2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

42 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Will be fun watching them cry for the Federal Government to bail their asses out.  

Rick "Sunset" Scott will be the first one crying about it.  Behind the scenes he will have already formed a new demolition company to get FEMA contracts.  

• Rage+1 3

So my crazy, annoying, thief of an aunt (trust me....none of you want to see pics) moved  from MN to Spring Hill, FL a little over 5 years ago. Since she's lived there she's done nothing but post on FB about how amazing the weather is, the lack of cold/snow, etc. In particular, she loves to chime in when her friends that still live in MN are stuck in a blizzard or arctic blast with posts like "I was sitting on our lanai and just happened to see the forecast. I hope you're all ok and this is just another reason why I fled the state before the law caught up with the dozen or so scams I've been running over the past 30+ years left MN."

The past 24 hours her friends are checking in, wanting to know if she's safe or being forced to evacuate. She's chosen the "God is my protector" hurricane preparedness plan. Just giving y'all a heads up in case a pasty white, obese, 66 YO woman with a funny accent ends up on the TV after she's been evacuated from the roof of her house via helicopter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So my crazy, annoying, thief of an aunt (trust me....none of you want to see pics) moved  from MN to Spring Hill, FL a little over 5 years ago. Since she's lived there she's done nothing but post on FB about how amazing the weather is, the lack of cold/snow, etc. In particular, she loves to chime in when her friends that still live in MN are stuck in a blizzard or arctic blast with posts like "I was sitting on our lanai and just happened to see the forecast. I hope you're all ok and this is just another reason why I fled the state before the law caught up with the dozen or so scams I've been running over the past 30+ years left MN."

The past 24 hours her friends are checking in, wanting to know if she's safe or being forced to evacuate. She's chosen the "God is my protector" hurricane preparedness plan. Just giving y'all a heads up in case a pasty white, obese, 66 YO woman with a funny accent ends up on the TV after she's been evacuated from the roof of her house via helicopter.

Will Ferrell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Too bad about Joe the Plumber, I'm sure he could have shown up and instantly become Joe the Drainage expert, or Joe the FEMA expert.  

CNN just did an interview with a woman on Cedar Key, projected to be completely underwater, who is staying.  I don't like her odds.  

28 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I'll keep a look out for a Let's Go Brandon flag on a roof, with someone dressed head to toe in MAGA attire, while clinging to Invermectin on a rooftop.  On second though, we may require a better description.    

• Like 1

Tell her since she’s concerned, it’s been lower 80s the last few weeks in MN, perfect august.

But sucks it’s gonna touch like 93 this weekend. Oh well. Back to upper 70s early next week

On 8/28/2023 at 12:25 PM, locodos said:

Hurricanes slamming west coast, big bend, jacksonville, ft myers....  me in the SE Florida (with strict building codes/storm standards) and a concrete bunker of a house who hasn't filled a claim in 18yrs when I go to renew, "oh you're in the highest risk area of the state, no lube for you!"

So in the SE we get to subsidize the rest of Florida, and god forbid, if we get hit, it'll wipe out the carriers and we'll be lucky to get shit.

I'm soooo salty 

Counterpoint, you chose to live in Florida

28 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I helped out in Maui and I suppose I would help out in Florida. If people need help, they need help, regardless of how my politics align with theirs. I guess some people feel differently. I don't agree with it. I think it is petty and childish, but I understand that is where we are in society.

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

And you completely missed the fucking point.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Counterpoint, you chose to live in Florida

Sure, but I didn't chose to radically gerrymander districts and allow politicians to submit corporate drafted legislation to the fucked up state congress for rubber stamp approval.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

Too bad about Joe the Plumber, I'm sure he could have shown up and instantly become Joe the Drainage expert, or Joe the FEMA expert.  

CNN just did an interview with a woman on Cedar Key, projected to be completely underwater, who is staying.  I don't like her odds.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Had some nasty shit hit earlier with the outer bands palm tree shit all over the highway. I’m in Lakeland and just hit up Publix liquor so I’m good, supposed to fly out tomorrow at 11am, selfishly I wish the wind would pick up because this god damn humidity is brutal 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Had some nasty shit hit earlier with the outer bands palm tree shit all over the highway. I’m in Lakeland and just hit up Publix liquor so I’m good, supposed to fly out tomorrow at 11am, selfishly I wish the wind would pick ok because this god damn humidity is brutal 

I'm thinking it is pretty humid during hurricanes, but I guess it is missing Lakeland, right?

So far it has been a couple thunderstorms every now and then but nothing heavier than a dfw thunderstorm. Radar shows I’m at the eastern edge of it,  sweating like a mofo when I walked to the liquor store though

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Haven’t been in the panhandle since my navy days but damn this track is now gonna hit some really poor people with shitty housing. Not great 

It's all bad, but where it was initially forecast to hit in the armpit is not densely populated, as this tracks the west its moving into larger population centers, no bueno.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

this is bad, a bunch of people are about to have their lives change forever in a very negative way. 

I know that it happens in every hurricane, but I really don't know what the fuck is going through their heads.  Well, if they fuck around, a tree branch or 2x4 will end up going through their heads, but I mean in the events leading up to it - we've had years of social media and live coverage of the before, during, and aftermath, so it's not like they don't know what the finding out part means.

I know that it happens in every hurricane, but I really don't know what the fuck is going through their heads.  Well, if they fuck around, a tree branch or 2x4 will end up going through their heads, but I mean in the events leading up to it - we've had years of social media and live coverage of the before, during, and aftermath, so it's not like they don't know what the finding out part means.

Just don’t understand willing to live without electricity, air conditioning, food, being able to get out etc for days on end. Your house is now flooded and you have no idea what’s in the water. Seems like a terrible flex and life is about to be pretty miserable until shit gets repaired and cleaned up which could take weeks
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looks to have made land fall (cat 4) around Horseshoe Bay, which is a very small country town. It's a hot spot for scalloping for many folks.

Me and some buddies went there a few years for a wknd and had a blast but there isn't anything close by. Heart goes out to those folks that thought they could ride it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

They need to stop with this “OnCe iN a LiFEtiMe” bullshit hype. The people in Lake Charles, Grand Isle, Hattiesburg, etc., would beg to differ….

I certainly can't think it helps, with everything being a "once in a lifetime" event it loses its emphasis.  At the same time, with all our fore-knowledge, scientific data, etc, it doesn't seem to help.  Even with the warnings and whatnot, people are generally stubborn, and have already made up their minds despite the information.  I have no idea what you do with that, or why humans are collectively willing to put their heads in the sand.  I know no one likes to hear bad news, and human generally go into to denial upon hearing it, but damn.  

• Hook 'Em 1