2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I cannot fucking believe there's no baseball tonight.  I'm gonna have to figure out some way to convince the wife that the Western Ky at La Tech football game is so important that we need to eat dinner on the couch.  Somehow, I will.

Redskins - Bears TNF?

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I cannot fucking believe there's no baseball tonight.  I'm gonna have to figure out some way to convince the wife that the Western Ky at La Tech football game is so important that we need to eat dinner on the couch.  Somehow, I will.

Yea the last 2 days have been awesome I wish we had another one

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Seriously.

I mean I get it…kinda. But what is this? The Wed and thu after the all star game?

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Man what a fall from grace Vlad Jr had. He sucks now and everyone in Toronto hates him. That pickoff just cemented it. Dude looked like a future star at one point

Remember when we were all arguing about where he or Tatis would be the biggest star?  Oy...

Pretty interesting.  I wonder why he's taking this route?  Get to mlb sooner?  Bigger 1st contract?  Faster to mlb fa?

I've just been googling and if you join npb, your team can control you for up to 9 years.  You can only come over sooner if your team agrees to post you.

And if you are <25 or have <6 years npb service time when posted, you are subject to the international bonus pool limits.  This is what Ohtani did.

It looks like the biggest international bonus pool given out since the caps started was $5.6 million vs a $9.7 million slot value for 1-1 in the draft.

If a Japanese player came over and played one year of JC ball, could he still enter the draft then?

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

No Japanese player has ever done this. Definitely a big moment for the future of the sport. So long as he ends up in pinstripes I’ll be happy.

What part of "and will come to the US to play in college." did you not understand from the tweet?  Also I thought you were a Rangers fan now...

36 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

What part of "and will come to the US to play in college." did you not understand from the tweet?  Also I thought you were a Rangers fan now...

What part of “as long as he ENDS UP” in pinstripes do you not get? I know how’s going to college first. 

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What part of “as long as he ENDS UP” in pinstripes do you not get? I know how’s going to college first. 

Well, the usual Yankees’ M.O. of buying players isn’t going to work. But they might be successful by having a very high draft pick. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Pretty interesting.  I wonder why he's taking this route?  Get to mlb sooner?  Bigger 1st contract?  Faster to mlb fa?

If a Japanese player came over and played one year of JC ball, could he still enter the draft then?

1) Yes

2) He’s going to play at Vandy.

47 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Well, the usual Yankees’ M.O. of buying players isn’t going to work. But they might be successful by having a very high draft pick. 

Even as shitty as the MFY are they are going to refuse to bottom out until after this kid gets drafted.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

But as an international player he’s ineligible for NIL money. Which is stupid.

That's dumb, he deserves as much as any other NCAA player. Imagine what would happen to college basketball if that weren't the rule. Think of all the Euro 17-20 year olds that would come over and change the way the NCAA plays. It would be awesome for US college sports.

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

That's dumb, he deserves as much as any other NCAA player. Imagine what would happen to college basketball if that weren't the rule. Think of all the Euro 17-20 year olds that would come over and change the way the NCAA plays. It would be awesome for US college sports.

It's a federal student visa issue.

She gone. 

The Miami Marlins wanted to hire a president of baseball operations over general manager Kim Ng despite her constructing a playoff team this year, leading to her departure from the organization Monday, sources told ESPN.

Ng, 54, was the highest-ranking woman in a major men's North American professional sports front office. The Marlins hired her in November 2020 as general manager -- the first female GM in MLB, the NFL, NBA or NHL -- and her contract included a mutual option for 2024. In a statement, Marlins owner Bruce Sherman said the team exercised its end of the option but Ng declined hers.

Ng was offered a contract extension, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney, but she turned it down.

The team's desire to hire someone over Ng to run baseball operations surprised fellow executives around baseball, who lauded her work with the 2023 Marlins. Her deals for third baseman Jake Burger and first baseman Josh Bell at the trade deadline fortified a weak offense and helped push the Marlins to an 84-78 record and the final wild card slot in the National League.

Despire a -57 run differential, the largest ever for a playoff team, the Marlins improved by 15 games from the previous season following Ng's hiring of manager Skip Schumaker, who is under contract for 2024 with a team option for 2025. The playoff appearance, in which the Marlins were swept by the Philadelphia Phillies in the wild card round, was the first for the team in a full season since 2003.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38671694/kim-ng-marlins-general-manager-declining-2024-option