

And my expert witness will introduce example, after example, after example, where it was determined that a TRAINED POLICE OFFICER acted "reasonably" in using deadly force to take out a person who was carrying a firearm in a posture that wasn't even as threatening as the posture the asshat above is taking.  If a TRAINED POLICE OFFICER reasonably takes a LESS threatening posture as sufficient basis for deadly force, clearly I was reasonable in taking a MORE threatening posture as sufficient basis to use deadly force to protect myself and others.

I'm not saying the arrest and trial would be fun.  I'm just noting that there's a pretty clear road to a strong defense.  And that defense would be borne of truth -- he IS a threat.  Carrying a weapon to cause mass casualties at a low ready IS a threat.  The time between that posture and the weapon being deployed to kill everyone in that restaurant can be measured in 100ths of seconds.  That's how you carry a long gun when you intend to use it, right away.

Good luck on that argument, counselor.  Unless they are pointing their guns at you or someone else,  I don't think you get there.

People lawfully carry long rifles in low ready all the time in public, see the picture I posted above.  It is perfectly legal.  You cannot shoot them for doing so.  Nor can a cop.

13 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I mean you can try that if you aren't afraid of spending a few decades in prison.  Or maybe the DA or jury will buy it.  But I certainly would not shoot someone who is not pointing a gun at me.  You may not like what they are doing, but it is not unlawful. Nor are citizens here in low ready breaking any law so shooting them would similarly get you deservedly in prison.

spacer.png

Yeah, I think that those people carrying like that are a threat as well.

Carrying at a low ready is "getting ready to raise and use that rifle."  It is a hostile, aggressive, and threatening act.  It is no different than someone walking around with their handgun in their hand as opposed to holstered.  Those are two vastly different dynamics.  I see a dude with a holstered pistol, I don't necessarily think much of it.  I see that gun in his hand?

Well, how many people have the cops shot dead because "he had a gun in his hand," and the shooting was found to be legally justified?  A fucking metric crapton.

Solution, for all of these fucking assholes: don't put your hands on a firearm in public, unless you are okay being taken down as a threat.

You cannot shoot them for doing so.  Nor can a cop.

haha-agamemnon.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Very glad to have had my firearms at home on 2 occasions. 

One, after recently moving in new neighborhood, and on the same week a houseguest had his car burglarized, I came home to see through my window blinds a silhouette of a stranger in the backyard. (Turns out, it was a neighbor who somehow fell through the fence into my yard and hurt himself on a nail?? Still WTF to this day)

Two, late at night, heard loud commotion coming from the garage…later localized to the ceiling above the garage…and next day coworkers assured it was commonly raccoons in the attic. 

Both cases it felt secure having something with me, rather than having to burst out of the house and call the cops

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

People lawfully carry long rifles in low ready all the time in public, see the picture I posted above.

If you are carrying a long gun at low ready in a public place without the intention of shooting something you need to take a gun safety class because you are violating basic rules that presumably both of us learned 40+ years ago. Seriously stupid and very dangerous.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I think that those people carrying like that are a threat as well.

Carrying at a low ready is "getting ready to raise and use that rifle."  It is a hostile, aggressive, and threatening act.  It is no different than someone walking around with their handgun in their hand as opposed to holstered.  Those are two vastly different dynamics.  I see a dude with a holstered pistol, I don't necessarily think much of it.  I see that gun in his hand?

Well, how many people have the cops shot dead because "he had a gun in his hand," and the shooting was found to be legally justified?  A fucking metric crapton.

Solution, for all of these fucking assholes: don't put your hands on a firearm in public, unless you are okay being taken down as a threat.

haha-agamemnon.gif

Why? Are you going to shoot them?

Why? Are you going to shoot them?

Would you stop and ask them their intentions first? Would you take a shooting position with your firearm and order them to lower their weapon?

There's not much room for interpretation here. The position means ready.  

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Good luck on that argument, counselor.  Unless they are pointing their guns at you or someone else,  I don't think you get there.

People lawfully carry long rifles in low ready all the time in public, see the picture I posted above.  It is perfectly legal.  You cannot shoot them for doing so.  Nor can a cop.

All the time?  I don't remember seeing anyone do it tbh

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

All the time?  I don't remember seeing anyone do it tbh

It's super-fucked up, and absolutely an act of aggression threatening imminent violence.

I've seen the Gravy Seals out here in Austin during their various marches at the capitol and whatnot, and I'll say this about them: every one I saw carried their weapon properly: slung, with their hands off of it.  I don't LIKE their displays, I think it's pointless....but I also didn't look at any of them as an imminent threat, because they weren't (most didn't even have magazines in -- which I also appreciated).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Very glad to have had my firearms at home on 2 occasions. 
One, after recently moving in new neighborhood, and on the same week a houseguest had his car burglarized, I came home to see through my window blinds a silhouette of a stranger in the backyard. (Turns out, it was a neighbor who somehow fell through the fence into my yard and hurt himself on a nail?? Still WTF to this day)
Two, late at night, heard loud commotion coming from the garage…later localized to the ceiling above the garage…and next day coworkers assured it was commonly raccoons in the attic. 

Both cases it felt secure having something with me, rather than having to burst out of the house and call the cops

Thank god you were armed.

88037e1d7ee8b3876d03a5ae1d57ded8.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

It's super-fucked up, and absolutely an act of aggression threatening imminent violence.
I've seen the Gravy Seals out here in Austin during their various marches at the capitol and whatnot, and I'll say this about them: every one I saw carried their weapon properly: slung, with their hands off of it.  I don't LIKE their displays, I think it's pointless....but I also didn't look at any of them as an imminent threat, because they weren't (most didn't even have magazines in -- which I also appreciated).

Gravy seals deserves 100 reps.

I honestly don't give a crap if everyone is carrying with a valid, earned CHL. But does ANYONE actually think people should be open carrying? I don't think I've heard support from any poster on this site (though, they could just be scared to out themselves). Who are these people, and why are we catering to what's probably 1% of the country that finds it necessary to open carry?

As far as the poll: I used to own a couple of guns, but it became difficult to devote enough time to shooting/cleaning/maintaining. And I don't want to be the moron keeping unmaintained firearms around my family, even in a safe. Never thought of them as protection, only sport.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't have a gun and have never felt the need. My logic has always been "if you're going somewhere that you feel like you aren't safe unless you have a gun, don't go to that place". Has never failed me yet.

Spoken like someone who has never had the urge to cruise for the lowest of low-rent hookers.  Must be nice to be all fancy-like.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thank god you were armed.

88037e1d7ee8b3876d03a5ae1d57ded8.jpg

My manager volunteered to plink them out with his BB gun. Which is how he took care of it at his house. 

But if I hear strange rumbling noise from my garage I could call you over and you could do Brazilian JiJitsu on whatever you find in there. 

59 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I mean you can try that if you aren't afraid of spending a few decades in prison.  

Lol. You might get arrested for murder but it’d never stick. Easy self-defense claim in most circumstances when the person you killed had a rifle out and at the ready. 

I’ve posted this before, but…

If you see me wearing pants, I’m carrying (usually in my pocket). 
If you see me without pants, then call Mrs. Brat to come pick me up before the cops do. 🤪

edited to add caveat: I do not carry in posted places.

Edited by Armybrat