2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I have an avatar bet with one of the astro fucktard idiots and I can’t remember who. I wanna say @TonyTexas or maybe @UTexasFight.

Do you have Alzheimer’s or are you just stupid? We discussed this less than 2 weeks ago when I made the very generous offer to let you buy out of the bet. Anyway, here are the terms. 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:13 AM, TonyTexas said:

You want to do an avatar bet on the season? Yankees vs Astros. Whoever goes farther in the playoffs gets to chose the other’s avatar for a month. In the off-chance neither make the playoffs or both get knocked off in the same round, then best regular season record wins. 

Damn we’re even tied for a wild card spot right now too. We should’ve added a qualifier for if one team had a better record but still missed the playoffs. But whatever no money involved who cares. I’m still liking my chances. Astros seem like the more incomplete team.

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Damn we’re even tied for a wild card spot right now too. We should’ve added a qualifier for if one team had a better record but still missed the playoffs. But whatever no money involved who cares. I’m still liking my chances. Astros seem like the more incomplete team.

Sounds like something whose team is in 3rd place and 9 games out in their division would say. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It must be nice playing in the equivalent of the MAC conference in the MLB. We’re here in the SEC West equivalent 

better class of loser, eh?  You running with that?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

better class of loser, eh?  You running with that?

Not going to get into this or shohei shitflinging anymore. Not the right thread. And not the right day. It’s a day to appreciate the freedoms we have in this country, one of which is the right to support teams from places you technically have no connection to. Happy 4th. 

I am glad my mother decided to visit this summer and it’s cool that I’m able to take her to see her lifelong favorite team in The Bronx again. I am also doubly glad the weather is overcast because she has issues being in the sun for too long due to her Leukemia medication. A cloudy day is a beautiful one for her.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Trout will really go his entire career without winning a playoff game. Not even a series, just one game. I can’t think of one other all-time great baseball player that’s true for.

Bolded is the key. Currently 14 players in the Hall of Fame with zero postseason appearances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Torres of the Yanks scored from first on a single up the middle, Orioles lollygagged the ball back to the infield. 

If it had been hit on anything but that 3-2 two out pitch he doesn’t score or even attempt to, but the running start greatly aided things. The 3rd base coach told him to stop, but he kept going.

9 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Bolded is the key. Currently 14 players in the Hall of Fame with zero postseason appearances. 

It would have been fine had he said that he doesn’t know most of the list, but to say he can’t think of even one, when ERNIE BANKS is one of them, is astonishing.

25 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Torres of the Yanks scored from first on a single up the middle, Orioles lollygagged the ball back to the infield. 

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

If it had been hit on anything but that 3-2 two out pitch he doesn’t score or even attempt to, but the running start greatly aided things. The 3rd base coach told him to stop, but he kept going.

Right on both counts.  But, let’s not forget that the OU softball CF has a better hose than Mullins who is frequently abused by runners taking privileges with his noodle arm.

It would have been fine had he said that he doesn’t know most of the list, but to say he can’t think of even one, when ERNIE BANKS is one of them, is astonishing.
When you started watching baseball in 1998, it really doesn't translate to knowledge about the history of the game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:
16 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

When you started watching baseball in 1998, it really doesn't translate to knowledge about the history of the game.

I won’t speak for everyone, but I started watching in the late 80’s. You would think that at least once in his time as a baseball fan someone would’ve casually mentioned “Let’s Play Two” to him.

• Like 1

What a fucking stupid post.  
He pitched against the same hitters that Cole pitched against.  He hit against the same pitchers that Judge hit against. 
Nobody with a fucking brain could say that he wouldn't have been the MVP of the Yankees if he played on that team. 2nd best hitter, and arguably best pitcher. 
He was the best player in all of baseball 2 years ago.  He was the best player in all of baseball last year.  He's the best player in all of baseball this year.  

You of all fucking people telling anyone their post is stupid is high fucking comedy. You literally have your own entry in the shaggy lexicon named after you, and it's not a fucking complement. This thread was a lot better when you weren't posting in it.

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Sure but all those guys played in an era where 2 (or before 1969, 1) team made the playoffs from the AL, 10-20%.

The % of teams from the AL making the postseason in Trout’s career:

2011: 29%

2012: 36%
2013-2019: 33%

2020: 53%
2021: 33%
2022: 40%

To have 1 postseason appearance and zero postseason wins with that is a joke.

It’s worse than the lovable loser days of the Cubs/Banks

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Sure but all those guys played in an era where 2 (or before 1969, 1) team made the playoffs from the AL, 10-20%.

The % of teams from the AL making the postseason in Trout’s career:

2011: 29%

2012: 36%
2013-2019: 33%

2020: 53%
2021: 33%
2022: 40%

To have 1 postseason appearance and zero postseason wins with that is a joke.

It’s worse than the lovable loser days of the Cubs/Banks

Agree. Which is why the question of whether there had ever been great players in the history of the game to never make the postseason is so ignorant. The vast majority of players never played in the postseason before playoff expansion. If one wants to call themselves a fan of the game, they should know the history as that is an integral part of the game. A dipshit like Dumbobious steals the valor of the Yankees without any true appreciation for what the franchise actually accomplished over the 20th century. Like a guy telling me he's a huge Beatles fan but can only name three songs, with one of them being Twist and Shout. Any further opinion is invalid.