2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Do you think the bulls ever told Jordan he couldn’t play a game ?

Nah, but the league did for 2 years.

Dusty is our Birmingham Barons assignment. The team still overcame it last year.

Edited by slorch

I think there is going to be a massive log jam at the trade deadline.  Any team realistically attempting to get Ohtani is either going to have to wait until he is finally traded, the Angels say they aren't doing anything, or just bail out because I am sure some of the prospects that team would be shipping to the Angels would be needed to get other deals done for them.  

Then teams will start scuffling once they know they are out on Ohtani and start firing trades all over the place.  

Now the question is how many teams fit in that "realistically attempting" category

The value of Cease at 5.7m this year and 2 more years of arbitration is pretty good. He's not having a great year, especially compared to last year where he was the runner up for AL Cy Young. Maybe he's one of those guys who just needs a change of scenery and new coaching, like Gerrit Cole who rebounded tremendously after leaving the Pirates. 

Luis Robert is on a contract extension for 5 years, with the last 2 years being 20m each, but with a 2m buyouts. That is a very team friendly contract and should be a hot commodity at the trade deadline if the White Sox face reality and start selling. 

Both of those guys are good assets and will require either more prospects in trade, or taking on junk contracts, and the Sox have a few big ones.

Moncada just can't stay healthy and is making 18.5m, 24m, 25m (5m buyout)
Lance Lynn is making 18.5m, 18m (1m buyout)
Tim Anderson 12.5m, 14m (1m buyout)
Yasmani Grandal could be an upgrade at Catcher for a half year rental at 18.5m. It would save the Sox some money, and help platoon the position for the Astros. Might be an opportunity for a win-win in the trade if Diaz needs to be included, however that harms the Astros future at the position.  

If Crane is willing to take on some salary, the White Sox have plenty they would like to dump, they just have to figure out what they really want to do. They are currently 4th in the worst division in baseball and 17 games under .500. It should be time to tear it down, rebuild and fill up the farm system. 

Robert pluses: 1 of the 10 best players on earth when healthy, signed for 4 more years after this

Robert minuses: oft-injured, strikeout prone, will be expensive in trade

Cease pluses: has been a legit ace, signed for 2 more years after this

Cease minuses: hasn't been as lucky as he was last year, will be expensive in trade

The more I think about it the more I would be willing to give up Pena as a headliner (along with Meyers, Gilbert, and a couple of other valuable pieces) for those 2.  It'd be a franchise-altering trade for both teams which makes it incredibly unlikely but it would be the most exciting trade the Astros have made in my lifetime, bigger than the Unit, Cole, Carlos Gomez, Beltran, or Verlander trades.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pena/Meyers/Gilbert/Arrighetti/Garcia for Cease/Robert
McCormick for Bellinger/Stroman
Melton/Leon/Bielak for Barlow/Hernandez

Playoff Roster:
CF Robert
LF Bellinger
2B Altuve
DH Alvarez
3B Bregman
RF Tucker
1B Abreu
C Diaz
SS Dubon
Bench: Maldy, Julks, Kessinger, Singleton/Salazar
Rotation: Framber, Cease, Stroman, Brown
BP: Pressly, Javier, Barlow, Abreu, Neris, Maton, Hernandez, France, Urquidy

Probably one of the greatest rosters of all time.  Only significatn offseason tasks would be finding a replacement for Bellinger (or deciding one of Julks/Barber/Corona/Loperfido/Dirden is ready) and signing 1 decent RP.

As long as we’re dreaming let’s trade Montero and Blight to the Mets for Verlander and $20 million. They save money and we get Verlander for half price. Win-win! 😂

I think we are realistically looking more at inning eating starting pitchers like Lorenzen or Hendricks if as stated Brown doesn’t want to trade top prospects. We just can’t match other teams packages with this many buyers. 
Im all in on Roberts at most any cost fwiw. Him next to Tucker for at least 2 more years would be fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is the first year in his career that Robert has a chance to play the whole season.  That part makes me nervous.  He's never been able to play in 100 games before this year.

Why are you drunk so early in the day ? 😂

we use 150 diff lineups for 162 games, 100 games is fine. Just be healthy in oct 

we can't keep our own players healthy but y'all are salivating over a guy who has never been healthy until this season.  his previous high in homers for a season was 13.

it will all be about which teams are smart at the deadline.  plenty are mathematically "in it" but realistically don't have a chance to go anywhere.  imo, the teams that figure that out and take advantage will be the winners.

my vote is still for e-rod, 1-2 bullpen pieces, and possibly a mid-level of bat (bellinger or lower).

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The Astros have one playoff quality starter right now.  France is pitching better than Javier.  That is not a recipe for a deep playoff run.

Our pitching is fubar’d 

we a need a starter and a BP arm, just to eat innings. We can figure out quality later. I’d look hard at anyone that’s released and that’s free. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38042922/mariners-jarred-kelenic-breaks-foot-kicking-water-cooler

Mariners' Jarred Kelenic breaks foot by kicking water cooler

The Seattle Mariners placed Jarred Kelenic on the 10-day injured list Thursday after he suffered a fractured left foot by kicking a water cooler in frustration.

Sounds like another guy who would benefit from a semester at the Phil Maton School of Anger Management.

• Haha 2

I'm told today is a routine day off for Yordan Alvarez in Sugar Land. He is expected to play on Friday and Saturday. Dana Brown said on 
@SportsTalk790 earlier this week that the hope is for Alvarez to return to the major-league lineup on Monday for the Rangers series.

The Godfather Sigh GIF

F1ggE2QWIAItZYs?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38042922/mariners-jarred-kelenic-breaks-foot-kicking-water-cooler
Mariners' Jarred Kelenic breaks foot by kicking water cooler

The Seattle Mariners placed Jarred Kelenic on the 10-day injured list Thursday after he suffered a fractured left foot by kicking a water cooler in frustration.

Just saw his interview....jfc what a pussy sobbing like a bitchboy