2023 College World Series

Horny Bull

21 minutes ago, Burt said:

When did they start calling this the "MCWS"???  I'm a girls' high school softball coach, so I'm all about including the females, but I'm not a fan of this new designation.

ESPN celebrated some rag from the WNBA yesterday who recorded a triple double. 

You're wondering why the it's no longer called the CWS?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hondo said:

Florida isn't putting up 8 more in the last 2 innings.  If they even get within 4-5, Skenes is in to close the door.

Texas behind LSU in titles.  Disgusting.

It happened before. They were ahead of us 5-4 before we won in 2002 and 2005. 

Pierce has his work cut out for him.

We have this fucking MCWS conversation every damn year. It fucking changed 23 years ago, in 2000.

Yet every damn year it blows peoples' minds like it happened yesterday.

More breaking news people: we landed on the moon.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll say I'm rooting for Florida, I question whether Skenes is "the greatest pitcher college baseball has ever seen", but I wish he had transferred to Texas instead of LSU.

I don't really feel the need to weigh in on a thread that doesn't involve Texas, even though I'm paying attention to the series.  That said, I'll try to clear my posts with you in the future, because God knows I wouldn't want to upset some random jackass who offers almost no content but infinite snark.

He's not even close.

7 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Gators win 31-26!!

Lol 

How different would history be if all championship series were tallied this way.

I mean hell, golf does it. Why can’t the other sports?

🤣

1960 World Series the Yankees outscored the Pirates, 55-27, but, Maz hit the home run in the bottom of the ninth in the seventh game to give the Pirates a 10-9 victory, and the series.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We have this fucking MCWS conversation every damn year. It fucking changed 23 years ago, in 2000.

Yet every damn year it blows peoples' minds like it happened yesterday.

More breaking news people: we landed on the moon.

From Wiki 

The event's official name was changed to "Men's College World Series" no later than 2008. The most recent hosting agreement between the NCAA and the city of Omaha and related entities, signed in that year, states, "The official name of the [championship] shall be the NCAA Men's College World Series". However, as of October 2021, the CWS logo still appeared on the NCAA's official D-I baseball tournament bracket, and on the front page of the NCAA's official CWS website, without the word "Men's". The NCAA has since added "Men's" to the event's logo, and both the NCAA and College World Series of Omaha, Inc. (CWS Omaha), the nonprofit group that organizes the event, now consistently use the phrase "Men's College World Series" to describe it.

10 hours ago, Burt said:

When did they start calling this the "MCWS"???  I'm a girls' high school softball coach, so I'm all about including the females, but I'm not a fan of this new designation.

Also, get off my fucking lawn!

Around 2001 IIRC.  We went through this at the start of the season.

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

he’s 100% in the conversation.  

Yeah, he is and I'm not trying to bust him down in anyway.  He's fantastic and I wish Texas had him.  

But he's not the best.  

I'll just leave it at that.

54 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah, I’d say so. At least individual seasons.

He’s a run lower than the best team ERA. Almost two runs lower than than #2 then 3 runs lower than his own team.

Then when it counted, he got it done in a huge way.

Big distinction there.

Edited by Cajun
And if that's what we're talking about then I might be in less disagreement
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

At least individual seasons.

this i can definitely agree with.  in terms of 3-4 years, he's not.  but i don't think i've seen a college pitcher have a more dominant season than Skenes, especially in light of how baseball has changed over the years in terms of increased talent and technology.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

this i can definitely agree with.  in terms of 3-4 years, he's not.  but i don't think i've seen a college pitcher have a more dominant season than Skenes, especially in light of how baseball has changed over the years in terms of increased talent and technology.

This.  

On my first post I was thinking career, not single season.

That landscape has changed so much that I don’t think there’s any fair comparison to be made between pre and post NIL pitchers.  

56 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

I don’t think anything comes close to Swindell in ‘85. 15 complete games, 204 strikeouts, whip under 1.

Swindell is also the career goat

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

It's not unheard of.  I'll bet money that it's not even the NCAA record.

It’s not, but he’s 6th all time in innings and no one has been close in the last 20 years or so. He is also 2nd in wins in season, 5th in complete games, 10th in Ks. 

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I am sure this has already been posted but 50 combined runs in the final 2 games of the CWS is ass.  

This is what happens when a very good hitting goes against mediocre pitching….the only game that was a good game was the first one.  Teams scoring 18-24 runs in the finals of the World Series is ridiculous.