2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

18 minutes ago, MisterP said:

If y'all want to follow a cool story. My best friend is part of a crew sailing a 51ft sailboat around the globe for the Ocean Globe race, on an all veteran crew, to raise awareness for PTSD and suicide. They are sponsored by sig sauer and are competing against absolute professionals as they are....a skeleton crew.

https://skeletoncrewadventures.org/tracking here is the link. They started in Galveston and are about to land in Southampton where the race begins. I will be going to see him off next week.

This is relevant as I tracked him every day and was terrified of him hitting a hurricane on the way to England. He still have to make it around the cape this summer so it could happen.

Is the VA involved?

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is the VA involved?

I dont think so. They have several sponsors. Their goal is to treat PTSD/Anxiety/whatever with "adventure therapy". This is in the same mold as newer therapies like equine therapy etc. The good news is they have taken out 288 vets on rides out of Houston and zero have committed suicide after exploring sailing with them. Really good cause and tears me up typing it. My buddy is a better dude than I am. 

We are going to meet two of our Ukranian buddies in England when I get there. One of them is Azov. Just went back to the front like Kherson region two weeks ago for fun and to fuck around with his buddies. Different breed.

Edited by MisterP
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I see most of the reservists and national guard in the area, but occasionally I'll see veterans through the VA. The VA requires lots of training on PTSD and suicide prevention. It seems like they should be involved in that kind of thing. It is pretty cool and I'm sure it helps.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I see most of the reservists and national guard in the area, but occasionally I'll see veterans through the VA. The VA requires lots of training on PTSD and suicide prevention. It seems like they should be involved in that kind of thing. It is pretty cool and I'm sure it helps.

I shall ask them at the end of August and report post haste! 

3 hours ago, MisterP said:

If y'all want to follow a cool story. My best friend is part of a crew sailing a 51ft sailboat around the globe for the Ocean Globe race, on an all veteran crew, to raise awareness for PTSD and suicide. They are sponsored by sig sauer and are competing against absolute professionals as they are....a skeleton crew.

https://skeletoncrewadventures.org/tracking here is the link. They started in Galveston and are about to land in Southampton where the race begins. I will be going to see him off next week.

This is relevant as I tracked him every day and was terrified of him hitting a hurricane on the way to England. He still have to make it around the cape this summer so it could happen.

Tell him to be sure to have his handkerchief and his summer frock. Oh, and don't listen to "Southampton Dock" by Pink Floyd, kinda depressing and very PTSDy.

CHIEF

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 10:49 PM, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Fuck that tropical shit… much prefer hot and dry 

Honestly I would go with hot and dry for another month to get us past peak hurricane season for Texas.  Our insurance rates are already bat shit crazy right now.  Any type of storm even with relatively mild damage would give the insurance companies an excuse to go even more bat shit crazy with rates next year 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Honestly I would go with hot and dry for another month to get us past peak hurricane season for Texas.  Our insurance rates are already bat shit crazy right now.  Any type of storm even with relatively mild damage would give the insurance companies an excuse to go even more bat shit crazy with rates next year 

This is Texas.  Your choices are "burn to death or down."  You gotta pick one.

Wait...belay that order.  I understand that "freeze to death in your own home" is also now occasionally on offer.  So, you wanna order one of the regular menu items, or you wanna go with the special?

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is Texas.  Your choices are "burn to death or down."  You gotta pick one.

Wait...belay that order.  I understand that "freeze to death in your own home" is also now occasionally on offer.  So, you wanna order one of the regular menu items, or you wanna go with the special?

Don't forget the newest item on the menu - "have trees fall on your roof for 72 hours straight". Selling like hotcakes.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Zack Shields said they just upgraded to 30% chance of a tropical storm in the gulf.  Come on baby!

Western Gulf of Mexico:
A broad area of low pressure could form in the central or western 
Gulf of Mexico by the beginning of next week. Some slow development 
of this system is possible thereafter as it moves westward and 
approaches the western Gulf of Mexico coastline by the middle of 
next week. 
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...low...30 percent.

NHC thinks it's something worth monitoring as well:
two_atl_7d0.png

Is it possible that we get hammered by this massive hurricane yet it dumps not a drop of rain? I think so. Perhaps a new thing like the Great Red Spot on Jupiter sitting on top of Texas, a perpetual unending storm of hellish dry 200mph dry winds to go with our 126 degree temps.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Is it possible that we get hammered by this massive hurricane yet it dumps not a drop of rain? I think so. Perhaps a new thing like the Great Red Spot on Jupiter sitting on top of Texas, a perpetual unending storm of hellish dry 200mph dry winds to go with our 126 degree temps.

My biggest fear about this is that it becomes Tropical Storm Don in 2011.

It was completely wiped out by the high pressure.

48 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Somebody has been paying attention to this timeline.  This.  This is what we will get.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1