2023 College World Series

Horny Bull

This rule needs to be fixed.  The ump signaled safe and didn't call the runner being pushed off the base by ORU.  ORU then asked for a review and because he came off the bag he was called out as the safe/pushing off call is not covered by replay.  It's a gap in the rules and obvious he should not be out otherwise you could just push guys off a base every time.

Edited by tx ind

1 hour ago, tx ind said:

This rule needs to be fixed.  The ump signaled safe and didn't call the runner being pushed off the base by ORU.  ORU then asked for a review and because he came off the bag he was called out as the safe/pushing off call is not covered by replay.  It's a gap in the rules and obvious he should not be out otherwise you could just push guys off a base every time.

Even with a rules clarification, I don't think that situation should be reversed. The push-off was unintentional and the runner has to take the blame for allowing himself to be so easily moved. Totally distinct from a fielder walking over to a runner on base and just giving a shove for a tag. This was a live play with active baserunning and fielding that led to an on-field collision. The base is life and you stay attached to it with every fiber of your being if there's a chance you can be tagged. It's Pickle 101.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Hondo said:

That's bad.  Laughably bad.

TCU should:

Intentionally walk the next ORU batter.  Walk over to first base, knock the runner off the base, tag them out, and then go absolutely bananas if the umps do anything except call them out.

Repeat twice more in the inning.  

Make a mockery out of it.

Was there ever an explanation for that bull shit.  Why not beam every batter.  27 straight hit batters.  Throw to first push him him off tag him out.  27 times 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Even with a rules clarification, I don't think that situation should be reversed. The push-off was unintentional and the runner has to take the blame for allowing himself to be so easily moved. Totally distinct from a fielder walking over to a runner on base and just giving a shove for a tag. This was a live play with active baserunning and fielding that led to an on-field collision. The base is life and you stay attached to it with every fiber of your being if there's a chance you can be tagged. It's Pickle 101.

keep your foot on the bag and break your leg because the infielder slid into it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tx ind said:

keep your foot on the bag and break your leg because the infielder slid into it?

You lose your other foot and hands? Watch the play, runner passively stood there and allowed the momentum to push him off. Totally avoidable. Same concept as sliding into second. You hang onto the bag no matter what it takes until time is called or you fucked up.

9 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

You lose your other foot and hands? Watch the play, runner passively stood there and allowed the momentum to push him off. Totally avoidable. Same concept as sliding into second. You hang onto the bag no matter what it takes until time is called or you fucked up.

No way.  What was the runner supposed to do? He could not have maintained contact in any way with the SS coming in at his feet and the base runner coming in high. Short of turtling down onto the base, he was screwed. It’s a bad rule. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Here is the actual rule.  It is totally at the discretion of the umpire whether or not to call the runner forced off of the base out or safe.  That is why that portion of the play is not reviewable.

i. The individual is touched by the ball (when not dead) securely held in the hand or glove of a fielder while the runner is not touching the base; Note 1: A ball stuck in a fielder’s glove remains alive. If the fielder tosses the ball/ glove combination to another fielder in time to complete a tag of a base or runner in advance of the base and the ball/glove combination is held securely, the runner or batter-runner is out. Note 2: If in the judgement of an umpire, a runner is pushed or forced off a base by a fielder, intentionally or unintentionally, at which the runner would otherwise have been called safe, the umpire has the authority and discretion under the circumstances to return the runner to the base they were forced off following the conclusion of the play. Exception—If a batter-runner safely touches first base and then overslides or overruns it, the player immediately may return to first base without liability of being tagged out, provided no attempt to run to second was made. Also, if any base comes loose from its fastening when any runner contacts it, such a runner cannot be tagged out because the base slides away (see 8-3-q).

2 hours ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

Was there ever an explanation for that bull shit.  Why not beam every batter.  27 straight hit batters.  Throw to first push him him off tag him out.  27 times 

My understanding is that live, the official never bothered to called obstruction, since he called the runner safe.

So when the review showed his foot came off, that was it. You can't apparently call obstruction on review.

Edited by gatormarc

4 hours ago, tx ind said:

I didn't see the game. Why is the runner sliding into third with a runner already there? If he's in a pickle and hoping for a fielding error to allow the guy on third to get home, okay, but why slide? Even if the tag wasn't made he's gonna be tagged out even if he's on a bag that's already occupied, right?

Edited by 'stache

3 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I had no issue with it.  I had a huge confusion what the fuck TCU was doing.

-Runner caught in a run down between 2nd and 3rd, runner at 3rd did not leave the base and didn't seem to have any intention to leave the base 

-Batter was headed for 2nd and reached it safely

What was the runner at 3rd going to do if ORU missed the tag on the run down or something? They both can't occupy the base. The ORU fielder was falling towards the bag and the TCU runner at 3rd could have gone to one side of the base and not let himself get displaced by standing his ground. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I had no issue with it.  I had a huge confusion what the fuck TCU was doing.

-Runner caught in a run down between 2nd and 3rd, runner at 3rd did not leave the base and didn't seem to have any intention to leave the base 

-Batter was headed for 2nd and reached it safely

What was the runner at 3rd going to do if ORU missed the tag on the run down or something? They both can't occupy the base. The ORU fielder was falling towards the bag and the TCU runner at 3rd could have gone to one side of the base and not let himself get displaced by standing his ground. 

Yeah, that was my confusion, and I don't feel bad for TCU on the call. They caused the problem with strange baserunning.