2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

When did Altuve have an oblique issue earlier this year? I missed that.

whatever happens, we need him 100% by July 24 when 13 of the next 16 are against Rangers, Rays, Yankees and Orioles 

if he has to sit for the 3 series road trip out  the break against Angels, Rockies and A’s so be it 

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

When did Altuve have an oblique issue earlier this year? I missed that.

whatever happens, we need him 100% by July 24 when 13 of the next 16 are against Rangers, Rays, Yankees and Orioles 

if he has to sit for the 3 series road trip out  the break against Angels, Rockies and A’s so be it 

Within a week of him coming back from the broken thumb.

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

No framber tomorrow 

Astros rotation against the Mariners 

Thurs: TBA
Fri: Hunter Brown
Sat: Framber Valdez
Sun: Brandon Bielak 

Cristian Javier will not start in the series.

Christian Javier should be put on the DL and Blanco should be called up to start Thursday.  I assume they aren't fucking around and pitching him in a minor league game for no damn reason after he pitched Friday in Arlington.  

Javier would be eligible to come off the disabled list Tuesday the 18th after the all star break.  That trip to the DL would only cost him his start this time through the order.  It can't be Spaghetti b/c he went 3 solid relief innings the other day in Sugar Land.  It can't be Whitley b/c the universe hates me. It can be Dubon, I guess, but why when it could be Blanco?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I understand the rules about recalling players

But Mushinski was sent down after the game also

Could just be a separate one for one move for over the weekend to shore up pitching in that series. Paredes? Someone else on the 40 man that’s stretched out to throw 3 or 4 if a game goes sideways?  

Good win today, nice to see France give another quality start. He could turn into the 4/5th starter of the future. The pitching rotation will really be something once Whitley joins it 😉

Diaz should start at catcher every game, he's clearly the future of the team at that position. Get him all the reps you can this year, and if you sneak into the playoffs, great.  I'm very happy to see him play well, knowing that we would likely have spent a lot of resources to get Maldys long term replacement. 

Why is Madris still on the roster? Send him back to loserville. 

Meyers is not a good bat and a slightly above average fielder, he should be the 4th outfielder coming off the bench. Chas should starts every fucking game. 

And Yuli should have been re-signed for 2m, it's chump change for this team. He would have made an excellent DH and 1B backup/rotation guy. He's batting 270 with a 778 ops, which is awesome for a guy like that on a near minimum deal. So fucking stupid to let him walk when he wanted to retire here. Now we have a dumbass .118 hitter from triple A taking what should have been his spot. Really really dumb and very disloyal of the team to let him walk like that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
16 minutes ago, WBT said:
That future is now

Hate on Jake if you must but remember that we probably don't get Maton and Diaz but for the organizational belief he could replace Straw easily.

You mean to quote someone else?  I was replying to the France comment.

I like Jake more than most here and think he should be playing almost everyday.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know whether it's the pitching/pitching coaching, run prevention, veteran clubhouse, winning culture, whatever, but somehow this team is 49-38 with the fourth best run differential despite bad years from Abreu and Bregman, barely any Altuve + no Yordan recently, nothing from LMJ/Garcia/Urquidy, a completely worthless Maldonado taking up a lineup spot regularly, and fucking Montero and Madris on the team.  It seems miraculous.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When we play the rangers at the end of Huky we need to be in first place. 
we are two back now. We have 

4 home- Mariners 

9 away- 2 Colorado, 3 Angels (No Trout or Rendon and maybe Ohtani gimped) 4 Oakland. 

Texas has:

4 away: 1 Boston, 3 Washington 

9 Home- 3 each Tampa, Cleveland and the Dodgers  

call it 6-7 for them and 9-4 for us  that would put us 1 up with the home series against them, hopefully with Yordan, Altuve, Urquidy and Javier all healthy and ready to go.  
That would be pretty remarkable  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Also, the Rangers' expected W-L is 58-29 v. 51-36 reality.

That helps but obviously can't be relied on.

Very true. Their bullpen is shitty but they got Chapman and have more help coming at the deadline I’m sure. That should help them stop blowing 1 run games by the basketful. 

6 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I don't know whether it's the pitching/pitching coaching, run prevention, veteran clubhouse, winning culture, whatever, but somehow this team is 49-38 with the fourth best run differential despite bad years from Abreu and Bregman, barely any Altuve + no Yordan recently, nothing from LMJ/Garcia/Urquidy, a completely worthless Maldonado taking up a lineup spot regularly, and fucking Montero and Madris on the team.  It seems miraculous.

I’ve been thinking about this.  The culture thing is the one thing that stands out for me.

3 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I’ve been thinking about this.  The culture thing is the one thing that stands out for me.

Winners win - most of these guys have been through a lot of stressful games, glorious highs and lows.

They really do seem to have that switch if they want to at times.  One of them mentioned it after the 12-11 win.

Edited by Pablo
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, runthebone said:

lot of lesser pieces stepping up at different times 

especially pitchers 

Edited by tx 3 putt

20 minutes ago, runthebone said:

the no names have stepped up big time - Julks, Dubon, Diaz . Chas not a no name but has done fantastic. 

Tucker damn good. Abreu waking up the last 5 weeks. 

Fuckin' 10.80 ERA Dubin comes in pitching one masterpiece start. 

the improvement of Maton. Abreu, Neris, Presley steady as she goes. 

The ingredient click just at the right time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Y’all about to talk Dusty into Manager of the Year

if the Astros win another pennant or WS title, I'll happily praise him for a job well done and Manager of the Year while he pokes all of us in the eye with a game-worn toothpick.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the no names have stepped up big time - Julks, Dubon, Diaz . Chas not a no name but has done fantastic. 

Tucker damn good. Abreu waking up the last 5 weeks. 

Fuckin' 10.80 ERA Dubin comes in pitching one masterpiece start. 

the improvement of Maton. Abreu, Neris, Presley steady as she goes. 

The ingredient click just at the right time. 

Dusty and the entire staff has done a solid job. The pitching program / staff, has done a damn great job from the minors to Minute Maid 

• Hook 'Em 1