Frisco, TX lawmaker wants to ban Lonesome Dove in Texas schools

GreenspointTexas

34 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm 100% confident, without reading the article, that said "lawmaker" is a member of the GOP.

Yep, and he hasn't read the book either.

This fucking state.  GOP is trying to pander to the dumbest people in the state, and whether those Republicans are considered smart/intelligent/educated, they are still pandering to the dumbest fucking people and pushing the dumbest fucking legislation, so they might as well be just as fucking dumb as their voters.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Who wouldn’t want a poke with young Diane Lane?  Anyone who spends time banning books and not 100% of energy on keeping guns out of the hands of crazies deserves public scorn. We are battling people running for our district’s school board trustees that are local fronts for an ultra right wing group in Florida that effectively wants to make our curriculum a private school curriculum. We are fighting it like hell. 

Topical because I literally just watched the series from the 80's last week on @shadow_operative recommendation.

What is objectionable that should be banned that I'm missing? Granted it was the made for TV series and not the book, so maybe there is more vulgarity and graphic in the book, but the series was super tame. The only thing I can think of is they use the word "whore" a dozen times or so and show prostitution?

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm stilly having a hard time with the fact this guy was an aggy and never read Lonesome Dove.  I know more than one aggy that hasn't ready any other books since they last read it. 

This moronic piece of shit does not read. And he’s making laws that directly affect your childrens’ health and wellbeing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Topical because I literally just watched the series from the 80's last week on @shadow_operative recommendation.

What is objectionable that should be banned that I'm missing? Granted it was the made for TV series and not the book, so maybe there is more vulgarity and graphic in the book, but the series was super tame. The only thing I can think of is they use the word "whore" a dozen times or so and show prostitution?

That's his concern. The prostitution. And Blue Duck did some evil shit to Lorena. Of a fictional book. 

Is anyone here seeing this at their schools?  I'm listed as one of the areas this is happening, but the oldest has had books about slavery, the holocaust, and several other books about fucked up events in our history (small pox blankets holla). She was also taught about the civil war in the correct context.   I read thru the descriptions of all the books on your link. I wouldn't be for against getting rid of them (lol at the Obama one); I don't really know when the appropriate age to be reading about blowjobs, rape, and molestation is?  It's been a long fucking time since I've been in a K-12 library, but are there areas cordoned off to the 11-12th graders, etc?