2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Zepol, you should go.  Steamboat said he's having a party, gonna be lots of drinking, fighting, and fucking.

So far, the guest list is just the two of you.

I’ll bring the cholas. Hurricanes suck but I do miss the Hurricane parties when I lived in Pensacola

Edited by Zepol87

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Did you forget that in the fourth Jaws movie, the fucking shark followed the airplane from Massachusetts to the Bahamas?

Nah, that's what I am saying. Jaws and the sons and cousins of Jaws followed the family all over the place. I don't think storms are that smart.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bring it on. But hoping the Pacific storm just moves moisture over. Not looking for anything serious, but droughts tend to end with floods. Lakes and Aquifers will be happy. 

This. Slow drenching rains would be a godsend for Southern CA and AZ. People would be dancing in the streets.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Rip76 said:

IMG_2366.jpeg

If Austin got 1" of rain every time a weatherman said "it's a complicated setup" the lakes would be full, the temps would never break 100 degrees, and it would be paradise.

"It's complicated" = nada.

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Someone was paying WAAAAYYYYYY too much attention to a totally shitty made-for-money 4th movie

What other movies had Michael Caine, Mario Van Peebles, and his dad, Melvin Van Peebles in them?

Plus, I was not quite able to get into Rated-R movies easily at that point in my life.

6 hours ago, Rip76 said:

How the hell was Alicia 40 years ago? Wow.

This picture is from the night before Alicia.  Texas City.   

Without power for a week after.  It was freaking hot.

Wow - this makes me feel old; I moved to Houston in 1981 left in 1997 and Alicia was the only named storm to roll through while I was there. Road it out in my apt off Winrock, then went downtown but the office was closed so had a great lunch at a mexican place in Midtown that had no power but they cooked fajitas on the gas grill and they were selling beer at 1/2 because it was cool (not cold because the coolers were off).

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Rip76 said:

How the hell was Alicia 40 years ago? Wow.

This picture is from the night before Alicia.  Texas City.   

Without power for a week after.  It was freaking hot.

hurricane alicia.png

Are you my long lost brother?  Alicia was the first eye of the storm lever saw.  I had the same quarter pipe with a sheet of plywood and a sawhorse…

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

The fuck is that big red dot bearing down on Houston at the end of that gif?

Some of the models are starting to show something very significant developing south of Cancun mid to late next week. Typically, this time of the year, those are TX/LA bound storms. We'll see, but the GoM is a powder keg right now.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/17/2023 at 11:32 AM, Bevo said:

Nah, that's what I am saying. Jaws and the sons and cousins of Jaws followed the family all over the place. I don't think storms are that smart.

Storms don't take things personally, Mr. Brody.

• Like 1

Last tropical storm strength tropical cyclone to hit Southern California was in 1939.
(LA Times has a neat look back at it:  https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-08-17/has-a-hurricane-ever-hit-los-angeles-before )

Parts of the California desert will get more rain in 48 hours than they've received in the past five years.
Parts of the High Sierra will get SNOW!!!

And....
Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, California... all in a track cone BEFORE Florida this season....

May be an image of map and textImageImage

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

Last tropical storm strength tropical cyclone to hit Southern California was in 1939.
(LA Times has a neat look back at it:  https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-08-17/has-a-hurricane-ever-hit-los-angeles-before )

Parts of the California desert will get more rain in 48 hours than they've received in the past five years.
Parts of the High Sierra will get SNOW!!!

And....
Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, California... all in a track cone BEFORE Florida this season....

May be an image of map and textImageImage

It would be amazing if Hilary would drop a rain bomb on the Colorado River and help fill Lake Mead.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Meanwhile, I presume our local hope of "relief from the tropics" is deader than generalissimo Franco.

Lol. Watched Yeoman's tonight. Essentially "It still has a long way to go, but models are now showing the impact shifting more south, decreasing our rain chances."

My impression was it will still be a storm. We don't get shit.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Lol. Watched Yeoman's tonight. Essentially "It still has a long way to go, but models are now showing the impact shifting more south, decreasing our rain chances."
My impression was it will still be a storm. We don't get shit.

It was ALWAYS going to be that way. Only Charlie Browns running up to kick the football ever thought any different.