2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s up with Leon? He went from almost making the major league roster in 2022 to Sugarland obscurity in 2023. 

He has gotten better every month so far. Had a 1.094 OPS in June. With the logjam of RH hitting OFs, he likely needs another organization, or clear out Meyers and Julks in a trade for pitching. He has the strongest OF arm in the organization.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/3/2023 at 12:05 PM, Mitch Hedberg said:

Brantley isn’t coming back. And if he does how brittle is he going to be? Release him, file the insurance and go find an outfielder who can hit.

How much insurance cash do they get on his $12m? Enough to buy Ohtani right? 😂 

• Haha 1

That regard Bagwell said Brantley would be ready for Opening Day. Props to Uncle Mike for finessing another contract. I’m sure the team will order some puff piece in October to remind us all of how essential the Professional Hitter is in the clubhouse.   

Please remind me of what $12 million could have bought us last winter. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

So Jim Crane is just going to have to eat $12 mil. Sounds fun. 

Brantley knew his shoulder was f***ed. He would have signed anything the Astros put in front of him. But the dumb and dumber give him a guaranteed $12 million. At a minimum, I hope Brantley and Montero’s contracts sever Bagwell’s influence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

#unpopularopinion 

I’m very much in the camp of - we don’t need a bat, let our guys play. Jake and Julks are trending up. dubon can cover 2nd, and a healthy Yordan. We don’t need another guy taking away their at bats. I want to see those guys getting better and making a run. I don’t think we can get a quality bar. 

we need another arm + urquidy back 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

#unpopularopinion 

I’m very much in the camp of - we don’t need a bat, let our guys play. Jake and Julks are trending up. dubon can cover 2nd, and a healthy Yordan. We don’t need another guy taking away their at bats. I want to see those guys getting better and making a run. I don’t think we can get a quality bar. 

Jake isn't trending up. Fuck that shit, we need another bat. We have a mediocre offense due to injuries and relying on shitty players to make up for that slack. You go get a bat because injuries are continuing to happen and you need real MLB caliber production.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Jake isn't trending up. Fuck that shit, we need another bat. We have a mediocre offense due to injuries and relying on shitty players to make up for that slack. You go get a bat because injuries are continuing to happen and you need real MLB caliber production.

Also we’re one injury (besides Altuve’s current one) from a disaster. Def need a bat. 

#unpopularopinion 

we definitely need another bat. Julks may have some future value but he's probably league average at best and Meyers is better than last year but he isn't consistent enough to be counted on. The bigger issue with them imo is that we can't afford for those spots in the order to be average when Pena is playing just as poorly. 

So yeah we need a bat.

#unpopularopinion 

I’d partially agree. If we can pick a no. 3 starter and not get fleeced on prospects, that’d be a win. It’s the biggest need right now.

Replacing Jake in center should also be a focus. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

15 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The bigger issue with them imo is that we can't afford for those spots in the order to be average when Pena is playing just as poorly.

Bingo. We need peak Peña more now than at any time since October. Good old sophomore slump, maybe, but he's just not performing anywhere close to the level expected. 

20 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Get a Lf and play Chas in CF.

Altuve, LF, Tucker, Yordan, Abreu, Bregman, Diaz, Chas, Dubon/Peña 

I'd trade Meyers for Seth Brown today and platoon Brown and Julks in LF. Brown has a career .784 OPS against RHP. Bats left-handed, something the Astros need and two years of team control. Neither Meyers nor Brown should be in any realistic long-term plans for the Astros, and their salaries are a wash.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I heard the Brantley stuff and just laughed. 

Yep, but I suppose he's just trying to publicly play the crappy hand Crane and Bagwell dealt him with that contract. What else is he supposed to say that won't get him in trouble with the boss?

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Did they ask him about Chas McCormick's playing time?

no, but Sean lead in with a lengthy ode to the great managerial job Dusty's doing this year considering all the injuries the team has faced and Brown echoed that and talked about his managerial instincts and experience etc etc..

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What was Dana’s exact quote on Brantley? 

Same balderdash about how this time it's not like before and they just needed to shut him down out of caution and then ramp him up later. When asked if he would hit this season, Brown answered affirmatively and said they expect him to be there in the lineup in August/September.

The 790 audience, probably:

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• Haha 1