2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:
25 minutes ago, Js1 said:
Sounds like Staes is no longer a possibility. Probably between Yurosek and Niblack

States is staying out at the other UT as classes have started/about to start per Bobby this am.

We waited too long to circle back. Sanders took his sweet time making a decision. Which was his prerogative 

39 minutes ago, onsager said:

Yurosek is fantastic - I've watched him play the past ~2 years. He has been held back by poor QB play at Stanford but with Quinn I think the sky's the limit. I'll be really happy if we can get him, assuming we can't get Staes from Tennessee.

We would much rather have either of these 2 over Staes, I’m not sure what the obsession is with him. ND mods said he would have been 3rd on the depth chart if he stayed, give me the guys that aren’t JAGs. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Put me in the camp that thinks Texas will be no where near the top of the lists. Here is who I see in front of us for each team unless we are number one.

Alabama Crimson Tide - Auburn, LSU and Tennessee
Arkansas Razorbacks - Texas!
Auburn Tigers - Alabama, Georgia, LSU
Florida Gators - Georgia, LSU and Alabama
Georgia Bulldogs - Florida, Tennessee, Auburn
Kentucky Wildcats - Who knows and who cares
LSU Tigers - Alabama, Ole Miss maybe Texas in the future
Mississippi State Bulldogs - Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss
Missouri Tigers - Oklahoma
Ole Miss Rebels - LSU, MSt
South Carolina Gamecocks - Who knows and who cares
Tennessee Volunteers - Florida, Alabama even Georgia before us
Texas A&M Aggies - TEXAS!!!!, they pretend to not like LSU
Vanderbilt Commodores - Who knows and who cares

Now that I thought about it more your post may be worthy of message board genius.

I think this is kind of pointless because at some point giving a shit about an opponent saturates at 100%.

Yes, we are almost always at 100% give-a-shit against OU, but did we give less of a shit playing Bama the last two years, or even playing LSU in 2019?

Texas when good will get a 100% give a shit at every SEC opponent that has fans I think (e.g. not Vandy) The main difference compared to the Big 12 is 1.) In that conference we were the super bowl for everyone even in years that we completely sucked and 2.) Our fans will actually get up for a few of these opponents as well. It was hard to get up for anyone other than OU (and in the old days, Nebraska) in the Big 12.

Edited by whereiend
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I was mostly joking with that post, but reminded me about something. 

It is strange to me that everyone assumes we won't have a target on our back in the SEC like we did in the Big 12. I'm not sure I can get on board with that notion. I lived for a big part of my life in the southeast. Those people fucking hate Texas (the state) and Texans. More than A&M ever could, we represent the state of Texas and those fans will absolutely be out for blood. That is on top of not wanting the embarrassment of losing to one of the new teams from the inferior Big 12. We will 100% still be a jihad game for almost every SEC program we play. Tennessee won't hate us like they hate Bama, nor will Georgia hate us the way they hate Florida. But they will still hate us. 

And that's a good thing. Fuck those schools and those fans. We're Texas. But don't think for a second that they won't play their best game against us. 

president dawn GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Uhh.. definitely want this fucking gazelle. Jesus.

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Dude can run, me likey.

28 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

J'Tavionesque

i can't see how this guy is anyone but a must have.

Sark is clearly trying to set up a version of that offense he had Alabama. QB who can make accurate throws with 3 or 4 dudes on the field at all times that can run in the 4.4s. 

Wonder how his preferred replacement formations will be if we don't get a receiving TE replacement. Will he still stick to a lot of 11 personnel? Or get a little crazy with 10 or even 20 personnel sets? 

A fully spread out or bunch formation of Golden, Bolden, Bond, Wingo, and Blue would have ridiculous speed on the field. Then could sub Wisner and Cook in and still have a ton of speed. It's getting to the point there's no way to use all that speed enough. The offense is going to look very different next season, and if the line and Ewers take a next step up it'll be eating SEC defenses up similar to how Sark did the last time he was in the conference. 

4 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Hell even Mississippi State thinks we are not ready for the SEC and they will treat us as a very winnable game instead of a super bowl. Kentucky may do the same if we come in with a few losses.

You’re confusing fans with coaches/players

1 hour ago, whereiend said:

I think this is kind of pointless because at some point giving a shit about an opponent saturates at 100%.

Yes, we are almost always at 100% give-a-shit against OU, but did we give less of a shit playing Bama the last two years, or even playing LSU in 2019?

Texas when good will get a 100% give a shit at every SEC opponent that has fans I think (e.g. not Vandy) The main difference compared to the Big 12 is 1.) In that conference we were the super bowl for everyone even in years that we completely sucked and 2.) Our fans will actually get up for a few of these opponents as well. It was hard to get up for anyone other than OU (and in the old days, Nebraska) in the Big 12.

Yes - this is well put and closer to the point I was trying to convey. It's not that these teams will hate us more than anyone else, but they will hate us. They will all be just as motivated as OSU, ISU, or KSU ever were. 

Sark is clearly trying to set up a version of that offense he had Alabama. QB who can make accurate throws with 3 or 4 dudes on the field at all times that can run in the 4.4s. 
Wonder how his preferred replacement formations will be if we don't get a receiving TE replacement. Will he still stick to a lot of 11 personnel? Or get a little crazy with 10 or even 20 personnel sets? 
A fully spread out or bunch formation of Golden, Bolden, Bond, Wingo, and Blue would have ridiculous speed on the field. Then could sub Wisner and Cook in and still have a ton of speed. It's getting to the point there's no way to use all that speed enough. The offense is going to look very different next season, and if the line and Ewers take a next step up it'll be eating SEC defenses up similar to how Sark did the last time he was in the conference. 
Lulz, Wingo aint starting over Cook.
  • Hook 'Em 8

4 minutes ago, CaseMcCoyTruther said:

Bobby Burton retweeted??

Can’t see why we wouldn’t pursue with the alleged Jabbar Muhammad concerns.

Just now, Js1 said:

Only played in 2 games in 2023. #17 player in his class

He reclassified from 2024 a couple months before enrolling in January ‘23, so makes a bit more sense why he wouldn’t see the field. Although the 247 comparison to Tony Grimes doesn’t excite me too much.

2 minutes ago, Strat said:

Kool Aid and Arnold started in front of him. Both should be 1st round picks. If any team, I would certainly be open to Bamas CB backups. 

Terrion Arnold was a dogshit player. I cannot for the life of me understand how he is viewed as a high draft pick other than the fact that he played for Saban and started. Ricks now being able to start in front of him, when he was bought to do so, is not a good thing on Ricks’ end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Terrion Arnold was a dogshit player. I cannot for the life of me understand how he is viewed as a high draft pick other than the fact that he played for Saban and started. Ricks now being able to start in front of him, when he was bought to do so, is not a good thing on Ricks’ end. 

Bingo - Arnold is overrated as fuck - will never understand supposed draft experts - just play for saban and get drafted I guess 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't disagree, it does seem like a Saban-esque bump. I was surprised when he was 1st team all american.  Maybe he has some elite attributes, speed ? Either way, Saban liked him and so do analysts. 

I would prefer getting elite CB athletes and letting the coaches figure it out. We do need more talent at that position 

While I am enjoying  Alabama being torn apart like lions over a zebra kill, I wonder if Bama Beat has a point. If a head coach leaves the program, then certainly it is fair for the players to portal for 30 days. Would it also be fair to allow the school that the coach is departing from to participate in the portal for 30 days after a new coach is named?

• Fuck You 1

You guys are off base, Terrion Arnold is really really good. He'll have a brain fart here and there, but he's really good in man coverage and great in run support. It is so rare for guys who can cover like him to be a plus in tackling on the edge. He can improve in zone, but most Saban guys don't really major in that.

Even with the penalties, he's worth the pick.

5 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

While I am enjoying  Alabama being torn apart like lions over a zebra kill, I wonder if Bama Beat has a point. If a head coach leaves the program, then certainly it is fair for the players to portal for 30 days. Would it also be fair to allow the school that the coach is departing from to participate in the portal for 30 days after a new coach is named?

Yes, I am quoiting myself. Maybe I am not understanding this. Does Bama at this time have the ability to take players from the Portal?

6 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

No. Saban did this. He retired when he did.  Had he retired at the end of the regular season this could have avoided. Instead he chose to not be a distraction. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

Yes, I am quoiting myself. Maybe I am not understanding this. Does Bama at this time have the ability to take players from the Portal?

Yes. Problem is most of the Alabama-level talent that entered during the open period has already decided/enrolled. I’d be shocked if they didn’t bring in a few guys from UW at least.

You're thinking of a different guy. Eli Ricks is the guy Bama got from LSU. Desmond (Dezz) Ricks is Eli's younger brother who was a true freshman in 2023. He reclassified from the 2024 class a month before signing day.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

Yes. 

Every team can take players from the portal at any time. The only 'deadline' really would be the end of January which is the final point when kids can enroll in classes (so you need them on campus and enrolled by then if you want them to participate for the Spring). 

Bama could go out right now and the raid the roster of Washington or Arizona if they wanted. They can also still add players who were in the portal before it closed and have yet to find other landing spots. Losing their coach after the portal closed does hurt their ability to find replacements and it might end up decimating Arizona if their top kids follow Fisch to Washington but that is just unavoidable. There is also the Spring window (opens April ~15th) so its not like these schools making late coaching changes do not still have plenty of opportunities to fill holes that are created by the transition. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.