NCAA Basketball 2023-24

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Good to see Arkansas is still mired in the 1950s.

Hey come on now, don’t forget Sampson if he did indeed kick Tramon Mark off the team for being gay 

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

That’s why Purdue ends up with a good record worthy of a 1 or 2 seed from B1G play and then they don’t get that type of officiating in the NCAAT

The wheelchair was college students doing dumb shit.  Last night the little kid was the PGs cousin there to watch him play and he just got excited.  We're trash, and will be for the foreseeable future, so might as well have some shenanigans to keep the masses....er....dozens, entertained.

On 1/31/2024 at 11:03 AM, Js1 said:

NTTAWWT

I was listening to Childers talk to Matt McCall about the match-ups this weekend on XM 84 this morning. Eventually, Childers wanders off on a tangent about Arkansas and "bizarre locker room problems" and their season. I'd heard something like that about Arkansas earlier in the week as well. So I checked to see if it is discussed in this thread and your post was all I could find. 

I was assuming they had some gambling shit going on. I was therefore a bit surprised by what's actually being discussed on the Arkansas SEC Rant board.

If I'm understanding things correctly, Devo Davis is gay and has been hooking up with several other players on the team. Brazile, Pinion and Mark are all part of the rumors. Apparently, there's been fallout associated to the relationships and Davis is a known diva in the locker room anyway. So no one is playing well together and now Davis has left the team, again. 

On top of all of that, multiple guys are referencing Musselman as either being involved, which is unbelievable to me, or at least totally aware and okay with it? Who gives a shit about a player's sexual orientation, but I wouldn't want people hooking up on the same team. That's not going to work out well. 

Anyway, the rumors about Musselman trying to find a landing spot after this season are associated, on that board at least, to two things:

1) The Hunts have pulled their money and won't be covering any basketball NIL in the next cycle. Arkansas has been wielding basketball NIL like a flaming sword the past two cycles. You hate to see it.

2) The locker room relationship drama is impacting recruiting and transfer interest. 

I can't tell what is or isn't true in any of this, but some of the longer tenured posters over there that actually seem to not be hillbillies are being pretty matter of fact about all of this. 

Maybe @Don Johnson can offer some color or dismissal on some of this. Bizarre is a good word choice from the XM guys. I didn't have "gay love triangle destroyed team chemistry" on my CBB bingo card this year. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I was listening to Childers talk to Matt McCall about the match-ups this weekend on XM 84 this morning. Eventually, Childers wanders off on a tangent about Arkansas and "bizarre locker room problems" and their season. I'd heard something like that about Arkansas earlier in the week as well. So I checked to see if it is discussed in this thread and your post was all I could find. 

I was assuming they had some gambling shit going on. I was therefore a bit surprised by what's actually being discussed on the Arkansas SEC Rant board.

If I'm understanding things correctly, Devo Davis is gay and has been hooking up with several other players on the team. Brazile, Pinion and Mark are all part of the rumors. Apparently, there's been fallout associated to the relationships and Davis is a known diva in the locker room anyway. So no one is playing well together and now Davis has left the team, again. 

On top of all of that, multiple guys are referencing Musselman as either being involved, which is unbelievable to me, or at least totally aware and okay with it? Who gives a shit about a player's sexual orientation, but I wouldn't want people hooking up on the same team. That's not going to work out well. 

Anyway, the rumors about Musselman trying to find a landing spot after this season are associated, on that board at least, to two things:

1) The Hunts have pulled their money and won't be covering any basketball NIL in the next cycle. Arkansas has been wielding basketball NIL like a flaming sword the past two cycles. You hate to see it.

2) The locker room relationship drama is impacting recruiting and transfer interest. 

I can't tell what is or isn't true in any of this, but some of the longer tenured posters over there that actually seem to not be hillbillies are being pretty matter of fact about all of this. 

Maybe @Don Johnson can offer some color or dismissal on some of this. Bizarre is a good word choice from the XM guys. I didn't have "gay love triangle destroyed team chemistry" on my CBB bingo card this year. 

Haha, where to begin....

1.  Gay Love Triangle.  Obviously, I'm not in these guys' bedroom or know everything about their personal life, but I'm 99.9% sure the gay love triangle is social media "fun."  A Mizzou fan started it.  Devo has always painted his nails so that's why he was involved.  Trevon Brazile transferred to Arkansas from Mizzou, so you can see why he was the target.  Jalen Graham and Traman Mark?  Collateral damage, I guess.  Most Arkansas message boards haven't really allowed posts on it, as no one with actual knowledge believes it, but some fans have the attitude "probably not true, but something sure as hell messed this season up, lol."

At least Brazile and Graham have had a little fun with it - see pics below posted after beating.....Mizzou.  

2.  This season.  Live by the portal, die by the portal.  This season was the first where Muss ended up with the worst case scenario you can get from the portal.  A bunch of guys who entered the portal for all the wrong reasons, problems with the coach, problems with their roles, wanted more $$ and so on.  It's not a likeable group of guys and you can tell the effort simply isn't there consistently.  He also brought back two guys who were pretty big character problems last year in Mitchell and Graham.  IMO, he got overly confident in his abilities to mesh a team together over the course of the season.  He can't just take any 7 guys, regardless of skill set, position and character makeup and meld them together into a team.  But I think he believed he could.

3.  NIL.  There have been a lot of rumors of a rift between the Hunts (who are the largest supporters of basketball NIL) and Muss.  The story I believe to be true is that the players who are supported by the NIL are not showing up for agreed upon appearances.  Unlike many collectives, where players' NIL is used for profit based business, the Hunt's collective (AAC) is charity and community service related and players are expected to lend their NIL to these events, make appearances, etc.  Something the Hunts very much believe in.  This may have lead to some players not getting paid, which potentially could lead to some players not putting out effort or even quitting.  Devo left the program at one point last year, which I believe was NIL related.  And he's stepped away from team again this season.

4.  Muss leaving.  I do believe he wants the Louisville job.  I personally love Muss and hope he stays, but I do think he wears on people and runs its course over a few years.  His assistant turnover has always been very high.   I don't think he would want out bad enough to go to Arizona State or Minnesota as has been rumored, as those would be huge steps down in prestige, pay and NIL; but Louisville is a top 10-15 job with a hungry fanbase eager to win and Muss can step in there and flip the roster fast.  If he doesn't get the Louisville job, not sure what will happen.

2, 3 and 4 are all obviously related and intertwined.  Chicken, egg....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Hal Mumme thinks this defense sucks. 

it really is crazy how tennessee has just been able to abuse uk on OOB plays. in the half court tennessee is relying on offensive rebounds, but every time the ball goes out off kentucky it’s like free points for tennessee on the ensuing inbound.

11 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

What in the world has happened to UCLA? I really thought Cronin would be successful there. I turned to the Oregon v UCLA game and I see the Bruins are 10-11, 5-5. Not good

Final Four in 2021 followed by back-to-back Sweet Sixteens and a conference championship last year. Yeah, the dude sucks.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

What in the world has happened to UCLA? I really thought Cronin would be successful there. I turned to the Oregon v UCLA game and I see the Bruins are 10-11, 5-5. Not good

They have 1 upperclassmen in their rotation and 3 on their roster. They were 19-12 in the year before the FF and back-to-back SS teams lead by Jaquez, Campbell, Benard, and Juzang (transfer). I imagine they will be better next year.

We might look the same next year with Weaver, Johnson, Johnson, Pryor, Scott, and Codie.  really need Mitchell, Shedrick, and Onyema to return and go get another portal wing.

Edited by HtownHorn