NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

On 9/28/2023 at 5:56 PM, d2o said:

Man damn this is such a great era.   There are legit 6-8 teams that you could see winning it.    The arms races every off-season now are incredible drama now we get to see these super teams try and make it through the marathon

Yeah, the difference in the West from being the 3 seed to being the 10 might be if you have a key player miss just 10 games.  You're going to have a legitimately good team miss the playoffs altogether.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Haha Coach got in their heads. Dude definitely clowned them during the parade. Part of me is like yea whatever shut up, but then i kinda like it because itll make things more interesting.

Not just Malone, but Vic Lombardi, who works for Altitude radio and TV is the one who said the Lakers Daddy line at the parade.  Brow is mad at guys who don't even play.  

Edited by Chewbacca

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Not just Malone, but Vic Lombardi, who works for Altitude radio and TV is the one who said the Lakers Daddy line at the parade.  Brow is mad at guys who don't even play.  

Vic Lombardi was my favorite sportscaster as a kid! We lived in the country and did not have access to cable channels until Directv came into existence. We only got whatever stations my dad’s 50 foot antenna picked up from Waco and Austin and occasionally Houston. Lombardi was like an ESPN anchor with how he presented sports on KXAN channel 36 in Austin. I still vividly remember him calling the QB from my high school in Lampasas, Pablo “Picasso” Jass, in 1994. I am sure if I got in touch with Pablo he’d still remember Vic calling him that.

I knew he was up there in Denver and I’m glad he’s still around. I’d love to cross paths with him one day to tell him thank you for how interesting he made sports to me and others when I was a kid. He was so energetic and upbeat. He was and is awesome to me.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 6:28 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Hmmm ok sure thingb4b6d22ab5ad4af0e918ab336e63c733.jpg

Spoken like someone who was ordained to be the best true big man in the league, then had two international centers come in and pass him like was standing still. I'm sure they were some great conversations though, and you might not even get swept this time.

32 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Spoken like someone who was ordained to be the best true big man in the league, then had two international centers come in and pass him like was standing still. I'm sure they were some great conversations though, and you might not even get swept this time.

No, wrong! WRONG! He’s greater than Tim Duncan! 

I just like to remind people that was an actual talking point from the Lakers fanbase. From time to time, I think on it. Just ruminate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

No, wrong! WRONG! He’s greater than Tim Duncan! 

I just like to remind people that was an actual talking point from the Lakers fanbase. From time to time, I think on it. Just ruminate. 

Every single team that has had enormous success, no matter the sport, has these people. It is magnified because the fanbase is the largest in the NBA, as well as worldwide for that matter. When you have that many people that have access to social media you are going to hear a lot of insane things like that.

Get ready for the push to get Austin Reaves to be a starter in the All-Star game and Hachimura to be most improved. For the record I like Hachimura a good bit going back to Gonzaga, but I won’t be supporting that. I know it’s coming if he comes out of the gates hot. My fellow fans are a humorous group a good chunk of the time.

Edited by UpperWestside

Every single team that has had enormous success, no matter the sport, has these people. It is magnified because the fanbase is the largest in the NBA, as well as worldwide for that matter. When you have that many people that have access to social media you are going to hear a lot of insane things like that.

Get ready for the push to get Austin Reaves to be a starter in the All-Star game and Hachimura to be most improved. For the record I like Hachimura a good bit going back to Gonzaga, but I won’t be supporting that. I know it’s coming if he comes out of the gates hot. My fellow fans are a humorous group a good chunk of the time.
Have you already forgotten how Rui shut down Jokic in the WCF?

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Have you already forgotten how Rui shut down Jokic in the WCF?

Just a preview of 82 straight games of domination from Rui! I honestly look forward to this every year. As someone who at one point rooted for a team starting Smush Parker and Kwame Brown, seeing who gets framed as being well overvalued by our fanbase is a fun thing to witness. I mean we may turn Gabe Vincent into a DPOY or All-NBA player depending upon how he looks in the pre-season. 

• Like 1

Watched some of the Wemby/Chet video from last night.  That's going to be a wildly entertaining matchup over the years.

Also, to think, Rudy Gobert is going to have to matchup against both them and Jokic.  They have 11 games between the 3 this season.  Gobert will essentially be useless.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

What's going on with kai jones? Anyone know the backstory on why he's requesting a trade?

Apparently he's a dumbass who doesn't respect his teammates:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10092773-hornets-kai-jones-says-hes-requested-trade-amid-indefinite-leave-of-absence

This comes as Jones is indefinitely away from the team. The Hornets announced on Sept. 30 he would miss training camp for "personal reasons" and that there's no firm timeline for when he'll be back.

Jones' exile came after he made derisive remarks about multiple players on the Hornets roster. First, he was dismissive of Mark Williams and Nick Richards, and then he claimed he's a better player than LaMelo Ball and Brandon Miller.

The Charlotte Observer's Scott Fowler reported Sept. 26 the Hornets "seem concerned" about the 6'11" center based on his social media activity:

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

thanks.  hope this is a momentary lapse in judgement.

Yeah, it's a shame he's doing that before ever playing a meaningful minute in a game. If he's really that good, show it on the court, and let the talking heads pick up the narrative and run with it. Just put in the work and show your best, make an impression, and go get a huge bag on your next deal if you're worth it. Just stupid to do this now, and seems toxic.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Pretending to like and cheer for Dillon brooks is going to be tiring for our resident rocket fans this year

Let me tell you a little something, Bud. The Rockets weren’t going to win with choir boys (I guess like Porter Jr) so they got Brooks. Ja’s leadership was the problem in Memphis, not Brooks. Did you see Brooks in college or with team Canada? He won big. Plus the Rockets had very pointed discussions with him about his behavior before winning a hotly contested negotiation against nobody and guaranteeing him $85 million.

You need to listen to me on this because I’m a Spurs fan and smarter than every other fan in the room. I’ve got five rings to prove it. And I eat naoch on my couch while consulting Gregg Popovich on personnel moves. 

I can assure you the rocket fans around here will have no problem cheering for Dillon Brooks or whoever else puts on that jersey. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let me tell you a little something, Bud. The Rockets weren’t going to win with choir boys (I guess like Porter Jr) so they got Brooks. Ja’s leadership was the problem in Memphis, not Brooks. Did you see Brooks in college or with team Canada? He won big. Plus the Rockets had very pointed discussions with him about his behavior before winning a hotly contested negotiation against nobody and guaranteeing him $85 million.
You need to listen to me on this because I’m a Spurs fan and smarter than every other fan in the room. I’ve got five rings to prove it. And I eat naoch on my couch while consulting Gregg Popovich on personnel moves. 
I can assure you the rocket fans around here will have no problem cheering for Dillon Brooks or whoever else puts on that jersey. 

They’re well seasoned “cheering” for universally hated players like Harden and Chris Paul

Thunder needed to clear roster spots and Houston needed to rid itself of KPJ's contract. I can't help but laugh at the Thunder adding two more second round picks, though. At this point, it's comical. 

I wonder if Houston keeps Oladipo or waives him? I would think he's gonzo. They have their own roster crunch in the backcourt, with Thompson and Green needing as many developmental minutes as they can get plus VanVleet and Brooks. 

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Thunder needed to clear roster spots and Houston needed to rid itself of KPJ's contract. I can't help but laugh at the Thunder adding two more second round picks, though. At this point, it's comical. 

The Thunder have 15 first-round and 22 second-round picks over the next seven years

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38674600/then-alligators-got-memphis-grizzlies-star-ja-morant-18-month-downfall

Hit piece on Ja. It's not undeserved, but I am surprised the league let them run with this. Seems like a deliberate warning shot to Ja and Tee from the league that this season needs to be free from the nonsense. They did Steve Francis dirty though. From everything I can find Francis's problems with alcohol came late in his career after he was already on the decline. And he really was from the streets, not like Clarence Morant.

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wonder if Houston keeps Oladipo or waives him? I would think he's gonzo. They have their own roster crunch in the backcourt, with Thompson and Green needing as many developmental minutes as they can get plus VanVleet and Brooks. 

Crazy.  I dont really understand why OKC would basically pay 18M (KPJs guaranteed salary) to get two 2nd rounds picks.   I guess they also get rid of two contracts as well. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Still thinking about this. I know this is a dumb pot stirring list on purpose but honestly, if you're going to have Lebron and Street Clothes at number 4 and two dudes who MIGHT give you 50 games together if your lucky at number 7, then you have to at least have Ingram and Zion on the list. When he's played Zion has proven to be every bit as dominant as he was hyped to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Oladipo isn't playing any time soon, the Rockets will carry his salary to have options later in the season.

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Oladipo isn't playing any time soon, the Rockets will carry his salary to have options later in the season.

Yeah... it just makes me wonder why OKC didn't do the same thing? That contract would seem valuable if they're trying to add a piece at the deadline. I suppose they have Bertans and his $17 million if they need it, but he's still got another year on his deal after this one. Perhaps it's all part of Presti trying to live out his dream of having an entire second round where he's the only guy picking?

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah... it just makes me wonder why OKC didn't do the same thing? That contract would seem valuable if they're trying to add a piece at the deadline. I suppose they have Bertans and his $17 million if they need it, but he's still got another year on his deal after this one. Perhaps it's all part of Presti trying to live out his dream of having an entire second round where he's the only guy picking?

I thought maybe they were trying to reach the minimum team salary, but they were already well past that and into the ~150m range. Sportrac has them at 156m after the trade.  OKC is still below the tax line, but it seems kind of odd to take on about 4m in dead cap space and send out JRE for two 2nds that will likely be the back half of the 2nd round. 

Tax Levels for reference:
"The National Basketball Association today announced that the salary cap has been set at $136.021 million for the 2023-24 season. The tax level for the 2023-24 season is $165.294 million.

The Minimum Team Salary is $122.418 million for the 2023-24 season.
The First Apron Level is $172.346 million for the 2023-24 season.
The Second Apron Level is $182.794 million for the 2023-24 season.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement provides for three different Mid-Level Exceptions depending on a team’s salary level. The Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level for the 2023-24 season is $12.405 million, the Taxpayer Mid-Level is $5 million, and the Mid-Level for a team with room under the Salary Cap is $7.723 million."