Is There A Dr in the House - Newborn Pneumonia

Dbeasy

My daughter was also born a month early, had jaundice, and they couldn't get her to breathe at first. There were some scary moments. She's now a healthy, blonde, 6-foot, 23-year-old knock-out. Don't even dare to ask for pics.

Both your daughter and granddaughter are in good hands. I know it's asking too much, because I'm sure you're a nervous but proud grandfather, but they've got this.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Good luck, hoping she’ll be fine.  My grandson was a month premature with a broken collarbone and other complications, he’s a healthy 2 year old now and the folks at the hospital were top notch.  

Ya the doctor thinks he may have hurt the baby’s shoulder too, yanking her out. The baby was huge, 8 lbs 11 oz, and my daughter is 5’1” and about 95 pounds. It was ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The NICU pros know what they are doing. As said above, your granddaughter is in very good hands. 
My twin grandkids were born at 25 weeks with several serious problems and spent the first three months of their lives at Seton Hospital before they were big enough (6 lbs) to go home. 
My granddaughter is 30 & healthy and is getting married next spring.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Sorry to bother the board. My daughter just gave birth a few hours ago to my granddaughter. However, she has fluid in the lungs and a chest x ray among other tests has them believing she has pneumonia.   I just want to make sure we are doing everything we should. 

If there are any doctors who see this, I would appreciate any thoughts you had. The baby is in intensive care with a breathing and feeding tube. They’ve started her on antibiotics. The pneumonia test results haven’t come back yet. Daughter is freaking out, obviously. 

Don't answer this until you have to piss and 30 seconds to kill.  What hospital are y'all at?  

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ya the doctor thinks he may have hurt the baby’s shoulder too, yanking her out. The baby was huge, 8 lbs 11 oz, and my daughter is 5’1” and about 95 pounds. It was ridiculous. 

Same with my daughter, she is a small person, it was apparently a painful ordeal for her and the baby both.  Plus it was October 2020 so none of us could be there (covid).  All my good thoughts are with your grandkid.  

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The one at Parmer?  Good.  That's the best NICU for what you're dealing with, no disrespect to Dell Children's.  Dr. Akin's group is all out this weekend, but trust the nurses there.  It's the absolute best place your daughter/grand-daughter can be for hundreds of miles in any direction.  I know that's cold comfort.  Trust the staff on rotation, I'll put in an email on Sunday to see if there's somebody else they can bring by with more expertise.  But you're in the right place.  Believe me.  If you're in the wing I think you're in, go NW out of the building.  Get some P. Terry's for anybody who is hungry.  Bring back shakes for anybody.  Take a breath in this hot ass sauna we call "Autumn."  There's a meditation/poly-spiritual room to your south above the cafeteria.  Collect yourself there, say a prayer, and let us know how we can help later this weekend.  Pins and needles until then, we get it.  Pins and needles is parenthood.  She's got this.  Don't let them transfer them this weekend.  Stay put.  Don't second guess.  And for god's sakes man...cough into your sleeve you damn neanderthal!     

Impressive.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

My daughter was also born a month early, had jaundice, and they couldn't get her to breathe at first. There were some scary moments. She's now a healthy, blonde, 6-foot, 23-year-old knock-out. Don't even dare to ask for pics.

Does she babysit though?

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Sorry to bother the board. My daughter just gave birth a few hours ago to my granddaughter. However, she has fluid in the lungs and a chest x ray among other tests has them believing she has pneumonia.   I just want to make sure we are doing everything we should. 

If there are any doctors who see this, I would appreciate any thoughts you had. The baby is in intensive care with a breathing and feeding tube. They’ve started her on antibiotics. The pneumonia test results haven’t come back yet. Daughter is freaking out, obviously. 

I don't know if you worship God, but I do.  I'm gonna pray to Catholic Jesus for all of you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Quick update. The antibiotics seem to be helping. She is still in the ICU, but off direct oxygen and now on CPAP and feeding tube. We have our fingers crossed that things are headed in the right direction. And as YGIFs mentioned, as I googled all of the potential things it could be, and the procedures for diagnosing and treating, they seem to be doing all the right steps. Thanks again for the prayers and support.

Good stuff, Dbeasy. Let’s have the little one set the tone for the day with a big win, one that really matters. Then, our Horns can follow her badass lead.
  • Hook 'Em 1

We live just across Mopac from St. Davids and have been there with both kids. You're in great hands and I'm so glad to hear she's doing better. And fwiw, my oldest was full-term but unexpectedly ended up in the NICU at birth with breathing problems (this was at Seton Main, not St. Davids) and today he's a thriving 15-year-old. Thinking about y'all.

25 minutes ago, austingirl said:

We live just across Mopac from St. Davids and have been there with both kids. You're in great hands and I'm so glad to hear she's doing better. And fwiw, my oldest was full-term but unexpectedly ended up in the NICU at birth with breathing problems (this was at Seton Main, not St. Davids) and today he's a thriving 15-year-old. Thinking about y'all.

Hearing stories like this definitely calms us all down. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Baby off oxygen, off feeding tube, and grandpa got to see her today for the first time. Looking like she might go home tomorrow as long as she continues to hold her numbers. Damn she’s cute too. Side note - if you aren’t yet a grandparent, once you get there you feel WAY too young and immature to be a grandparent. I still laugh at farts. 

Great. Disregard the comment above yours. I read this thread on my phone during the game and responded because I thought that I was in the game thread. So AD caught a touchdown pass while I had this thread open which of course brought good luck to your grandchild. In a way, you should thank the Longhorns for her recovery.

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Baby off oxygen, off feeding tube, and grandpa got to see her today for the first time. Looking like she might go home tomorrow as long as she continues to hold her numbers. Damn she’s cute too. Side note - if you aren’t yet a grandparent, once you get there you feel WAY too young and immature to be a grandparent. I still laugh at farts. 

Love this good news.  Even more than I loved Saturday night's result (but only a TOUCH more...).  Good on daughter, good on granddaughter.

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Has it occurred to your immature self that the reason you keep farting is because you're laughing so hard?  Fucking amateur hour over there.  

Glad to hear things are progressing.  Like most of you, I have received infinite amounts of parenting advice that have proved worthless.  Only three bits ring true to this day.  One of which is "One day you will pick up your child for the last time, but you will not know it at the time.  And you won't be able to recall it no matter how hard you try."  

Well Dbeasy, let me give you a piece of grand-parenting advice.  One day this week, you will get to pick up your grandchild for the first time.  You will know it's the first time because of what you have all been through this past week.  But remember the moment, carry it with you always.  And stop fucking coughing into your hand.

• Hook 'Em 2