2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You guys aren’t exactly lighting the world on fire either. In fact even with all our injuries we’re still doing better than you guys, despite you being full-strength all year. I like my odds.

Lulz. If by full strength, you mean without 3 of our starting pitchers, Altuve  for 50 games, Brantley for the whole season, Alvarez on extended IL. Also, by what metric are y’all doing better? Games won, games out of division lead, run differential?

Edited by TonyTexas

We are going to a Mets and Yankees game in late July.  Any tips/places to check out pregame?  Looking at each stadium doesn't appear to be much around either ballpark.  Never been to NYC, but we are staying at my nephew's apartment and he's going to the games with us and knows all the routes and ways around.  Yankee game is at night, so may do the whole tour/site seeing thing that day.  Haven't been to a game since pre covid, so pretty excited to finally get back out to some ballparks.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We are going to a Mets and Yankees game in late July.  Any tips/places to check out pregame?  Looking at each stadium doesn't appear to be much around either ballpark.  Never been to NYC, but we are staying at my nephew's apartment and he's going to the games with us and knows all the routes and ways around.  Yankee game is at night, so may do the whole tour/site seeing thing that day.  Haven't been to a game since pre covid, so pretty excited to finally get back out to some ballparks.

Contrary to what everyone here thinks I’ve been to YS multiple times. The pregame thing to do is go to Stans or Billy’s. The park across the street is where the original stadium was, they still have where home plate was marked so you can stand in the same spot as lots of legends did if you’re into that. Subway ride to/from stadium isn’t sketchy at all from most directions honestly. 

But yeah don’t wander more than a couple blocks from the stadium on foot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

But yeah don’t wander more than a couple blocks from the stadium on foot.

There is not a lot outside of Stan’s for drinkers or anyone else, but it is not a dangerous neighborhood anywhere around there. I have never had any issues walking through this part of The Bronx. One of the biggest reasons is the sheer amount of cameras in this city that see almost everything that happens.

48 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

There is not a lot outside of Stan’s for drinkers or anyone else, but it is not a dangerous neighborhood anywhere around there. I have never had any issues walking through this part of The Bronx. One of the biggest reasons is the sheer amount of cameras in this city that see almost everything that happens.

He said he was going at night though. He’d probably be fine anyway but it’s not something I’d recommend. Especially since there’s not much to see or do though

Watching Stanton at the plate is like watching the Cavaliers offense from the Mike Fratello era try to score. He is stealing money Chris Davis style this year. My mother is a lifelong Yanks fan and this is her first game since I had her here for her 70th birthday four years ago. She just has this disgusted look on her face everytime Stanton comes up. 

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He said he was going at night though. He’d probably be fine anyway but it’s not something I’d recommend. Especially since there’s not much to see or do though

Not a whole lot nearby is 1000 percent correct. What I always tell people coming here for the first time is to just stop at the Dollar General underneath the 4 train and buy snacks. Instead of spending 80 dollars on snacks inside the stadium you can spend 15-20 and bring in snacks and plastic bottle drinks. You go out to eat in Manhattan or Brooklyn or Astoria before the game.