2018 World Cup

DanTheHorn

England is rolling through but they aren't really creating a bunch of chances from open play. They'll be favored again, but if they don't start creating chances organically then eventually they will either bow out vs an inferior team or get blown out by a better team.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

England is rolling through but they aren't really creating a bunch of chances from open play. They'll be favored again, but if they don't start creating chances organically then eventually they will either bow out vs an inferior team or get blown out by a better team.

lol-gif-7.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

have you watched any of the matches? they are creating plenty but not finishing. i know you think they'd be loads better with wilshere out there but you'd be wrong.

How many saves did Ospina make today? One? He was never even tested really. Rose rolling the ball by was the best chance that I recall.

edit: England had two shots on goal in 120 minutes.

Edited by Goo Punch

Two shots on goal today, one shot on goal vs Belgium. That's not creating chances. That's three shots on goal in 29 attempts vs the two living, breathing teams they've played. You don't miss the entire goal 26 times because of poor finishing, you do that because you aren't getting any good looks.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Two shots on goal today, one shot on goal vs Belgium. That's not creating chances. That's three shots on goal in 29 attempts vs the two living, breathing teams they've played. You don't miss the entire goal 26 times because of poor finishing, you do that because you aren't getting any good looks.

ok-mate.jpg

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Just because England won doesn’t change what Derka said, at least in the last two games England played. They struggled for chances against both Belgium and Croatia. I’m not really sure what the debate is.

Are you not familiar with the derka-shaggy relationship? Derka posts something. People  contradict it hoping to get derka to go off. Sometimes derka goes off. It’s a whole deal.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

England played the B team against Belgium where nobody tried to play and then Colombia played complete anti-football full of fouls and whining. They were a disgrace. Difficult to create anything when the other team goes full Mourinho.

13 hours ago, JNip said:

Losing out from the World Cup really does hurt less when you are in Santorini. 

I had an frumpy pensionne (sp?) lady beat me with a broom and then her husband hunted me down at the Perissa Beach town crossroads to try to hit me and get me to pay 500 Drachmas for a broken glass ashtray that they purposely put under a pillow on a nightstand so that when I grabbed the pillow, the ashtray would fall and break. 

I couldn’t get away from the husband because I was wearing about 35 to 40 lbs of backpacks, so the husband kicked me in the ass twice and the third attempt I grabbed his foot, so he smacked the back of my head. 

It was only when he swung at me again and his watch flew off of his wrist and exploded upon impact with the paved road that I agreed to pay the 500 Drachmas. 

Santorini kind of sucks ass. 

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Just because England won doesn’t change what Derka said, at least in the last two games England played. They struggled for chances against both Belgium and Croatia. I’m not really sure what the debate is.

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

England played the B team against Belgium where nobody tried to play and then Colombia played complete anti-football full of fouls and whining. They were a disgrace. Difficult to create anything when the other team goes full Mourinho.

The point on the B team against Belgium is spot on. 

Colombia didn't Mourinho. At least parking the bus is understandable. Colombia was out to make that an ugly, defensive and physical game and did. 

As far as not creating chance, I would disagree. First shots on goal aren't the only metric. 3 attempts can be viewed as few chances, but England has taken 29 attempts over the same 2 games. Yes many were blocked (10) or off target (16), but they are getting chances.

Others have knocked them for only 2 goals from open play. But they've also scored 4 goals from set pieces. Which brings us to England's 24 corners through the tournament, 14 in the last two games. Those aren't accidental, those are from advancing the ball against a defense. Ditto 3 penalties.

Ultimately, it depends on what you are choosing for a metric.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Colombia didn't Mourinho. At least parking the bus is understandable. Colombia was out to make that an ugly, defensive and physical game and did. 

As far as not creating chance, I would disagree. First shots on goal aren't the only metric. 3 attempts can be viewed as few chances, but England has taken 29 attempts over the same 2 games. Yes many were blocked (10) or off target (16), but they are getting chances.

Others have knocked them for only 2 goals from open play. But they've also scored 4 goals from set pieces. Which brings us to England's 24 corners through the tournament, 14 in the last two games. Those aren't accidental, those are from advancing the ball against a defense. Ditto 3 penalties.

honestly i'm not even sure why it matters if they're creating chances or not, regardless of the metric used to determine it. derka didn't want them to score a single goal in this tourney anyway. 

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

honestly i'm not even sure why it matters if they're creating chances or not, regardless of the metric used to determine it. derka didn't want them to score a single goal in this tourney anyway. 

who are you? and what is your deal? you do realize that only one of us has acted like a petulant child during every single step of this conversation, right? you bring up wilshere (twice), you respond with gifs and memes instead of anything substantive, and now you're over here whining about something that you've completely fabricated on your own. and yet you won't stop whining about me. you know it's bad when i clearly have more self awareness and composure than you do.

39 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

You’re not sure why it matters if a soccer team is creating chances? 

What the fuck are you talking about?

56 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Good points here. I just think against he elite clubs that generally defend better against set pieces, you have to be able to create goals from open play. I don’t see England being capable of that.

Edited by hobbes2702

compare the two england games vs Belgium and Colombia to Mexico's two games vs Germany and Brazil. Brazil had 10 shots on goal and Germany had nine. Ochoa was making saves left and right as Germany and Brazil enjoyed plenty of good looks on goal; England has looked nothing like that in its last two games. There's been a total lack of good looks on goal; no plethora or forward, connecting runs and passes leading to shots. It's been all set pieces and penalties.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Good points here. I just think against he elite clubs that generally defend better against set pieces, you have to be able to create goals from open play. I don’t see England being capable of that.

In today's (yesterday's) match vs Colombia, England players tended to have really slow wind-ups to shoot and/or seemed determined to shoot when they wanted to whether a Colombian player was in the way or not. Now, I think that that's better than not shooting at all - the Sweden vs Switzerland match showed that good things can happen even when minimally challenging shots on goal are taken - but England didn't seem to play quick give-and-go's to get players in space to take clear shots, nor did they seem to make runs that would pull defenders to leave open targets for crosses.

Having followed the USMNT fairly closely for nearly 3 decades, I have no problem with goals coming from set pieces. Goals are goals. The fans like pretty goals, but FIFA has decided to count all goals the same, so I think that however you can get a goal, getting the goal is the important thing.

10 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

DOATPJMBZM6ITNT6HANEQIHYVI.jpg

Quarterfinals (All times Eastern)

Friday

Uruguay vs. France in Nizhny Novgorod, 10 a.m.

Brazil vs. Belgium in Kazan, 2 p.m.

Saturday

Sweden vs. England in Samara, 10 a.m.

Russia vs. Croatia in Sochi, 2 p.m.

Will be in London on Saturday. Couldn’t have worked out better

• Like 4

My old flatmate from BA is English, lives in London, and said that when Dier finished off the shootout, he dropped to his knees and wept. (He's ~33 to 34-ish.)

I asked him if his girlfriend* (1/2 Spanish & 1/2 French and 27-ish years-old) watched with him, or if she had fallen asleep during the match like she had during Spain's elimination match.

He responded: "We live two doors away from a pub. Nobody on our street went to bed early."

London should be crazy. Even better if they win.

La novia

Spoiler

Spain_lost.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

who are you? and what is your deal? you do realize that only one of us has acted like a petulant child during every single step of this conversation, right? you bring up wilshere (twice), you respond with gifs and memes instead of anything substantive, and now you're over here whining about something that you've completely fabricated on your own. and yet you won't stop whining about me. you know it's bad when i clearly have more self awareness and composure than you do.

responding with anything more substantive than a meme isn't worth it because you've decided on something in your mind that is objectively not true. that's why i asked if you watched the game instead of looking at a stat sheet. i saw plenty of chances being created from open play that were either a) snuffed out by great recovery plays by colombia's defense or b) not converted due to poor finishing, a poor first touch, etc. 

@Captain Ron provided plenty of salient points of the type you're apparently looking for but it still didn't make a difference. so the only logical conclusion based on your responses here and in the england world cup thread are that you've just got a bone to pick with anything they do because your favorite players aren't in the squad. but hey, thanks for the neg. tell me again who is the petulant child?

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

i dont know man. i apparently need more self-awareness and composure.

• Like 1

My old flatmate from BA is English, lives in London, and said that when Dier finished off the shootout, he dropped to his knees and wept. (He's ~33 to 34-ish.)
I asked him if his girlfriend* (1/2 Spanish & 1/2 French and 27-ish years-old) watched with him, or if she had fallen asleep during the match like she had during Spain's elimination match.
He responded: "We live two doors away from a pub. Nobody on our street went to bed early."
London should be crazy. Even better if they win.

La novia
Spoiler Spain_lost.jpg

Go on...

14 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Maybe. Again, the B-Team vs Belgium and the Colombia game which ...

With Tunisia and Panama as warm-ups, I'm not sure we have see the real England yet.

Sweden might be the first matchup which lets us see what England can do. They might surprise.