DEI bans in Texas threaten recruiting, finances at Texas Universities

Satchel

Posted (edited)

At this point, I hope our regarded Legislature comes to realize that college athletics is the epitome of DEI.  College athletics participation needs to match our state's overall demographics otherwise it's just liberals winning.  

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 1

Chairman Eltife has backed himself into quite a corner.  The most pro-athletics Regent I've ever seen has gone hard to the paint to help Abbott & Patrick eliminate DEI/DDCE programs and services.  By the end of his term, when the true implications of all of this have been finally revealed, I picture him like Gob Bluth.  "I've made a huge mistake."  But he'll pass it off to the next guy.  

35 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

At this point, I hope our regarded Legislature comes to realize that college athletics is the epitome of DEI.  College athletics participation needs to match our state's overall demographics otherwise it's just liberals winning.  

Texas has the legacy of the white safety here to show its commitment to diversity in the secondary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

The most pro-athletics Regent I've ever seen has gone hard to the paint to help Abbott & Patrick eliminate DEI/DDCE programs and services.

You make it sound like he has a choice.  I guess he could resign but he’s a political animal.

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Texas has the legacy of the white safety here to show its commitment to diversity in the secondary. 

if anything is DEI it's that. is Bellmont aware that it's legal to recruit safeties from schools other than Lake Travis and Westlake?

• Haha 3

On 4/8/2024 at 2:55 PM, YChang said:

If you haven't participated in this, do so ASAP: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/aads/racial-geography-tour.html

Went on a tour last Friday with Dr. Gordon as part of my grad program and it's eye opening. 

Thanks for posting.  Super interesting.  We need to reconcile with our past to work towards a better future at UT.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Their plan is working ….

A few days ago, I got curious about when the schools that Texas affiliates with (or will soon) began accepting Black undergrad students and was taken aback by how late some of them came around. This is what I found based on either Wikipedia or school websites.

1948 Arkansas (first public school below the Mason-Dixon line)
1950 Missouri, Tennessee
1954 Kentucky
1955 Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
1956 Texas
1961 Georgia, Texas Tech
1962 Ole Miss, Florida, SMU, Houston, Rice
1963 Alabama, South Carolina
1964 Texas A&M, LSU, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Baylor, TCU
1965 Mississippi State

Edited by bolverk
  • Rage+1 6

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

A few days ago, I got curious about when the schools that Texas affiliates with (or will soon) began accepting Black undergrad students and was taken aback by how late some of them came around. This is what I found based on either Wikipedia or school websites.

1950 Missouri, Tennessee
1954 Kentucky
1956 Texas
1961 Georgia, Texas Tech
1965 Mississippi State

And now the Chris Ruffos and John Roberts of the world would have us believe that we live in a color blind, color neutral world because they’ve changed out offensive racial slurs with terms like DEI, wokeness and CRT.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

And now the Chris Ruffos and John Roberts of the world would have us believe that we live in a color blind, color neutral world because they’ve changed out offensive racial slurs with terms like DEI, wokeness and CRT.

At 52, I'll admit I'm starting to get a little old, but my age is also beginning to give me perspective. I was born in 1971, and it's shocking to see that Black undergrads were not admitted into any of those last 16 schools in the 10 years before I was born.

When I went to high school in the late 1980s and college in the early 1990s, I first learned about Civil Rights, but honestly, I didn't give it much thought. The 1960s seemed like such ancient history, and, hell, the world had changed. That was on in the past, right?

Now, I can look back on the past decade. In those 10 years, gay marriage was made legal across the US. Still, also, half of the country went crazy and elected Trump, Roe was overturned, and diversity programs are being taken away.

I guess what I'm unartfully trying to say is that a whole lot can happen in a decade, but apparently, shit takes a long time to change.

• Hook 'Em 7

On 4/9/2024 at 10:59 AM, CooterBrown said:

Collin Simmons was just a DEI recruit taking a spot from a qualified Jett Bush type.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bolverk said:

1950 Missouri, Tennessee
1954 Kentucky
1956 Texas
1961 Georgia, Texas Tech
1965 Mississippi State

Thanks for this research.

Yes, the BOR and BMD have aligned UT with the most racist part of America. Anyone who thinks the SEC moves was only about Big Boy Football and ESPN$$$$ is incredibly naive. Incredibly! 

I'll say it yet again, the SEC move was a post-BLM move to align the University of Texas with MAGA-fascism-Christian rule. Approved by Abbott to BOR to BMD, far above Del Conte and Hartzelll. End of Story. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

I guess what I'm unartfully trying to say is that a whole lot can happen in a decade, but apparently, shit takes a long time to change.

Sadly and frustratingly for some... change is slow. 

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

1950 Missouri, Tennessee
1954 Kentucky
1956 Texas
1961 Georgia, Texas Tech
1965 Mississippi State

A&M didn't admit women without limitations until 1969 and that was due to $$$$. That school would've been around the size of VMI (~2000 students give or take) if Rudder and the regents hadn't seen the writing on the wall. Ah well, nevertheless.

• Hook 'Em 1

A&M didn't admit women without limitations until 1969 and that was due to $$$$. That school would've been around the size of VMI (~2000 students give or take) if Rudder and the regents hadn't seen the writing on the wall. Ah well, nevertheless.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, little lady.
Now, don’t you have some biscuits to bake for your husband or something?
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

aggy would rather be around sheep

I don’t see how the assault of higher ed in Texas won’t invite inquiries from the AAU and other accrediting agencies:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2024/04/11/dei-tenure-antisemitism-texas-lt-gov-patricks-priorities-for-higher-education/

Patrick released a 15-page document Thursday detailing the interim charges for the Texas Senate to explore in the coming months, which included critical examinations of faculty on college campuses as well as free speech.

One charge is to monitor the state’s ban on diversity, equity and inclusion at public colleges and universities. He wants lawmakers to examine “the progress each institution has made in aligning university policies and procedures with the provisions of Senate Bill 17, ensuring Texas college campuses foster equal opportunity and reward individual merit and achievement.”

This announcement comes weeks after Sen. Brandon Creighton, author of the DEI ban, sent a letter to university leaders reinforcing the expectations and oversight process of the new law aimed at keeping DEI programs out of state schools. Schools could lose millions in state funding if they do not adhere to the ban.

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 1:07 AM, bolverk said:

1950 Missouri, Tennessee
1954 Kentucky
1956 Texas
1961 Georgia, Texas Tech
1965 Mississippi State

Looked it up. KU was opened for classes in 1866 and the first Black student was admitted in 1876.  Old Big 12 universities not listed:

KU 1876

NU 1890s? First black football player. Probably first admitted around the same time as KU, but could not find it.

ISU 1891

CU 1897 

KSU 1896

Those schools had black athletes in the 1890s and 1900s from what I can tell, but the Big 6/7, when formed, had rules against black students playing until the late 40s/early 50s, I believe mostly due to MU and OU refusing to play against black athletes. OSU joined in 1958, after black athletes were already allowed to compete.

Newer additions to the B12 (not listed earlier):

BYU 1937

WVU 1940

UCF 1958

Edited by Jhawkmvp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

I don’t see how the assault of higher ed in Texas won’t invite inquiries from the AAU and other accrediting agencies:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2024/04/11/dei-tenure-antisemitism-texas-lt-gov-patricks-priorities-for-higher-education/

Patrick released a 15-page document Thursday detailing the interim charges for the Texas Senate to explore in the coming months, which included critical examinations of faculty on college campuses as well as free speech.

One charge is to monitor the state’s ban on diversity, equity and inclusion at public colleges and universities. He wants lawmakers to examine “the progress each institution has made in aligning university policies and procedures with the provisions of Senate Bill 17, ensuring Texas college campuses foster equal opportunity and reward individual merit and achievement.”

This announcement comes weeks after Sen. Brandon Creighton, author of the DEI ban, sent a letter to university leaders reinforcing the expectations and oversight process of the new law aimed at keeping DEI programs out of state schools. Schools could lose millions in state funding if they do not adhere to the ban.

desantis is going to start their own accreditation agency (maga friendly, non woke)

7 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Looked it up. KU was opened for classes in 1866 and the first Black student was admitted in 1876.  Old Big 12 universities not listed:

KU 1876

NU 1890s? First black football player. Probably first admitted around the same time as KU, but could not find it.

ISU 1891

CU 1897 

KSU 1896

Those schools had black athletes in the 1890s and 1900s from what I can tell, but the Big 6/7, when formed, had rules against black students playing until the late 40s/early 50s, I believe mostly due to MU and OU refusing to play against black athletes. OSU joined in 1958, after black athletes were already allowed to compete.

Newer additions to the B12 (not listed earlier):

BYU 1937

WVU 1940

UCF 1958

Other than Mizzou, I didn't even bother to look up the old Big 12 North schools because, well, you know...

The only two that surprise me from your research are BYU and UCF. The former because of the LDS church's historical racism, and the latter because it didn't open its doors to any students until 1968. I'm assuming you must've made a typo on that one.

Regardless, thanks for doing the legwork.

• Hook 'Em 1

BYU had a student in the 30s it recently came to light, but it was like the 1960s before they admitted black students more broadly and it is probably a better date, but they did admit someone in the late 30s. The UCF was a mistake I put UF's date by mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

Et tu, SBUX?

Starbucks recently said that it will no longer tie executive pay to DE&I goals and instead executive bonuses will be based on ESG goals. It’s a move that one lawyer believes will become more common amid backlash against diversity initiatives.

https://www.hr-brew.com/stories/2024/04/05/starbucks-removes-de-and-i-requirements-from-executive-pay-structure

I’ve been emailing and texting friends across the country who work in higher ed about the UT thing. They are pissed at UT and wondering why an institution like ours would do such a thing. 

I keep telling them UT is following the orders of the state. It’s not us, it’s the state. 

This has really put a black eye (no pun) on The University. 

• Rage+1 4

On 4/9/2024 at 10:59 AM, CooterBrown said:

I agree, all sports teams from universities in Texas should be majority white, because fairness. OU is close enough also, them too.

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

How long before a white player files a lawsuit, paid by Elon Musk, suing a D1 coach over reduced playing time?

I have no doubt that Liberty University has the means to make such a lawsuit disappear.

I do wonder when things like Black History Month will be banned in Texas public schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have no doubt that Liberty University has the means to make such a lawsuit disappear.

I do wonder when things like Black History Month will be banned in Texas public schools.

It will be replaced with We Don’t See Black History Month.