2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

On 8/21/2023 at 9:48 AM, Park Gothic said:

EGAT just did a breakdown of the LB position. Waddlington and Boyd are bullish on Gbenda while acknowledging his shortcomings. Scipio saw improvement from '21 to '22 and made the case that the trend should continue, especially in coverage. He noted that Gbenda may still be playing "wait and see" against the run (rather than being proactive), but that is still better than his strategy of "run around randomly" from 2021. 

Remember, Ford wasn't shit until he was.  

Man, you were able to listen to that? The only thing worse than reading Ian Boyd is listening to that boring-ass son-of-a-bitch. Didn’t they used to play recordings of him at Guantanamo when the water boarding didn’t work? Thanks for taking one for the team and falling on that grenade, you masochist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Man, you were able to listen to that? The only thing worse than reading Ian Boyd is listening to that boring-ass son-of-a-bitch. Didn’t they used to play recordings of him at Guantanamo when the water boarding didn’t work? Thanks for taking one for the team and falling on that grenade, you masochist. 

The human charisma vacuum cleaner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Waddlington's reactions to Boyd are like crack to me. Boyd will say some of the most ridiculous shit you've ever heard and you can tell Paul wants to ask what the fuck is wrong with his brain, but knows that he can't actually say that shit out loud, so he struggles to come up with a polite response that doesn't match Boyd's idiocy. 

For the most part I just appreciate Paul's thoughts on the team and his knowledge of Longhorn history. I ignore most of what Boyd says and enjoy the absurd moments when they come. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

In the spring game Murphy was throwing to Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore running routes against walk-on CB's. 

Arch had the luxury of throwing to Thatcher Milton and Paxton Anderson running routes against Malik Muhammad.

OK, but if his name were Arch Goldfarb would you be cutting him any slack?
I'm NOT saying he's Garrett Gilbert or that Murphy is Sherrod Harris, but we've been here before. I'm not anointing a guy until I see him play under presure in the face of equal or superior talent and execution. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024

interest look. worthy 16, Ewers 25, Sanders 31, Sweat 65, Catalon 131, Ford 172

Let me tell you why this entire fucking thing is trash. I don't know what their methodology is, but it's trash. How do I know? Because if seeing Bryce "I don't even like football" Foster as a third round draft pick (#95) didn't give you pause, seeing Tony Grimes, Texas A&M CB, at 101 certainly should have tipped you off. This is the same Tony Grimes that just transferred in from North Carolina after being told to hit the bricks. The same Tony Grimes that, by all accounts, isn't even in A&M's 2 deep. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 7

If we're talking draft, here's the best early stuff I've come across so far

- Dane sees five sure top ten picks in Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Marvin Harrison Jr, Olu Fashuna, and Amarius Mims
- Seems to have Brock Bowers in a slightly different category because he wonders if some NFL teams will be scared off of drafting a TE in the top ten when the position doesn't historically pay off with draft picks that high which could cause him to fall a little from where he should be drafted
- Doesn't have any defensive players as top ten locks. Likes the top DEs and Kool-Aid, but doesn't seem to have them as locks at this point
- Highest RBs are late 2nd early 3rd types
- Really likes the high end depth of the valuable positions (QB, OT, CB, WR, DL) of this draft, which makes this a strong draft in his opinion. Thinks QB and OT are really deep

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/prospects-to-pros-marvin-harrison-jr-brock-bowers-and/id1528622068?i=1000624617337

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

If we're talking draft, here's the best early stuff I've come across so far

- Dane sees five sure top ten picks in Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Marvin Harrison Jr, Olu Fashuna, and Amarius Mims
- Seems to have Brock Bowers in a slightly different category because he wonders if some NFL teams will be scared off of drafting a TE in the top ten when the position doesn't historically pay off with draft picks that high which could cause him to fall a little from where he should be drafted
- Doesn't have any defensive players as top ten locks. Likes the top DEs and Kool-Aid, but doesn't seem to have them as locks at this point
- Highest RBs are late 2nd early 3rd types
- Really likes the high end depth of the valuable positions (QB, OT, CB, WR, DL) of this draft, which makes this a strong draft in his opinion. Thinks QB and OT are really deep

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/prospects-to-pros-marvin-harrison-jr-brock-bowers-and/id1528622068?i=1000624617337

Where did he hvae Tony Grimes going?

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me tell you why this entire fucking thing is trash. I don't know what their methodology is, but it's trash. How do I know? Because if seeing Bryce "I don't even like football" Foster as a third round draft pick (#95) didn't give you pause, seeing Tony Grimes, Texas A&M CB, at 101 certainly should have tipped you off. This is the same Tony Grimes that just transferred in from North Carolina after being told to hit the bricks. The same Tony Grimes that, by all accounts, isn't even in A&M's 2 deep. 

It right at the top of the page

2024 Consensus Big Board
This consensus big board of each player's overall ranking for the 
2024 NFL Draft was compiled using 26Big Board(s), 1031st RoundMock Draft(s), and 28 Team BasedMock Draft(s). 
These numbers do not include ALL mock drafts in the database, but rather ones that are closest to the Draft date.

Last Updated: 17 hours ago

his

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It right at the top of the page

2024 Consensus Big Board
This consensus big board of each player's overall ranking for the 
2024 NFL Draft was compiled using 26Big Board(s), 1031st RoundMock Draft(s), and 28 Team BasedMock Draft(s). 
These numbers do not include ALL mock drafts in the database, but rather ones that are closest to the Draft date.

Last Updated: 17 hours ago

his

I know, genius, I read it. And it's gibberish. It's a bunch of words that don't actually tell you anything. And if you click around the links that are supposed to make up their "database" I found that most of them didn't even have picks outside of the first round. So bascialy everything else is completely made up bullshit. 

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know, genius, I read it. And it's gibberish. It's a bunch of words that don't actually tell you anything. And if you click around the links that are supposed to make up their "database" I found that most of them didn't even have picks outside of the first round. So bascialy everything else is completely made up bullshit. 

Pardon me. When someone says "I don't know what their methodology is", I assume they do not know the methodology.  I translate sentences as they are actually written, without interpretation. It is the cross autistics have to bear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Pardon me. When someone says "I don't know what their methodology is", I assume they do not know the methodology.  I translate sentences as they are actually written, without interpretation. It is the cross autistics have to bear. 

Wait, you’re autistic?

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

I don't know what Ian looks like but I imagine this dude when I hear him on the radio. Colin Robinson. 

image.jpeg.89548ee961055b8e9d8b3da1b80777ac.jpeg

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think that Texas hired somone as their head football coach based solely on how we think he'd call plays? And that we had no other expectations of someone that was to be our Head Coach. Not hiring a staff, not recruiting, not program management, just play calling? Well, that's a take. Do you buy your car based solely on how well you think it's going to carry your bicycle around?

Also, you have literally no idea "Why" the athletic department decided to hire Sarkisian. Neither do I. But I know it wasn't for just one thing. 

Given that Sark was hired at Texas after demonstrating exceptional talent as a playcalling OC at Alabama, it is fair to assume (without primary evidence from the hiring process) that his ability to coordinate an offense and call plays may have, in fact, been his greatest selling point. Especially considering that his track record as a HC and program manager outside of playcalling prior to Texas was not exceptional. So it does seem odd that his greatest past strength would be his greatest present weakness here. But every situation is different, alcohol is a helluva drug, etc.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Frontier gibberish?? 
image.jpeg.aa0519c596d97946b16c566d154f263d.jpeg

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Texas went from not being competitive in paying players to now being the school that can probably pay players the most (or at least in the top few schools with the most resources for NIL).  Whether Sark is a great coach, a great playcaller, program builder, or whatever, is much less relevant now because of that.  Jerry Jones and Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl with a stacked roster (that was even further enhanced when the NFL had free agency and no salary cap for a brief time).   Kirby Smart is a two-time defending national champion.  Ed Orgeron, Les Miles, Barry Switzer again, and other similarly unimpressive good ole boys and meatheads have all won national championships simply because they were able to get the best players by hook or crook.  Mack Brown and Greg Davis did it.  The best way to appear like a brilliant CEO type or a schematic genius in college football is just to get better players than everyone else.

Sark would kind of have to be an unbelievable buffoon not to make this work at this point.   You saw this all unfold in his first recruiting class.  In the before NIL time, even pretty late in the cycle we still had commits from guys like that Louisiana DB whose other offers were McNeese State type schools, Kelvin Banks was committed to Oregon, we hadn't closed on most of our top targets, etc.  Then NIL gets up and running, and suddenly that class closes on the level of Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State and we've stayed at that level in recruiting since then.

We weren't getting the great players for about a decade because we didn't pay competitive rates.  Now we beat other school's offers, and we get top guys.  It doesn't take a football mastermind to run that program.

Agreed. Mack Brown ran the option with Troy Aikman at OU, but he recruited his way into 1 national championship and played for another.

Also see Oeaux, Les Miles, Gus Malzahn. 

At least Sark can fill out a whiteboard and seems to be an elite recruiter. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. Mack Brown ran the option with Troy Aikman at OU, but he recruited his way into 1 national championship and played for another.

Also see Oeaux, Les Miles, Gus Malzahn. 

Should’ve been 3 but I’m not getting myself worked up over that again. Ugh

*happy thought happy thoughts* 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Also see Oeaux, Les Miles, Gus Malzahn

While Malzahn actually deserves some credit, Chizik is the meathead you're looking for

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I really shouldn’t mock appearances, but maybe use a different head shot that doesn’t give away your villainous nature as you plot to destroy our souls little by little, ten thousand words at a time. 

He has a face for radio, and a voice for print media. But that doesn't go so well either. 

4 minutes ago, Fico said:

Lol but it wasn’t even a bad conference in 2008. It was the toughest conference in the country.

UT, OU, Tech and Mizzu that year. 

We lost one game on the road to a top 10 team, in the last minute, at the end of a stretch of playing 4 top 10 teams in a row.

Florida got beat down at home with white Jesus playing the whole game by a 6-6 Ole Miss, due to a post game fucking speech.

Fuck 2008.

No doubt in my mind we would have beat Florida in 08 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

4. 2001, 2005, 2008, 2009. Bad coaching killed 2001. Bad conference killed 2008.

Yes but he said won one and played for another. Should’ve been playing for 3 and won 1 was my point

Just being a technical asshole here. Carry on

33 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

And it's that scene where he's explaining the basic rules of blackjack to Clooney and Pitt as they look at each other incredulously.

Or his very first scene when he’s in the van with the cops and the cops start messing around with his stuff 

“you don’t see me grabbing your gun and waving it around” 

“settle down, Radio Shack” 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fico said:

Lol but it wasn’t even a bad conference in 2008. It was the toughest conference in the country.

UT, OU, Tech and Mizzu that year. 

We lost one game on the road to a top 10 team, in the last minute, at the end of a stretch of playing 4 top 10 teams in a row.

Florida got beat down at home with white Jesus playing the whole game by a 6-6 Ole Miss, due to a post game fucking speech.

Fuck 2008.

It was a "bad conference" in the sense that Art Fucking Briles sabotaged us to keep us out of the running.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Just watched the first 2 eps of the Florida Gators doc on Netflix. Man I miss Texas having players with dogs in em like UF had. Hopefully we see some of that this year. 

I don’t even know what show this is, but if it’s a Netflix documentary, I don’t think what you took away from it is appropriate.
  • Haha 1

Given that Sark was hired at Texas after demonstrating exceptional talent as a playcalling OC at Alabama, it is fair to assume (without primary evidence from the hiring process) that his ability to coordinate an offense and call plays may have, in fact, been his greatest selling point. Especially considering that his track record as a HC and program manager outside of playcalling prior to Texas was not exceptional. So it does seem odd that his greatest past strength would be his greatest present weakness here. But every situation is different, alcohol is a helluva drug, etc.

That is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection.

Overruled.

Bill O’Brien coached the 2022 offense to 41 points a game. 4th in the nation. BOB is one of the worst OC’s out there. Sometimes talent covers up bad coaching.

Sark can coordinate an offense. And some of his offenses are beautiful to watch. Some are not. It remains to be seen what he can do without elite talent. We saw our offense sputter after other teams adjusted. Sometimes it looked like we ran out plays.

He got run out of Atlanta. I’m hoping he works out, but he’s been underwhelming so far.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Overruled.

Bill O’Brien coached the 2022 offense to 41 points a game. 4th in the nation. BOB is one of the worst OC’s out there. Sometimes talent covers up bad coaching.

Sark can coordinate an offense. And some of his offenses are beautiful to watch. Some are not. It remains to be seen what he can do without elite talent. We saw our offense sputter after other teams adjusted. Sometimes it looked like we ran out plays.

He got run out of Atlanta. I’m hoping he works out, but he’s been underwhelming so far.

I actually think the best thing I'm seeing of sober sark is the lack of ego. Most coaches are so full of themselves they lack the ability to self evaluate and admit they made a mistake.  This leads to guys rubbing everyone the wrong way, keeping ineffective offensive coordinators, or passing against Baylor when Ricky is averaging 10 yards a carry.

I've never done AA, but due to family I'm pretty familiar with the whole concept, and brutal self honesty and tearing down the ego are big things.  Sark seems to be willing to admit a problem and take steps to fix it 

Or this whole psychoanalysis is just bullshit.  I'm high as hell so what do I know? (Yes- I realize the irony)

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Overruled.

I'd prefer Sark tries to win specifically WITH elite talent.

• Hook 'Em 1