Matt Rife

Dennis Taylor

i've been enjoying him for several months now...very little prepared material, he's almost all back and forth with the audience (like this clip) which is unusual and really fun to watch, you never know where it's going to go. i tried getting tickets to his Denver shows next spring - they added like 3 additional shows bc the first one sold out so fast! but they all sold out instantly too, and i'm not paying hundreds for a comedian 😒 anyway, i've seen some interviews and he actually seems like a genuinely nice guy, he just looks like a fratboy douche 😄 (which he acknowledges himself lol).

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

How does that compare with Nate Bargatze? 

Please tell Me you’re not comparing Bargatze and Rife because they’re both about the same age, doing well right now, and lived in Nashville?  

rife is funny, has some whispers of the crowd work chops Of Big Jay, and his polished conventional set is getting better by the month.  But BarGatze is a completely different kind of comic.  Far more insightful, hilarious, and unintentional.  

He reminds me a lot of Louis CK before Louis got angrier and creepier.  Nate could become more boisterous, offensive, and use loud taglines tomorrow and he’d be one of the five biggest comics in the business right now.  His material, storytelling, delivery, and restrained stage presence are already that.  He opts not to be a showman entertainer.  Easily one Of my ten favorites working today.  And a helluva nice guy.  

rife is probably nice in real life.  Part Of his schtick is to embrace his douchiness.  But he’s got enough wit in his funny bones, he’ll be around for awhile.  I enjoy him for the most part. There’s another southern comic who tried To pull off the “I don’t know how hot I am so let’s talk about it ladies…” schtick, Matthew Broussard.  It as all about his struggle as a handsome, brilliant, funny guy growing up.  And he totally sucks.  Why the fuck they still play his bits on sat radio is beyond me.  Rife straddles that line but is likable And has solid bits to fall back in of a wide variety.  

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

same age?  this kid looks 20 years younger and seems like a poor man’s daniel tosh. don’t fuck with nate. 

Shit, I didn't realize Nate was 44.  He looks worn down, but I assumed that was being an older parent and life on the road.  He appeared to have boyish looks underneath all that.  But nope, he's middle aged same as me.  

"Poor Man's Daniel Tosh" is a good way to put it.  Judges would have also accepted, "Less funny, less polished Chris Distefano"  

• 4 months later...

i'm guessing either the waitress with a black eye bit or his special needs friend with the giant dick? (or both)

he did finish with basically daring 'them' to cancel him, maybe they will 🤔 i laughed some but overall i def enjoy his crowd work more than his scripted set, he's a lot better off the cuff imo. you can tell he's still young and working on it. as for being 'offensive', he didn't even come close to the 'offensive' line of a Bill Burr, Louis CK,  Sarah Silverman, Chapelle, etc...all of whom i love. of course they are all funnier, more seasoned and have way more comedic capital, so we'll see if he can survive his dare lol.

Made it through 40 minutes or so of his stand-up special while flying IAH-LHR the other day. Turned it off because it was so unfunny. Didn't even chuckle or break a smile once and I was a captive audience on a metal tube flying over the ocean. Absolutely terrible. The jokes people are complaining about weren't shocking or funny. They were just dumb recycled shit from 20 years ago. The problem isn't him telling "offensive" jokes, the problem is him not being funny.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just saw clips of his special in the background while surfing through Netflix, and I get that they're just small clips, but it all seemed absolutely awful.

I think he's popular because he's a good looking guy in a field that's not exactly dominated by good looking guys.

10 hours ago, royiv said:

Made it through 40 minutes or so of his stand-up special while flying IAH-LHR the other day. Turned it off because it was so unfunny. Didn't even chuckle or break a smile once and I was a captive audience on a metal tube flying over the ocean. Absolutely terrible. The jokes people are complaining about weren't shocking or funny. They were just dumb recycled shit from 20 years ago. The problem isn't him telling "offensive" jokes, the problem is him not being funny.

35 minutes longer than I made it. 

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just saw clips of his special in the background while surfing through Netflix, and I get that they're just small clips, but it all seemed absolutely awful.

I think he's popular because he's a good looking guy in a field that's not exactly dominated by good looking guys.

The overwhelmingly large demographic of his fanbase is, as the OP suggests and the first few comments when this thread was created, older women who are unpartnered who found him good looking and his humor was cute and daring, but not threatening. He could have carved out a good life and made some good money going all in on that demographic and playing to the bachelorette / hen-party crowds and eventually making RomCom's for women and gay audiences.

From what I've read it sounds like he wanted to break out of that mold and challenge that identity and being pigeon-holed so his new special he pushed his own boundaries. Thus far the problem has been that a) the people who care about his comedy and his fans feel betrayed (lots of ableism and misogyny complaints) and b) he doesn't have the skills and comedic bag yet for that detour.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:31 AM, YGIFS said:

Please tell Me you’re not comparing Bargatze and Rife because they’re both about the same age, doing well right now, and lived in Nashville?  

rife is funny, has some whispers of the crowd work chops Of Big Jay, and his polished conventional set is getting better by the month.  But BarGatze is a completely different kind of comic.  Far more insightful, hilarious, and unintentional.  

He reminds me a lot of Louis CK before Louis got angrier and creepier.  Nate could become more boisterous, offensive, and use loud taglines tomorrow and he’d be one of the five biggest comics in the business right now.  His material, storytelling, delivery, and restrained stage presence are already that.  He opts not to be a showman entertainer.  Easily one Of my ten favorites working today.  And a helluva nice guy.  

rife is probably nice in real life.  Part Of his schtick is to embrace his douchiness.  But he’s got enough wit in his funny bones, he’ll be around for awhile.  I enjoy him for the most part. There’s another southern comic who tried To pull off the “I don’t know how hot I am so let’s talk about it ladies…” schtick, Matthew Broussard.  It as all about his struggle as a handsome, brilliant, funny guy growing up.  And he totally sucks.  Why the fuck they still play his bits on sat radio is beyond me.  Rife straddles that line but is likable And has solid bits to fall back in of a wide variety.  

Rice Owl

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

of course you posted this.  you are surly’s delicate queen of fragility.  I don’t know the standup or even what he said but I’m sure it’s not that bad in the world of fucking standup comedy.  

Ahh yes, futureman. Surly’s passive aggressive bigot who has emotional trauma because of his parents, children, wife, or all 3 and so you use this website as an outlet  to be a bitch to everyone for no reason

I never said I was offended by what he said. I just posted his fall from grace grace has been interesting and rapid from whatever he said. (Although I had heard his Netflix special was terrible before any of this happened)

Happy thanksgiving future

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, futureman said:

of course you posted this.  you are surly’s delicate queen of fragility.  I don’t know the standup or even what he said but I’m sure it’s not that bad in the world of fucking standup comedy.  

“You’re so fragile. I don’t even know what the topic is and am simply talking out of my ass but I’m futureman and it’s what I do, you’re clearly just a fragile pussy. “

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, mchookem said:

he did finish with basically daring 'them' to cancel him, maybe they will 🤔 i laughed some but overall i def enjoy his crowd work more than his scripted set, he's a lot better off the cuff imo. you can tell he's still young and working on it. as for being 'offensive', he didn't even come close to the 'offensive' line of a Bill Burr, Louis CK,  Sarah Silverman, Chapelle, etc...all of whom i love. of course they are all funnier, more seasoned and have way more comedic capital, so we'll see if he can survive his dare lol.

I watched a few minutes and meh.  His delivery….could just be me, but he came across as trying to hard.  Comedians like Jeselnik just slide stuff some consider to be offensive in before you realize it. And Jeselnik even joked that he leads with some stuff so that people know what they are getting into

My little sister had a baby recently, a little newborn. Kid is so cute. But she won’t let me hold him. She refuses. Says no way Anthony. I’m afraid you’re going to drop him. Like I’m some kind of idiot. LIke I don’t have a million other ways to hurt that baby. I will get it done.

And people get weird when kids die. No that’s a fact. A fact. About a month ago, some kids in my neighborhood were playing hide and go seek and one of them ended up in an abandoned refrigerator. It’s all anyone talked about for weeks. I said who cares, how many kids you know, get to die a winner? I assume you guys all knew who you were coming to see this week. But if you didn’t you sure as shit know now.

• Haha 1

I don’t follow stand up that closely but I’ve seen a bunch of crowd work from this guy and he cracks me up-

I think there’s something maybe going on with stand up in general and how crowd work does super well on TikTok/etc. like these guys can be funny but it maybe makes the atmosphere more difficult for… Birbiglia types