Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

It's been a busy day at work so haven't been able to comment so I'm sure everything has already been said. So I'm just going to adopt Brisket's position that the country is well and properly fucked. It goes way beyond Roe v Wade. We will have a 6-3 conservative court (if not more lopsided considering the age of the liberal justices) that will impact the country for the next 20 or 30 years. 

8 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The Supreme Court isn't about social progress.  It's about constitutionality.   There is no social progress branch of the federal government.  The more idiocy I read on this forum the more convinced I am that the biggest problem facing America today is the lack of quality high school civics class teachers.

Thank you for taking time away from the Constitutional Law classes I am sure you teach at a prestigious Ivy League school to come here an enlighten us. The Supreme Court is about constitutionality. Brilliant. 

And then here I was, about to start talking about the social progress branch of the federal government, because I was sure that it existed and would weigh in on all these issues, but no, I'm wrong, it doesn't even exist! My high school civics teachers completely failed me. I didn't even know the Supreme Court was about constitutionality! 

• Like 6

This is what happens when the Democratic voters dick around and vote for Ralph Nader in Florida and Jill Stein in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.  Elections matter if they weren't dicking around, we wouldn't be here right now.

Elections matter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

So you have faith that Roberts will preserve Roe and progeny?  Bc they're gone otherwise.

They will not be gone due to anything the SC does.   If Roe vs Wade is struck down that will just mean that individual states will get to make their own legislation regarding abortion.  The 10th Amendment out front should have told you.

21 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The Supreme Court isn't about social progress.  It's about constitutionality.   There is no social progress branch of the federal government.  The more idiocy I read on this forum the more convinced I am that the biggest problem facing America today is the lack of quality high school civics class teachers.

It's about both. The first line doesn't reference a perfect union. It's a more perfect union. An ideal to strive for while acknowledging perfect is unattainable. It's about moving forward, being better. Don't see how the recent Texas gerrymandering decision satisfies either one of those.

And for whoever was knitting the pink pussy hats, I have a rather large melon.  

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Merrick Garland is a good judge.

It would be tempting to nominate him just to watch the Democrats in the Senate twist their heads like Linda Blair.  You have a block of politicians who would rather vote for typhoid than for anything suggested by Trump but in order to hold that position they would have to reject the same person they championed for the same post two years ago and at worst he would be the fourth most liberal judge on the bench.  I don't think I would do it now but if Ginsberg hits the eject button...

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

It would be tempting to nominate him just to watch the Democrats in the Senate twist their heads like Linda Blair. 

It would also be fascinating to see Trump nominate Hillary.  Do you just throw out utterly inane points for shits and grins?

22 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Come on now you're just trolling.

The Republicans are further to the left now than they have ever been.  The problem is that while the Republicans have moved ten miles further to the left the Democrats have moved fifty miles to the left.  And since the left can not see they are moving further to the left from their perspective the Republicans have moved forty miles to the right.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The Republicans are further to the left now than they have ever been.  The problem is that while the Republicans have moved ten miles further to the left the Democrats have moved fifty miles to the left.  And since the left can not see they are moving further to the left from their perspective the Republicans have moved forty miles to the right.

If a train leaves Chicago at 8:34 PM, headed east at 67 mph, and another train leaves Providence 10 minutes later, travelling west at 72 mph, at what point does the train from Chicago end up in Lake Michigan, and why is it your fault?

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Spoiler alert: it won’t be Kavanaugh.

Trump is going to exploit this nomination process as much as possible.  He will make it a public relations reality tv event just like he did with gorsuch.

It’s the only thing he’s good at.  Optics and media manipulation 

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Just.....

Lmao. One of Trump’s judge picks wouldn’t come out in support of Brown v Board.  But they’ve clearly moved left. 

Edited by Fozzz

2 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

In what way?

thanks

Undermining civil rights for blacks/Hispanics when it comes toward progress made for racial justic and equality, RvW for women and women’s rights becoming undone, having the rights of LGBTQ rolled back, Evangelical organizations (such as Family research council) is already advocating “going back to God’s design on marriage” per it’s leader bob vander platts who called today a “historic day”

This is what your party (republicans/conservatives) want.  THis is what they do.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The good news is that single-issue anti-abortion voters like WUlaw are now free.   You've got your Supreme Court abortion majority and can now vote based on other issues.   Either Roe will fall now or it never will; either way, you can now vote Dem to stop Trump and his awful policies like child prisons while keeping your conscience clear on abortion. 

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The good news is that single-issue anti-abortion voters like WUlaw are now free.   You've got your Supreme Court abortion majority and can now vote based on other issues.   Either Roe will fall now or it never will; either way, you can now vote Dem to stop Trump and his awful policies like child prisons while keeping your conscience clear on abortion. 

That’s fucking hilarious.

Edited by VRHorn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

LOL.  You believed WULaw.

infant-time-out-prisoner-costume.jpg

The good news is that single-issue anti-abortion voters like WUlaw are now free.   You've got your Supreme Court abortion majority and can now vote based on other issues.   Either Roe will fall now or it never will; either way, you can now vote Dem to stop Trump and his awful policies like child prisons while keeping your conscience clear on abortion. 

Edited by EuroHorn

12 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

As I said on the old site, administrations come and go including their policies.  Supreme Court justice appointments last decades. Trump may get three before it’s all over. 

Thank for saying it on the new site. We had no idea that was the case. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Everybody give a big shoutout to Vladimir Putin, James Comey, the Trump supporters in FBI's NYFO, everyone who got fooled into hating Hillary Clinton, everyone who underestimated the efficacy of Russian propaganda, Glenn Greenwald, Cynthia Nixon, Susan Sarandon, & Jill Stein!

Mwahhhhhhhaaa