2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

On 7/3/2023 at 12:03 AM, HtownHorn said:

Holy shit, if we ever get floor spacing.

This is our next star player

On 7/3/2023 at 12:12 PM, mycox said:

Those are Dream moves. And the 25 sec mark is an exact replica of what Hakeem did to Robinson.

I bet they're going to start calling that off hand hook as a foul. 

Dude will be an MVP candidate soon. 

On 7/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, HtownHorn said:

The Rockets could have close to $25M in cap room next year as well.

Waive Porter if he doesn't straighten out, his contract isn't guaranteed. $15.9M

Waive Londale, his contract isn't guaranteed past 1 year. ~$7.8M

Club option on Tate ~ $7M

Yep.  Wonder where you'd spend it. You better hope that you don't need to upgrade at the 1, the 2, the 4 or the 5 or something has gone really wrong.  I don't see a 3 worth 25M on the market that you'd have any chance at signing.  I guess you can always improve your depth.  There's not a lot of places to really improve this team a whole lot anymore if the younger guys maximize their talent.  I guess. But, it doesn't look like any of their ceilings are high enough to compete for nba titles for a decade.  Not awesome there. 

Jabari is exactly what you hope for when you draft a 19 year old that had a meh first season and shows up to the summer league looking like he actually has worked during the off season and is hungry to get better. I know it’s just summer league but you don’t see any of the other stars getting drafted averaging 33ppg. Damn excited about smith.

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Jabari is exactly what you hope for when you draft a 19 year old that had a meh first season and shows up to the summer league looking like he actually has worked during the off season and is hungry to get better. I know it’s just summer league but you don’t see any of the other stars getting drafted averaging 33ppg. Damn excited about smith.

You also don’t typically see the number 3 pick in the draft play in summer league after their rookie year. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smith coming out of college and he would have been my first pick in last year’s draft but he should be dominating in Vegas. 

with thompson sidelined there are three players who matter on this summer league squad.  here is what they did tonight:

jabari smith - 38 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists on 13/25 shooting

tari eason - 26 points, 9 rebounds on 12/25 shooting

cam whitmore - 21 points on 9/16 shooting

that's 85 points on 34/66 (51.5%) shooting.  not bad at all.

• Drool 1

49 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You also don’t typically see the number 3 pick in the draft play in summer league after their rookie year. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smith coming out of college and he would have been my first pick in last year’s draft but he should be dominating in Vegas. 

Jaden Ivey playing and James wiseman? I’ve seen plenty of second year players play again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Jaden Ivey playing and James wiseman? I’ve seen plenty of second year players play again. 

yeah from the 2022 nba draft there are only 3 players picked in the top 10 who are not playing in this year's summer league.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What are Summer League eligibility rules? Wiseman is entering his fourth NBA season. 

I don't think there are any restrictions...as long as you're on the roster.  But yeah, it's obviously geared towards rookie/2nd year players and fringe guys trying to showcase.

Saw a quote from Jabari and he said something to the effect of his rookie season wasn't perfect and he is taking the opportunity to work on things and get game reps.

I like that attitude.

• Like 1

While expectations are in check, this has become a deep roster and it will be interesting to see how shot attempts end up. 

Last year, Houston took 89 FG attempts a game. 

Assumed starters: 

PG: VanVleet

SG: Green 

SF: Brooks

PF: Jabari

C : Sengun 

Bench: 

KPG

Tari 

Amen 

Landale 

Whitmore

Jeff Green

Tate

Some sacrifices will need to be made on the offensive end. I know Brooks' contract is huge, but I don't need him shooting 12+ times a game. Play defense and shoot 3s. Tari and Jabari are poised to break out. Makes sense to send Whitmore to G League if he's not playing many minutes in the NBA. 

• Like 1