2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Nobody goes there anymore. PVR and Cabo is where it's at.

Exactly, Acapulco is way too dangerous these days for tourists. 35 years ago Las Brisas and El Presidente were the top hotels on the coast. Now the El Presidente is a dump and raw sewage flows openly into Acapulco Bay.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Not-so-subtle reminder why I am never living close to the Texas Gulf Coast or the Florida Coast or anything like that again.  F that.  

There are tornados, earthquakes, avalanches, terrorists, poisonous animals, freak accidents, asians driving. If you live in fear you'll never have any fun.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, MisterP said:

There are tornados, earthquakes, avalanches, terrorists, poisonous animals, freak accidents, asians driving. If you live in fear you'll never have any fun.

Yup... I'm going to pick my poison.  I've already had bayou water in my house once so I moved further away from the coast and in a place that makes me happier.  Sooner or later, a move will happen again.  That may up my earthquake/avalanche/freak accident risk.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yup... I'm going to pick my poison.  I've already had bayou water in my house once so I moved further away from the coast and in a place that makes me happier.  Sooner or later, a move will happen again.  That may up my earthquake/avalanche/freak accident risk.

You can never get the stink of rotting bayou out. 

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Exactly, Acapulco is way too dangerous these days for tourists. 35 years ago Las Brisas and El Presidente were the top hotels on the coast. Now the El Presidente is a dump and raw sewage flows openly into Acapulco Bay.

Acapulco Diamanté, is several miles from away where Las Brisas and other “old” Acapulco landmarks. Diamanté is a new, gated subdivision and has had several expensive condo towers go up recently. Great option to rent for a family or large group and is a relative bargain and usually comes with maid service and a cook. Sad to see Acapulco get hammered. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

You can never get the stink of rotting bayou out. 

It took a loooot of Concrobium and Consan 20 plus a great dose of hospital grade disinfectant like a mother all over the house... it took a while to get started on the sheetrock so I made sure no stone was left unturned.  Thankfully the house was built from old growth tight grain fir (1950s house) so it didn't soak as badly as newer cheaper wood.  Still... yeah... that neighborhood smell will haunt me for the rest of my life.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

Back on topic where are the remnants gonna go? I mean the destruction is awful but they gonna go somewhere. We can has some please?

Last night on the news they were talking about that moisture feeding fuel to what we're experiencing right now.  Love it.

rage emoji = sad emoji in this case.

I'm not headed there anytime soon, especially now, but there is a line of thought that it's not nearly as dangerous as it sounds - which isn't to say there aren't cartels fucking shit up but hey, look at small town Maine, it's safe amirite?

21 minutes ago, troph said:

rage emoji = sad emoji in this case.

I'm not headed there anytime soon, especially now, but there is a line of thought that it's not nearly as dangerous as it sounds - which isn't to say there aren't cartels fucking shit up but hey, look at small town Maine, it's safe amirite?

Good point.  And I have Mexican friends who go there and say its fine.  Its just like Portland which apparently is on fire and overrun with zombies... and yet... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Good point.  And I have Mexican friends who go there and say its fine.  Its just like Portland which apparently is on fire and overrun with zombies... and yet... 

It's only a 3.5 hour drive for us and we had talked about going back in a few weeks...not so much now. We've never witnessed any cartel shenanigans there but we usually stay south. Lots of developments there that never met demand expectations, so plenty of cheap rentals.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

It's only a 3.5 hour drive for us and we had talked about going back in a few weeks...not so much now. We've never witnessed any cartel shenanigans there but we usually stay south. Lots of developments there that never met demand expectations, so plenty of cheap rentals.

let's put it this way, I've passively read about more cartel violence in Playa and Cabo than I have Acapulco, which isn't to say there isn't more there. I wouldn't know, I don't see any media about it. just acapulco = bad. But then my wife and I have had no problem renting a car and driving around in Mexico. yes we've had the shakedown in the middle of no where - gave no money and did not get taken to jail - and we've had the legit ticket in PV too where i had to go pay a fine to get my DL back.

• Hook 'Em 2