Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire at the end of July

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If they didn’t play along, would that be liberal media bias?

You can lap it up and still have a bias...  look at whatever news source you choose and it’s non stop coverage.  

1 minute ago, SDG said:

You can lap it up and still have a bias...  look at whatever news source you choose and it’s non stop coverage.  

A naming of a Supreme Court Justice is a big deal, regardless of who is president.

The Merrick Garland nomination was on every channel at the time.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

I wonder why that is?

Media companies are in this showbiz ro make money, full stop. Eyeballs = ad revenue. Who provides the eyballs?

Your op blamed the president and response indicates the media plays apart.  Now it looks like you may agree. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A naming of a Supreme Court Justice is a big deal, regardless of who is president.

The Merrick Garland nomination was on every channel at the time.

It’s a big deal, but probably won’t be worth all the drama that’s going to be fed down our throats the next few days.  How many major cases has the sc decided in the last half of century that congress couldn’t if they were willing to get off thier ass and make legislation?  

"A serious constitutional question exists regarding whether a president can be criminally indicted and tried while in office," Kavanaugh, a D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals judge, wrote in an article in 2009.

"One might raise at least two important critiques of these ideas," Kavanaugh acknowledged in his essay. "The first is that no one is above the law in our system of government. I strongly agree with that principle. But it is not ultimately a persuasive criticism of these suggestions. The point is not to put the president above the law or to eliminate checks on the president, but simply to defer litigation and investigations until the president is out of office.

"A second possible concern is that the country needs a check against a bad-behaving or law-breaking president. But the Constitution already provides that check. If the president does something dastardly, the impeachment process is available."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This guy getting confirmed before the midterms will be a challenge and any significant Mueller investigation developments will make it more difficult politically.

It would be a bad move for the Dems to make the election about this pick. They do fuck up a lot but I doubt they make this mistake.

Just now, Anastasis said:

This shit is a done deal and you are delusional to believe otherwise.

It’s not a done deal.  They need every single GOP vote while the president is the subject of a criminal investigation involving conspiracy to defraud the United States.

If I were a betting man, I’d say the GOP pulls it off but there is a bunch of shit that could come out in the confirmation process.

It’s a big deal, but probably won’t be worth all the drama that’s going to be fed down our throats the next few days.  How many major cases has the sc decided in the last half of century that congress couldn’t if they were willing to get off thier ass and make legislation?  

Then dont fuckin watch. Ironic to see all the peeps bitching about unfair media coverage that refuse to just form their own opinions through a wide cross section of sources.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If I were a betting man, I’d say the GOP pulls it off but there is a bunch of shit that could come out in the confirmation process.

I'll give you even money on anything between $1-5k.  What you are really betting on is Mitch Fn McConnell.  

1 minute ago, F250 said:

It would be a bad move for the Dems to make the election about this pick. They do fuck up a lot but I doubt they make this mistake.

I disagree.  They need to keep pushing the Roe vs Wade shit and women’s rights.  That’s the GOP weakness at the moment.

Keep exploiting that as much as possible.

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

For the sake of diversity, I wish we would move away from all the Harvard and Yale grads.  There are other good law schools. 

Stanford, Penn and Michigan grads should also get no question nods for the SC. As a Texas Law grad, I hate to say it but those schools are a cut above ours. If you want to be a professor of a top 15 law school or sit on the SC you have to go to the Yales of the world 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I disagree.  They need to keep pushing the Roe vs Wade shit and women’s rights.  That’s the GOP weakness at the moment.

Keep exploiting that as much as possible.

Sure, that will bring every Republican out of the woodwork. Roe v. Wade is to Republicans what spinach is to Popeye.

The man is highly competent.  Not worried.

On indicting a sitting POTUS: "A second possible concern is that the country needs a check against a bad-behaving or law-breaking president. But the Constitution already provides that check. If the president does something dastardly, the impeachment process is available."

Also not worried. Just how dastardly will bottle minds when it comes out.  GOP is f'd.

Yay and Hook 'em to his wife !  West Texas w00t !!

Just now, F250 said:

Sure, that will bring every Republican out of the woodwork. Roe v. Wade is to Republicans what spinach is to Popeye.

They’re coming out anyway and many Republicans aren’t going to campaign on Roe vs Wade.  They’ve steered clear of that topic so far in this nomination process.

Sadly, the dems need to make people feel like their rights are threatened.  I know it’s hypocritical fear mongering tactics but that might be what it takes to really galvanize voters among the women and minority communities.

They’re coming out anyway and many Republicans aren’t going to campaign on Roe vs Wade.  They’ve steered clear of that topic so far in this nomination process.
 Sadly, the dems need to make people feel like their rights are threatened.  I know it’s hypocritical fear mongering tactics but that might be what it takes to really galvanize voters among the women and minority communities.

Like they’ve never done that before.
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s not a done deal.  They need every single GOP vote while the president is the subject of a criminal investigation involving conspiracy to defraud the United States.

K.  So you're saying it's gonna be close, but will probably happen but... Might not happen if something else happens.  Fucking in-depth analysis.