2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

16 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I don't see how they can. I am going to vote in the republican primary for any other republican so tRump can be primaried. There will be NO second term. We ALL need to primary the fucker.

Worked great with Cruz, Abbott and Patrick, right? 

• Like 1

He had a rather bipartisan record, but of course facts mean jackshit to the hard left and hard right.  

His work on Armed Services and Veterans Affairs is interesting.  As with so many members, he has no connection to the military but his district of course is near Fort Bliss.  He fancies himself a progressive, and certainly qualifies on issues like immigration, Dreamers, and hispanic civic engagement.  But there's really just not much else out there in terms of record that backs up "Progressive" or even "left-leaning Democrat."  Those are huge issues to be sure, but his donor list and committee service read like a big business/big defense stooge.  Nothing wrong with that, most of them are.  His rhetoric, now that rings electric with the Democrat base.  But sooner or later, somebody is gonna google his record.  It's not a liability, just as it wasn't with Obama.  But it's nowhere near the track record of somebody like Biden or Sanders.  Not just because of their ages, but because those guys starting stirring shit up from the time they got off the bus.  

A prominent Congressman from Texas apparently has a serious lead balloon regarding O'Rourke and his in-laws finances.  Not enough to deter him from running though, but would certainly hurt given this other Congressman's connection to the military. 

What I think really hurts O'Rourke are twofold:  America realizes it's not really electing its first Hispanic president.  And no fucking way Pelosi forgets what O'Rourke said about her leadership and her needing to term out.  She'll bring the DNC hammer down on his ass for that.  And even he does win the nomination, he'll limp to the general under her thumb.  What the fuck about Pelosi's behavior in the last 2 months makes some of you think she's forgiving?  

I’ve posted several times the study 538 performed showing that, in view of the political leaning of his district, he’s actually been one of the most pro-Trump Dems in the House. For some reason that information tends to be quickly forgotten here. 

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I’ve posted several times the study 538 performed showing that, in view of the political leaning of his district, he’s actually been one of the most pro-Trump Dems in the House. For some reason that information tends to be quickly forgotten here. 

What percentage of his votes were in line with the White House?

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't "forget it" so much as I ignored it, because it's a red herring. 

Fozz is David Sirota?
Let's just pick a couples example.

Apparently Beto voted for the American Innovation Act, which would allow startups to deduct more startup expenses. Apparently this is the MOST Trump-friendly vote he cast.
ALso voted for "Right to Try", his second most - which would allow terminal patients to take unapproved treatments.

His third most - A Defense appropriations bill that has gone back and forth a number of times and was initially sponsored by Adam Schiff.  

OMG HES JUST LIKE TRUMP!!!11!!!

Tell me more, Fozz

• Like 4

I never said he’s just like Trump. I said that he is one of the most pro-Trump Dems in the House, which is clear from his voting record and how you would anticipate a generic Dem to vote given his district. That’s not really even an opinion, just a fact. 

He’s a member of the New Dem Coalition. We know who this guy is and how he would likely govern. I like him as a potential Senator, but not as a Presidential nominee. We can do a whole lot better than Beto. 

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

I never said he’s just like Trump. I said that he is one of the most pro-Trump Dems in the House, which is clear from his voting record and how you would anticipate a generic Dem to vote given his district. That’s not really even an opinion, just a fact. 

He’s a member of the New Dem Coalition. We know who this guy is and how he would likely govern. I like him as a potential Senator, but not as a Presidential nominee. We can do a whole lot better than Beto. 

Probably.

Who is better?

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Like those positions have any chance of being held by the Democratic nominee. If Beto is the nominee, his position on both of these issues will change.

lol we’ll see about that. It seems like Biden has as good of chance as anyone and he’s clearly not going to support Medicare for all. 

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

lol we’ll see about that. It seems like Biden has as good of chance as anyone and he’s clearly not going to support Medicare for all. 

If he doesn't, he won't be the nominee.

The Democratic nominee will have to support Medicare for All if they want the nomination. They won't win primaries otherwise.

Is voting to water down the Volcker rule progressive?  Is failing to support Medicare for all progressive? 

Interesting. I happen to know a bit about both of these issues.

So - a couple of questions:

1) How, precisely, does is increase of the Volker Rule asset threshold relevant the degree to which Beto is either “pro-Trump” or “progressive”?

2) I don’t personally think that Medicare for All is very progressive or the best way to provide universal healthcare. But, Beto O’Rourke supports Medicare for all. He didn’t co-sponsor HR 676 as written because unlike real Medicare it did not provide for reimbursement of private providers.

So my question to you is how a Medicare for All scheme that excludes the existing care delivery network even a little progressive?

In short, your troll game is weak.

• Like 1

First off, I am OK with being super progressive, except when purity ends up electing either a Bush or a Trump. Nader and Sanders respectively. 

Most far lefties, are about as dumb big picture as the Trump's most fervent supporters.  In 2016 Bernie was so sure that Hillary was gonna win he thought he was negotiating with the President when he held back his followers by not endorsing Clinton, and then failing to meaningfully support her nomination out of imaginary purity. So the dim wit purist liberals were as much responsible for Trump, as Russia and Comey.  

What is going to happen in 2020 is that you are going to have Beto, and two other contenders. that's my early prediction.  The primary reason. Beto is a "white" Hispanic.  Race means nearly nothing to me personally but there are a shit ton of white people who profess that they are not racist, but in the end, they vote for somebody that looks like them.  So Beto will "look" the part. His physical appearance will allow him to speak to the white working class, and they will not be threatened by potential 'brownness.'

I am an observer, but I could see a Beto/Biden ticket rolling the midwest, and acheiving a blowout victory for the Dems.  Trump will be a non-factor in 2020 beyond voters laughing and shooting the finger at Trump supporters. And Republican's pretending that "well I was independent" as a wave like none of us have ever seen in our lifetimes sweep Democrats. I will say that visually Beto needs to only talk with some much "hand emphasis" except when he is actually trying to make a salient point.  But hell,  most voters wouldn't even understand my criticism, in all honesty.  I think that Biden/Beto or Beto/Biden would be a very difficult ticket for the GOP to counter. 

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

First off, I am OK with being super progressive, except when purity ends up electing either a Bush or a Trump. Nader and Sanders respectively. 

Most far lefties, are about as dumb big picture as the Trump's most fervent supporters.  In 2016 Bernie was so sure that Hillary was gonna win he thought he was negotiating with the President when he held back his followers by not endorsing Clinton, and then failing to meaningfully support her nomination out of imaginary purity. So the dim wit purist liberals were as much responsible for Trump, as Russia and Comey.  

What is going to happen in 2020 is that you are going to have Beto, and two other contenders. that's my early prediction.  The primary reason. Beto is a "white" Hispanic.  Race means nearly nothing to me personally but there are a shit ton of white people who profess that they are not racist, but in the end, they vote for somebody that looks like them.  So Beto will "look" the part. His physical appearance will allow him to speak to the white working class, and they will not be threatened by potential 'brownness.'

I am an observer, but I could see a Beto/Biden ticket rolling the midwest, and acheiving a blowout victory for the Dems.  Trump will be a non-factor in 2020 beyond voters laughing and shooting the finger at Trump supporters. And Republican's pretending that "well I was independent" as a wave like none of us have ever seen in our lifetimes sweep Democrats. I will say that visually Beto needs to only talk with some much "hand emphasis" except when he is actually trying to make a salient point.  But hell,  most voters wouldn't even understand my criticism, in all honesty.  I think that Biden/Beto or Beto/Biden would be a very difficult ticket for the GOP to counter. 

Pissed off progressives who won't vote for a Democratic nominee because they aren't pure enough are too stupid (politically) for words.

• Like 3

Goddammit - Beto is white.  Not white Hispanic.  Just white.  From a part of Texas that is very Tex-Mex even relative to the rest of Texas.

It won't be Bernie, and I think Nate Silver above is correct on the reasons why.

I like Beto a lot.  I think he could potentially be a really great leader for the country as, God willing, we heal from the destructiveness of the current regime.  I don't think it's a sure bet - he's pretty green for the highest office.  But we'll see as the campaign plays out.

This is going to be interesting.  I hope we don't fuck it up.

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

In Michigan and Wisconsin nearly 50,000 voters voted for Bernie in the primary and Trump in the general and it was nearly 115,000 in Pennsylvania. Bernie supporters gave us president Trump, which is unforgivable.

Yeah, but The Donald gave us Madam Speaker. If Hillary had won, we'd have two houses of Congress with huge Republican majorities and a Senate that wouldn't confirm any Supreme Court justices that weren't acceptable to Mitch McConnel. He'd Merrick Garland anyone perceived as too liberal.

Donald Trump may wind up being a necessary evil that cripples the Republican Party for a generation.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, but The Donald gave us Madam Speaker. If Hillary had won, we'd have two houses of Congress with huge Republican majorities and a Senate that wouldn't confirm any Supreme Court justices that weren't acceptable to Mitch McConnel. He'd Merrick Garland anyone perceived as too liberal.

Donald Trump may wind up being a necessary evil that cripples the Republican Party for a generation.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

The republicans lied their way into war with Iraq and cratered the economy and lost the house for all of 4 years and were only completely out of power in the Senate for just 4 months at the end of 2009. So I won't hold my breath on this "generation" bit.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Dvha5YaVYAArHlG.jpg

^^ lol

regarding potential for Bernie 2020, recall this rule change from last summer that will severely limit outsiders surfing on others' turf.

"The Democratic National Committee (DNC) adopted a new rule on Friday aimed at keeping outsider candidates like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) from trying to clinch the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020.

The new rule, adopted by the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee, requires all Democratic presidential candidates to be a member of the Democratic Party, Yahoo News reported. 

A presidential candidate running for the Democratic nomination must be a member of the party, accept the Democratic nomination and “run and serve” as a member.

[...]

“At the time a presidential candidate announces their candidacy publicly, they must publicly affirm that they are a Democrat,” the rule says.

In March, the DNC voted to acknowledge a need to reduce the influence of so-called superdelegates in presidential primaries — the unelected delegates who may support any candidate for the party’s nomination, regardless of their state's victor."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If Bernie wants to talk about voting records, he should explain why he and Rand Paul agreed on not sanctioning Russia for attacking the United States and installing a fucking moron as president.

You sure that was Bernie's fault?  For a candidate that took on the Big Banks and stood up to Wall Street, his opponent had a quite curious donor roster.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

You sure that was Bernie's fault?  For a candidate that took on the Big Banks and stood up to Wall Street, his opponent had a quite curious donor roster.  

It was Bernie’s fault he didn’t vote for the sanctions.

It was Bernie’s fault he knew Russia was attacking the election and CHOSE to remain silent on it.  

I don’t really give a shit about his platform or his opponent’s issues after that.