2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

• 3 weeks later...

I quit reading Bill James's blog last year because it's clear to me that he's mentally ill.  He has posted some Q-Anon-like opinions, several things that are clearly factually incorrect, and he has a nasty habit of verbally attacking some of his (paying) subscribers for no discernable reason.  It's pretty sad to see.

That said, the problem with the whole clutch thing has always been that if you're trying to scientifically prove it exists, you're going to run into a brick wall trying to collect the data.  Specifically, you have to define what a "clutch situation" is, and there's no way you're going to do that accurately.  Add that to all the other noise you'd encounter (is the pitcher clutch?) in any baseball data, and you're not going to be able to prove/disprove anything.  

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.2a352594d3ecace0c888b52e1de1af94.jpg

I got a chance to see a game at Stade Olympique a couple of years before they left.  It was a shithole and the concourses felt like you were under the stands at a high school football stadium.  But the smoked meat sandwiches were pretty damn good.  It was a thoroughly mediocre experience, but now that it is no more, I’m glad I have it stowed away in my bank of baseball nostalgia.  

• Hook 'Em 3

So I've had to buy sports gear as presents because I have nephews that are into sports, and one thing I kept encountering is that this Fanatics company makes cheap, shitty gear. Just the worst. And they charge premium pricing for it. And guess what....they somehow are now the only ones allowed to manufacture sports apparel for all of the major sports leagues.

If you look online, nobody gives them good reviews. They are a complete and total rip off. The quality is trash. I do not buy anything made by them.

But holy shit, I never saw this coming where they would actually outfit real major league athletes with the cheap nonsense they peddle to us. What a cluster fuck. Pro athletes are supposed to look like pro athletes, how can anyone take a sport seriously when the players are wearing cheap knockoff looking uniforms? I really hope that Fanatics goes out of business due to this. What a seriously amateur operation they have going.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Damn.  Wakefield went fast.  Schilling leaked he had cancer seems like yesterday or the day before.  RIP.  

Fuck. 

Stacy Wakefield, the widow of longtime major league pitcher Tim Wakefield, died from cancer nearly five months to the day after he did, the family announced Wednesday.

Stacy Wakefield died after battling pancreatic cancer. Tim Wakefield died Oct. 1 from brain cancer at age 57.

"The loss is unimaginable, especially in the wake of losing Tim just under five months ago. Our hearts are beyond broken," the family said in a statement released by the Boston Red Sox. "We feel so lucky to have had her in our lives, and we take comfort in the fact that she will be reunited with Tim, the love of her life."

Tim and Stacy Wakefield were married in 2002. They are survived by their two children, Trevor and Brianna, who were born in 2004 and 2005, respectively. 

• Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...

There needs to be some context around that rule, and that the obstruction should actually prevent the runner from otherwise being safe. That runner was tagged out 5 feet from the bag, it wasn't even close. You could have parked a car on second and it wouldn't have made a difference. 

There is a natural tendency of an infielder to put his foot on the bag so they know exactly where it is without looking, and it helps make the tag more accurate in close calls. Taking that away will require adjustment, but I didn't think there was much of an issue here to begin with. There used to be issues with base runners intentionally sliding into a SS or 2b while turning a double play, but they made rules against that to fix it and prevent injuries. I thought that was a smart rule change to avoid unnecessary collisions, but I don't think this type of play warrants that kind of rule change. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1