2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

One day Dubon is gonna be the answer to a whole lot of random ass trivia questions.  The best one will be, "Who hit leadoff and 9th on more than one occasion in the same season?

The leadoff and 9th thing probably isn't all that unusual as 20 or 30 years ago (maybe 15-20) there used to be a lot of talk about the 9 hitter being "the second leadoff hitter" and they'd put leadoff type jackrabbits there.  Occasionally even had pitcher hitting 8th to further solidify that point. I would imagine that some of those guys moonlighted as leadoff hitters when their leadoff guy was down.  
That hasn't been a thing I've heard anyone serious about baseball say in more than a decade though, so...

I just want to know if Dusty is the only manager in the history of baseball who feels like he must hit the sub in the spot in the batting order that he's subbing for. Like @henrygandorfsaid, it's absurd and ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The leadoff and 9th thing probably isn't all that unusual as 20 or 30 years ago (maybe 15-20) there used to be a lot of talk about the 9 hitter being "the second leadoff hitter" and they'd put leadoff type jackrabbits there.  Occasionally even had pitcher hitting 8th to further solidify that point. I would imagine that some of those guys moonlighted as leadoff hitters when their leadoff guy was down.  
That hasn't been a thing I've heard anyone serious about baseball say in more than a decade though, so...

I just want to know if Dusty is the only manager in the history of baseball who feels like he must hit the sub in the spot in the batting order that he's subbing for. Like @henrygandorfsaid, it's absurd and ridiculous. 

seinfeld jackie GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

ruiz seems like the type to hit 9th and 1st a bunch.

it's a joke that yainer isn't on there, but same as it ever was.  two boston guys on the list lol.

for our resident birds fan, adley finished 2nd last year and his numbers were fairly puny in comparison.  plenty of folks were already calling him the best catcher in the league, so i guess there's that.  he also finished 12th in mvp voting, which seems strange.  when people envision adley do they think he's a .300 / 27hr / 90rbi guy?

anyway, i don't have defensive/framing stats handy, but here's throwing guys out:

image.thumb.png.87aa1d83a9e120a050461d3a63163bfd.png

15 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Hopefully they (or the FO) also implored Dusty to give Yanier a shot at catching Framber or JV this series as a trial run for the postseason. 

otherwise get ready to see him riding pine tomorrow and/or Wed.

I expect we’ll have Chas in center tomorrow with Yordan (or Brantley) in left and the other at DH. They won’t put Yainer’s glove at first over Abreu with ground ball Framber on the mound.

on Wed, it’ll probably be Dubon back in center thanks to his two HRs today and the nice catch he had with Yordan/Brantley flipping LF/DH opposite whatever they are Tuesday. Maybe we’ll see Yanier at first with JV being more of a fly ball pitcher and likely fewer infield ground balls.

Or we’ll get dubon both days 

sigh

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

when people envision adley do they think he's a .300 / 27hr / 90rbi guy?

I don’t see it, yet.  I see a fairly disciplined hitter with gap power who can yank mistakes from both sides.  He can run, too.

He’s been the O’s leadoff hitter since Mullins got hurt the first time.  He seems happy with a BB and moves runners along when the situation warrants.

He’s a great defensive C and is regularly praised by the P for pitch calling and game management.  His arm doesn’t seem special.  I wish he had James McCann’s hose.

He’ll do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I’m not a smart man Jenny, but I know what love is (Dubon and maldy with Dusty)

If Dusty let’s Maldonado hit against a RHP after a Framber is out (and he will) it’s a borderline crime against baseball. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

min salary 

Minimum talent and minimum production to go with it. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Well, there’s an unbiased opinion.  Does defense count?

LOL, be honest.  You had absolutely no idea that Yainer's offensive numbers were better than Gunnar.  (And that isn't your fault!  Our manager treats him like a AAAA player instead of quite possibly the best offensive player at his position on the planet.)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LOL, be honest.  You had absolutely no idea that Yainer's offensive numbers were better than Gunnar.  (And that isn't your fault!  Our manager treats him like a AAAA player instead of quite possibly the best offensive player at his position on the planet.)

I watch the Astros whenever their game doesn’t conflict with the O’s.  I know Diaz hits the shit outta the ball and that Maldonado is Dusty’s love child.

I also know that a rookie C, no matter how good his O, isn’t as valuable as a rookie SS who regularly shows off 5 tool skills.

5 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I watch the Astros whenever their game doesn’t conflict with the O’s.  I know Diaz hits the shit outta the ball and that Maldonado is Dusty’s love child.

I also know that a rookie C, no matter how good his O, isn’t as valuable as a rookie SS who regularly shows off 5 tool skills.

Which one gets to play more than half the time?

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

A year ago, today?  No.

For a couple of weeks at the end of last year, yes.  He aced the playoffs.

But you just told me that "a rookie C, no matter how good his O, isn’t as valuable as a rookie SS who regularly shows off 5 tool skills."  Pardon my confusion.

7 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I guess I forgot the particulars of Peña’s 5 tool rookie season …

I mean, he hit 22 HR, won the gold glove at SS and was 95th percentile in sprint speed among MLBers in 2022.

His “hit” tool probably wouldn’t count here, but Gunnar hasn’t exactly been Tony Gwynn either.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

So, we’ve gotten off Gunnar v Diaz for AL RoY in 2023 to Adley v Peña for AL RoY in 2022?  OK …

Look man, I wholeheartedly agree that this argument is dumb as hell and pointless in this thread.  We're merely pointing out that the premise for your "GUNNAR RULES" argument falls apart under the lightest bit of scrutiny, especially when compared to a strikingly similar scenario from only a year ago.

And here's the thing, Gunnar is great!  This has nothing to do with him.  There is just a lot of frustration in here from Astros fans that Yainer isn't even in the ROY discussion.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, he hit 22 HR, won the gold glove at SS and was 95th percentile in sprint speed among MLBers in 2022.

His “hit” tool probably wouldn’t count here, but Gunnar hasn’t exactly been Tony Gwynn either.

Tony Gwynn!  The dude in Miami might be the only current hitter in that discussion.