18,000 cattle lost in a fire - Dimmitt, TX

MonkeyDoughnut

48 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So you still eat beef? How big is the ethical gap between a feed lot cow being raised for slaughter and a free range cow being raised for slaughter? Where is the line drawn?

Everybody draws their own ethical lines.

I don't think its unethical or immoral to eat animals. I don't think its unethical or immoral to to raise animals to eat them. But if we are going to raise animals to eat them, I think we should at least try to do that as ethically as possible. As somebody said above, beef cattle spends probably most of their lives in a pasture. The real unethical treatment is done more to pigs and chickens (and I guess dairy cows?), which is why I really don't eat hardly any pork at all (yeah, I know, bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good), and buy all my eggs from either the farmer's market whenever I can, or I spend a little (or sometimes a lot) more buying free range eggs.

One doesn't have to be an absolutist. One can care about the ethics of  big ag, and still enjoy BBQ.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I don't think its unethical or immoral to eat animals. I don't think its unethical or immoral to to raise animals to eat them. But if we are going to raise animals to eat them, I think we should at least try to do that as ethically as possible. As somebody said above, beef cattle spends probably most of their lives in a pasture. The real unethical treatment is done more to pigs and chickens (and I guess dairy cows?), which is why I really don't eat hardly any pork at all (yeah, I know, bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good), and buy all my eggs from either the farmer's market whenever I can, or I spend a little (or sometimes a lot) more buying free range eggs.

One doesn't have to be an absolutist. One can care about the ethics of  big ag, and still enjoy BBQ.

-2 internet points for leaving out ribs....Mmmmmm....slow smoked BBQ ribs
pigs are amazing omnivores; we raised some for the county fair when the kids were in 4-H. You can feed them primarily grain and veggies and they then magically turn it into ham, chops, bacon, pulled butt and/or shoulder and ribs.
I am telling you that is one fantastically amazing talent

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The momma beef cows are in pasture (think Yellowstone).  But the calves go straight to a giant feedyard in Dimmit/Dalhart/Dumas right after weaning.

We all have a choice in how our meat is raised.  You want yours to come from free (or freer) range, and that's totally cool.  But if you're saying I shouldn't be allowed to buy hamburger produced in a giant feedyard in Dalhart, that's where we disagree.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

-2 internet points for leaving out ribs....Mmmmmm....slow smoked BBQ ribs
pigs are amazing omnivores; we raised some for the county fair when the kids were in 4-H. You can feed them primarily grain and veggies and they then magically turn it into ham, chops, bacon, pulled butt and/or shoulder and ribs.
I am telling you that is one fantastically amazing talent

So, you are still eating vegetarian?

If we tried to raise all our meat in free range type conditions, I would think that the sheer amount of land required to be converted to meat production would have greater environmental impacts than our current system. And then when we get to the price increases, that means that foreign meat becomes much more competitive. So more rainforest cleared for cattle production and such. Raising chickens in your back yard or keeping a cow or two on small acreage when you wouldn't otherwise certainly helps, but a large scale shift in how we raise animals would be bad news. Now, we can certainly advocate for better conditions for stuff like cows in feed lots, but large scale grass finishing isn't realistic or even desirable. Eating less meat is, but I will cut you if you try and pry my brisket or steak from my hands, so I guess I'm guilty too.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Parliament said:

The momma beef cows are in pasture (think Yellowstone).  But the calves go straight to a giant feedyard in Dimmit/Dalhart/Dumas right after weaning.

Too expensive. Cheaper to let them run around and eat cow stuff for several months and then finish them in a feedlot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Even if it means the price of a McDonald's burger goes up a buck or two.

Without a doubt the most useful thing that I have ever learned from this website is that if you ask the McDonalds guys nicely, they’ll make a big mac with quarter-pounder patties. 

16 hours ago, Parliament said:

We all have a choice in how our meat is raised.  You want yours to come from free (or freer) range, and that's totally cool.  But if you're saying I shouldn't be allowed to buy hamburger produced in a giant feedyard in Dalhart, that's where we disagree.

16 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

what

15 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I mean he did leave out that a non-insignificant portion would be backgrounded on wheat pasture/cornstalks/milo stalks/backgrounding yards

12 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Too expensive. Cheaper to let them run around and eat cow stuff for several months and then finish them in a feedlot. 

I oversimplified.  Sorry for that.  

9 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Without a doubt the most useful thing that I have ever learned from this website is that if you ask the McDonalds guys nicely, they’ll make a big mac with quarter-pounder patties. 

Oh I'm gonna try that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I ever open a burger joint, one of our offerings - probably the triple meat one - will be the “Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas.”
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If I ever open a burger joint, one of our offerings - probably the triple meat one - will be the “Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas.”

Nice thread diversion.   So, the double meat would be Big Balls in Cowtown.  (we’ll all go round)

• Like 1