Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

46 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Say what you want about Clark, but she certainly generates discussion.  This thread (started in 2023) has almost as many posts as the WNBA thread (started in 2020), and will likely surpass it any day now.  The Reese thread may have more, but I haven't been able to find it to confirm.  

I just think it’s cool that women are finally getting the spotlight put on them in hoops. NBA players seem to be incredibly supportive and enjoy the women’s game. I attribute that to the culture that exists among basketball players. It’s the “game recognizes game” axiom at play. I hope that a generation from now the women have a fully self-sufficient league and that they will make really, really good money playing the game. Clark might finally be the tipping point that people look back on as when the WNBA came of age. 

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Say what you want about Clark, but she certainly generates discussion.  This thread (started in 2023) has almost as many posts as the WNBA thread (started in 2020), and will likely surpass it any day now.  The Reese thread may have more, but I haven't been able to find it to confirm.  

Have you checked in the IPIHB Forum? 

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

I bought a Catilin Clark Indiana Fever jersey.

Also, it's funny Pancho is out here trying to pretend like he's never heard of the concept of a sneak diss or sublimineal diss before.

Sneak diss? What is this, 2017?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I cannot say I have ever heard of that rapper/comedian, but he made some humorous, but true points. Now that gambling on sports is widespread the women are going to get heckled like the guys are  by people losing parlays and big bets on games involving WNBA players and teams. 

or gamblers are going to take advantage of their shitty pay and get them to fix prop bets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

or gamblers are going to take advantage of their shitty pay and get them to fix prop bets.

I would agree and say this is a legitimate concern. I have no idea what the growth and revenue charts look like internally, but I hope the money grows exponentially for the players so something like this never happens.

17 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I would agree and say this is a legitimate concern. I have no idea what the growth and revenue charts look like internally, but I hope the money grows exponentially for the players so something like this never happens.

Yep, its why the NBA just stopped allowing prop betting on guys on 2 way contracts after Jontay Porter was banned

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s a mountain to climb. They made $60 million in revenue last season (Gross) and they just committed to adding $25 million in expenses for charter flights after losing approximately $10 million last season. It’s still very much a charity paid for by NBA players

Last year, a Bloomberg News report found the WNBA was projected to make $180 million to $200 million for the 2023 season.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/women-basketball-players-pay-discrepancy-record-viewership-explained-rcna148233

14 minutes ago, d2o said:

Last year, a Bloomberg News report found the WNBA was projected to make $180 million to $200 million for the 2023 season.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/women-basketball-players-pay-discrepancy-record-viewership-explained-rcna148233

Let's put that in context...

A WNBA spokesperson declined to comment on the report, which NBC News hasn’t verified. The spokesperson also declined to discuss league financials.

The WNBA's revenue compares with about $10 billion for the NBA in the season ending in 2022, the most recent year for which data is available.

Will clark raise the revenues enough this season to carry the $25 million extra in charter flight expenses (10% of revenue)?  That is a lot of Jersey sales and the rest of the league remains unwatchable.  

Angel is a very talented player, but still basically unwatchable 

43 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Will clark raise the revenues enough this season to carry the $25 million extra in charter flight expenses (10% of revenue)?  That is a lot of Jersey sales and the rest of the league remains unwatchable.  

Angel is a very talented player, but still basically unwatchable 

Angel is a post player shooting 33 %.  I’m positive she will get better.  

1 hour ago, d2o said:

• Veterans don't like being asked questions about a rookie...

Boo Hoo😫

• Why haven't y'all ever interviewed us before?

Boo Hoo😫

• Y'all don't know us...

Boo Hoo😫

• We aren't jealous...

"but vets are coming at her neck" just like they do all rookies. 😋

I’ve thought about it way too much, but I think Bill Simmons is correct that the WNBA teams should share the names of their NBA counterparts. I have trouble giving a fuck about the Fever or Lynx or whatever the teams are named, but if was the Lady Pacers it would be much more relatable and marketable.

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I’ve thought about it way too much, but I think Bill Simmons is correct that the WNBA teams should share the names of their NBA counterparts. I have trouble giving a fuck about the Fever or Lynx or whatever the teams are named, but if was the Lady Pacers it would be much more relatable and marketable.

Not a bad idea. Then the Detroit and Houston teams could do endorsement deals with adult toy companies to promote a new line of Lady Pistons and Lady Rockets.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

She was very good last night. Only scored 11 but her fingerprints were all over the game. Hit 2 deep shots to seal it. Her passing is just eye popping.

I think that’s the part that stands out the most. The passing

4 of 14 shooting though

Edited by closetohumping

Not a bad idea. Then the Detroit and Houston teams could do endorsement deals with adult toy companies to promote a new line of Lady Pistons and Lady Rockets.

At least they would have sponsors :)

I noticed yesterday that my eapn widget only showed the Indiana score (they’re the fever, right?) and I wondered if that was for a reason. This morning I see there is a full slate, and now I wonder if Indiana was the only game scheduled for yesterday and how coincidental that is. In short, I guess I’m looking for conspiracies for some reason when I don’t see even care enough at this point to watch a game.  

so i’m finding the wnba entering my tv viewing/social media world a lot more lately, and to this point it’s been about 90/10 fashion/basketball. all i really ever see, day after day after day, is wnba players walking into the arena dressed like they’re at a fashion show where the more skin you show the better. this is all very “women in 2024” for me. they’re like, “i demand that you take me and my profession seriously”, immediately followed by, “hey have you seen my underboob yet today?” 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:44 AM, definitely not derka said:

so i’m finding the wnba entering my tv viewing/social media world a lot more lately, and to this point it’s been about 90/10 fashion/basketball. all i really ever see, day after day after day, is wnba players walking into the arena dressed like they’re at a fashion show where the more skin you show the better. this is all very “women in 2024” for me. they’re like, “i demand that you take me and my profession seriously”, immediately followed by, “hey have you seen my underboob yet today?” 

I'm sorry, you're... complaining about this?

Screenshot_20240531_144234_Instagram.thumb.jpg.726e0a96a2c3ae01378eab2463f9b1fd.jpg

Personally I'm fond of the direction the league is going in.

Watching CC right now. These two teams just played... a quarter of basketball. To put it nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Screenshot_20240531_144234_Instagram.thumb.jpg.726e0a96a2c3ae01378eab2463f9b1fd.jpg

Watching CC right now. These two teams just played... a quarter of basketball. To put it nicely. 

She headed into a Costco?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Don't think he's complaining, so much as pointing out the obvious.  Sex sells.

And no matter how much some women wish it weren't the case, women in sports are judged on looks over skill when it comes marketing.

How many of us knew anything about LSU gymnastics before a few years ago?  I've still never seen Olivia Dunne compete, but I still think she's the greatest gymnast ever.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, ztejas said:

i’m definitely not complaining. just pointing out that a lot of stuff that these women do undermines their whole, “take our sport seriously!” thing.

IMG_6488.thumb.jpeg.8b21be324f8e99d4ccb08260865efad3.jpeg

IMG_6489.thumb.jpeg.43b0891b785e89f13666f2ce822acdc7.jpeg

probably good for eyeballs/attention. not great for being taken serious as athletes.

Edited by definitely not derka

1 hour ago, definitely not derka said:

probably good for eyeballs/attention. not great for being taken serious as athletes.

Are the ridiculous pre-game outfits NBA players wear good for being taken serious as athletes?

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

i’m definitely not complaining. just pointing out that a lot of stuff that these women do undermines their whole, “take our sport seriously!” thing.

IMG_6488.thumb.jpeg.8b21be324f8e99d4ccb08260865efad3.jpeg

IMG_6489.thumb.jpeg.43b0891b785e89f13666f2ce822acdc7.jpeg

IMG_7704.jpeg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

IMG_7704.jpeg

again, lebron isn’t trying to get anyone to take him seriously as an athlete. and again, i’m simply relaying my experience as a non-wnba fan in regards to what i’ve been exposed to. i only get exposed to the league when i’m watching espn or perusing twitter or IG. all three of those platforms have shown me 90/10 fashion/basketball. you’re acting like i’m attacking these women when i’m simply pointing out that they’re going about being taken seriously as athletes all wrong. 

Edited by definitely not derka

49 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The WNBA deserves what it gets.  Enjoy flying coach you petty...umm...women.

that is hilarious.  It is funny as well that no one really gives a shit.

these women constantly talk out of both sides of their mouth, they are wildly unappreciative of what they’ve been given, they are incessantly demanding to be given things like money and ticket sales out of sheer entitlement, they all hate the one player who’s bringing any attention to the league, and anyone who points any of this out gets labeled as a misogynist. man, these chicks are right- it really is harder out here for women.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91q4p7iibpn77rbepjo2

• Haha 1

WNBA marketing staff are loving the fuck outta this. They are all gonna get mad bonuses this year to recognize the first press articles covering the sport released in the month of June.