RIP Ryan Mallett

Horn Under a Bad Sign

My parents spent their weekends drunk and boating on Lake Travis in the 70's. I'm glad they had the foresight to put me in swim classes as an infant. 

They didn't give a shit about how many times I cut my feet on a pop top, though. 

Sad news. RIP. Strongest arm I’ve ever seen in a hs qb. I’m certain he was a hell of a lot more than that to the people who knew him, but that’s what I remember about him. Maybe I’m off base, but it seems like an inordinate number of kids from the top of that recruiting class have already passed. At first glance, I see—Joe McKnight, Mallett, Austin Box, convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez, and Andre Jones. I was thinking Mallett and Jevan Snead were the same class, but Snead was a year ahead.

16 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It was called drown proofing in scouts back in the 60’s. We taught it a summer camp and I’ve taught my son and granddaughters. It’s first about relaxing with the situation and saving energy. So many drown due to panic

This.  Most of these victims apparently are very poor or nonswimmers.  Easier to float in salt water than in your local pool.

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

This.  Most of these victims apparently are very poor or nonswimmers.  Easier to float in salt water than in your local pool.

You can still get pulled out pretty quickly though.  Went boogie boarding on a red day there a few years back.  Caught a wave but got worked immediately and went under and came back up about 20-30 yards further out (at least that is what it seemed like).  

Edited by BonzoMontreaux
English, how does it work...

I was a lifeguard in the area back in the day.  First, if red flags are out, stay out of the water.  Waist deep doesn’t work and is how tourists get caught.  They either get knock over by a 1-3 ft wave in choppy water or don’t understand the beach is not a pool and it can be deep to the left or right of you.  

The second sand bar gets a lot of tourists as well.  It is much further out than it looks and it is deep.  You can’t stand up so you better know how to float. It does have lots of sand dollars but these days you aren’t allowed to pick them up.

What amazes the most is not that people drown but that crappy swimmers don’t swim in lifeguard supervised areas.  I tell my kids who are good swimmers to go the lifeguard beaches.  

14 minutes ago, Hornsome said:

I was a lifeguard in the area back in the day.  First, if red flags are out, stay out of the water.  Waist deep doesn’t work and is how tourists get caught.  They either get knock over by a 1-3 ft wave in choppy water or don’t understand the beach is not a pool and it can be deep to the left or right of you.  

The second sand bar gets a lot of tourists as well.  It is much further out than it looks and it is deep.  You can’t stand up so you better know how to float. It does have lots of sand dollars but these days you aren’t allowed to pick them up.

What amazes the most is not that people drown but that crappy swimmers don’t swim in lifeguard supervised areas.  I tell my kids who are good swimmers to go the lifeguard beaches.  

Thank you for your service 

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

RIP. That sucks.

Apparently he was coaching high school football.

https://www.deltaplexnews.com/white-hall-head-football-coach-ryan-mallett-drowns-in-florida/

He was recruited to Michigan by Lloyd Carr. He transferred to Arkansas when Rich Rodriguez took over because it was clear he wasn’t going to fit in RichRod’s system.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:03 PM, Bateshorn said:

Did we have a shot at him?  If so, what happened? Didn’t want to take on Colt? Did Butterteeth fuck it up?  If he went to Michigan, wouldn’t have been pay for play.

Those were some fun eras to follow QB recruiting.  Mallett was 2007 recruiting class.  It was a Texas/Arkansas/Michigan battle.  Jevan Snead and Mitch Mustain committed to Texas and Arkansas in the 2006 classes, which really turned Mallett to Michigan.  He had no interest in sitting behind a top recruit in the immediate class above.  He committed early, never wavered, and enrolled early at Michigan.  Shortly after, Mustain and Snead transferred from Arkansas and Texas after their freshmen years.

In Arkansas, there were rumblings right away that Mallett was homesick at Michigan and that he did not love the weather (as mentioned, he enrolled in January).  Then it just became the perfect storm for him to return home.  Lloyd Carr fired, Rich Rod hired at Michigan.  Houston Nutt fired, Bobby Petrino hired at Arkansas.  Got to transfer back and play in a pass heavy offense with the starting job wide open.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Those were some fun eras to follow QB recruiting.  Mallett was 2007 recruiting class.  It was a Texas/Arkansas/Michigan battle.  Jevan Snead and Mitch Mustain committed to Texas and Arkansas in the 2006 classes, which really turned Mallett to Michigan.  He had no interest in sitting behind a top recruit in the immediate class above.  He committed early, never wavered, and enrolled early at Michigan.  Shortly after, Mustain and Snead transferred from Arkansas and Texas after their freshmen years.

In Arkansas, there were rumblings right away that Mallett was homesick at Michigan and that he did not love the weather (as mentioned, he enrolled in January).  Then it just became the perfect storm for him to return home.  Lloyd Carr fired, Rich Rod hired at Michigan.  Houston Nutt fired, Bobby Petrino hired at Arkansas.  Got to transfer back and play in a pass heavy offense with the starting job wide open.

Danke, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Mitch Mustain...that's a name I haven't heard in ages.  I remember all the handwringing over Mustain and the other players from Springdale (a two WRs, TE, and OL) that year.  None of them really amounted to much of anything aside from one the receivers who had a decent career at USC after transferring from Arkansas.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2023 at 12:56 PM, Droopy said:

Wife and I were in belly/chest (both feet flat on the sand) deep water on the Texas coast and got caught off guard by the current. Both of us were 50 yards off shore and being pulled out further within 15 secs or so. Remembered the Jiminy Cricket swim safety video from elementary school in the 80's. Yelled for the wife, who was drifting out further, to swim parallel to the beach with me and we both got out of it within 30 secs, but it took all we had to get out. Swam back to the beach and once we both were on the sand we basically collapsed walking back to the tent and towels. Harry shit, and nobody had a clue we were in trouble.

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could... fucking die trying to pee in the ocean.” – Ferris Bueller

Wife and I were DOA in Cabo within 60 seconds and we weren’t even swimming - walk on the beach and a rogue wave came up and grabbed us by the ankles. Took everything we had to survive. 

@Bateshorn is correct.  Look at the ocean, swim in the pool.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/29/2023 at 8:16 PM, Hornsome said:

pamela lee cj parker GIF

On 6/27/2023 at 7:36 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

He and Mallett just missed being teammates at Arky since Mallett initially went to Michigan.

Mallett just missed Hillis along with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.  Those four in a prime-Petrino offense would have been pretty stout.

• Hook 'Em 1