2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The obvious and easy comparison is Ruth since he pitched at the beginning of his career. 

and he was very good. 

http://www.baberuthcentral.com/babe-ruth-statistics/babe-ruth-the-pitcher/#:~:text=Wins (65 career)%3A,the Majors from 1915-17.

lots of great stats and notes there. 

As is always the case, comparing players in different eras adds a level of subjectivity, but compared to his peers, Ruth has the numbers on ohtani.  He didn’t have the longevity as a pitcher, so that comparison will get tougher the longer ohtani continues to pitch and pitch well. 

and btw not bad company to be in if that’s your best and closest comp. 

I’d bet anything Gil Bang had no idea Ruth was a pitcher as well.

Ruth was a pitcher. And then he was a hitter. I'll give you 1919, but otherwise the hitting started when the pitching stopped.

Ohtani is on a path to be the GOAT. But he still needs awards and time to get there. Give me a couple of decades, a handful of MVPs, a Cy or two, HR titles whenever Judge is on the IL, and he earns the moniker. Career ending injury next month and he's woulda/coulda.

9 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Ruth was a pitcher. And then he was a hitter. I'll give you 1919, but otherwise the hitting started when the pitching stopped.

Ohtani is on a path to be the GOAT. But he still needs awards and time to get there. Give me a couple of decades, a handful of MVPs, a Cy or two, HR titles whenever Judge is on the IL, and he earns the moniker. Career ending injury next month and he's woulda/coulda.

Shohei WAS the MVP last year.  Judge won the award.  And Reggie Bush got a Heisman when every swinging dick on this board knows that Vince deserved it.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Does it really count as a perfect game if it’s against the 2023 Athletics…and you’ve been busted for sticky stuff twice already…

It counts extra in regards to the sticky stuff, no one’s getting checked harder than him nowadays. You have a semi-valid argument about the 2023 A’s though

German can kick rocks. That the Yankees still employ this woman-beating deadbeat is amazing. I do not get negative very often, but this is a player I will never, ever root for. He should be DFA’d to the Mexican League that Kenny Powers played in on Eastbound and Down. I have zero respect for him as a person.

I am almost always the person wanting to give people second chances, but what he did was so egregious that he should not have had the opportunity to pitch a perfect game against this Quad A team Oakland is putting out there.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

German can kick rocks. That the Yankees still employ this woman-beating deadbeat is amazing. I do not get negative very often, but this is a player I will never, ever root for. He should be DFA’d to the Mexican League that Kenny Powers played in on Eastbound and Down. I have zero respect for him as a person.

I am almost always the person wanting to give people second chances, but what he did was so egregious that he should not have had the opportunity to pitch a perfect game against this Quad A team Oakland is putting out there.

Allow David Cross GIF

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

What did he do that was “so egregious” he shouldn’t ever get a second chance? He had one allegation by one woman that he slapped her one time. She never involved authorities. He served an 80 game suspension for it. He’s probably a shitty guy, not a hero or anyone to look up to. But it’s pretty sad to forever crucify someone with no evidence just so you can feel better about yourself. 

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What did he do that was “so egregious” he shouldn’t ever get a second chance? He had one allegation by one woman that he slapped her one time. She never involved authorities. He served an 80 game suspension for it. He’s probably a shitty guy, not a hero or anyone to look up to. But it’s pretty sad to forever crucify someone with no evidence just so you can feel better about yourself. 

You've been dragging the Astros for years, and now you make excuses for your bandwagon boy.  No evidence, lmfao.  What a hypocritical doucher.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You've been dragging the Astros for years, and now you make excuses for your bandwagon boy.  No evidence, lmfao.  What a hypocritical doucher.

Osuna was arrested, and served a shorter suspension than German did. And the Astros used that to sign him for cheap. Just like how they wanted to get that child molesting pitcher lower in the draft. Totally different situation. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

But it’s pretty sad to forever crucify 

The Office Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

50 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. Another Astros fan that can’t accept they cheated worse than anyone. I’ll leave it at that since this conversation isn’t worth having for the 80th time

Condescending Wonka GIF

I mean I hate to be that guy, but German did get suspended for what he did off the field and then subsequently got caught cheating multiple times on the field, name one Astro you can say that about and Ill hang up and listen...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. Another Astros fan that can’t accept they cheated worse than anyone. I’ll leave it at that since this conversation isn’t worth having for the 80th time

You've said some dumb shit over the years, but you keep setting the bar lower and lower.  Impressive, really.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Two things. The incident was not just at the party. She was so terrified of him she locked herself in a room at home until a player and their wife intervened. There is also no chance that this was the first time he hit her. It was just the first time he was drunk enough to hit her in public. He should not be on the roster in The Bronx, period.

Also this is not feeling better about myself and I would suspect that it is not the case for anyone else posting about it. Go get a 2nd chance pitching in South Korea or Japan, not in New York.

• Drool 1