2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

13 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

The sensational Cincinnati Reds rookie flied out to deep centerfield during his first at-bat against the Milwaukee Brewers on Monday night. When he approached the plate for his second at-bat in the third inning, he was met with this greeting from the Brewers' home scoreboard operator.

"Elly De La Cruz: Almost his a home run in the first inning... but didn't."

On the very first pitch of the at-bat, De La Cruz did this:

fify

image.thumb.png.9fce398579e11b87ec3b97a0390c20dc.png

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So he still isn't drawing walks and pitchers have temporarily forgotten to work around the zone? 

Did you miss the .918 OPS on the year? Who gives a shit about walks if your ops is that high? Just another way sabermetrics ruined the game.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Did you miss the .918 OPS on the year? Who gives a shit about walks if your ops is that high? Just another way sabermetrics ruined the game.

Well, one of the big flaws of OPS is that it weights OBP and SLUG equally.  OBP is much more important than SLUG; it's why wOBA was invented.

If you somehow had a guy with a 200 OBP and a 700 SLUG, that's not a very good player; way worse than a 400/500 guy.

Edited by Beau Vine

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I recommend the Yankees trade for him immediately. Paying zero attention to underlying red flags is what winners do. 

Also, how dumb is complaining about sabermetrics because OPS is more important? 

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

He’s been absolutely horrific defensively this season. 

Holy fuck.  Literally an hour ago, I was telling my godson that it's nearly impossible for a SS to have negative WAR because the positional adjustment is so big for SS.  We were talking about Volpe, but I guess I was wrong.

image.png.cdb04cfe2caf87213fbfa1098dedc5f1.png