2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

Gallon's perfect thru 4.  I wish I had been counting the number of 1st-pitch swinging strikes because it has to be an absurdly high number.  

Now perfect thru 5 thanks to a diving Thomas catch in CF.  Strider has fanned 6 in a row. 

Gallon gave up bomb to Arcia.  fluke double by Harris off 2nd base bag with SS standing right behind, picked off, Acuna single.  Strider with 13 K through 6, mostly on sliders. 1-0

Edited by Beau Vine

And of course, Dominic Canzone (who got his first ML hit last night) takes Strider deep after a walk and HBP.  3-1 Snakes.

And a bomb by Manny Rivera makes it 4-1 and chases Strider.

Double off the wall by Riley and Olson's 31st HR make it 4-3.  Warning track FO and Braves are definitely seeing ZG better now.

Carroll just hit one a mile, over that weird RF seating section. 5-3

3-runn HR by Riley, 6-5 Braves B8

Olson 45-deg moonshot makes it 7-5 headed to 9th

Snakes strand 2, lose 7-5.  

Game of the year candidate.

So to recap...

Thru 6 innings, it was 1-0 with a perfecto for Gallon and 13 K for Strider.  Then the 7th inning saw 6 runs, Strider knocked out and Gallon completely gassed.

Edited by Beau Vine

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Strider gave up a leadoff triple in the 4th and then struck out the side.  9 K's

My son lived the frustration of being stranded at third after a leadoff triple last night in his high school summer league game. So frustrating as you can feel it coming after the first out. Strikeout, shallow fly out, groundout. I mean just hit the ground ball first and there's probably a 50% chance it gets through (infield was in, it was a 1-0 game late).

Just now, Helobious said:

That’s a debate? I thought everyone knew it means every out in an inning was a strikeout.

Some people think it only means striking out the first 3 batters. Which is retiring the side in order and therefore striking out the side in order. 

Side means half inning, not team. A half inning is three outs. If all three outs are Ks then you struck out the side. Fight me. 

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Some people think it only means striking out the first 3 batters. Which is retiring the side in order and therefore striking out the side in order. 

Side means half inning, not team. A half inning is three outs. If all three outs are Ks then you struck out the side. Fight me. 

This is correct. As in “Ohtani, who homered in the top half of the inning, strikes out the side but in between gives up 2 singles and a homer, something that hasn’t been done since you know who.”

24 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Bigger question.

what does “they bat around” mean?

I know everyone will probably say 10 batters in an inning.

i say 9.

and also, gif is pronounced with a hard G

Here we disagree. I think bat around means the guy who led off the inning comes back around. But I'm not as particular about this one, in fact I can see viewing that guy's appearance in the on deck circle as coming back around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Bigger question.

what does “they bat around” mean?

I know everyone will probably say 10 batters in an inning.

i say 9.

and also, gif is pronounced with a hard G

To me it means the leadoff guy comes back up to bat. You went fully around the batting order. Sending 9 up is more like you just went through the batting order.

I feel dirty agreeing with Huck so much today. I need a shower.