Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

He is still trying to figure out his direction. He has loved his geology classes so far, but hasn't made exceptional grades on them.  If you go to UT Jackson School, does it help your chances getting into their graduate program? 

It should but the key is to get in good with the professors that teach the courses the last 2 years (or on the 660 field trip).  In general, they would rather have a grad student they know vs someone coming in from outside...

(The 660 field trip for 6 weeks was probably the best time I had in the department and I've made lifetime friends from it... Only 3 of us that went on the field trip went on to get geology masters and only 2 of us are still employed in the E&P industry... On the flip side, a recently retired prof told me that the majority of kids with a BS move to other fields post graduation but have been very successful because employers appreciate critical and analytical thinking skills you learn as an undergraduate...)

My youngest just finished his first year at Arkansas and is in Walton.  He knew following his older brother to UT was probably not going to be in the cards and he did not want to go to A&M or Tech.  He's enjoyed it.  Fayetteville is a great college town and reminds me of what Austin was like in the early 80's when I was a kid.  Another nice thing is that Arkansas does not have a separate approval for your major.  Once accepted you can choose any major.  There are requirements to stay in your major.  For Walton you have to keep a 2.5 or better in the business introductory classes (not too hard with some effort).

Arkansas is growing fast and is getting a little crowded and this has made the natives restless when it comes to all the out of state students (especially Texans).  The discount to out of state students is not as nice as it was a few years ago and will probably continue to be less generous.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/22/2024 at 1:06 PM, HookEm said:

My daughter is going to Arkansas in the fall.  She was borderline at UT and got CAP.  Decided instead to go up there and enjoy the full college experience and great smaller town vibe. She is going to double major in Finance and Supply Chain.  Arkansas has a top-3 supply chain program in the country, I'm sure aided by their close working with Walmart and the many other businesses up there.

My son is at UT studying geology. In some ways I think my daughter will get the better college experience.

All-in, the price will be about the same for both of them.  Hit me up on DM if you want more info on Arkansas.  It is a great option if you want in-state prices and big college feel, but don't want to go Aggy or Red Raider.

Arkansas is a beautiful beautiful state 

but the people …..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, HookEm said:

I am sure it has gotten more selective, but part of that selection process is a HEAVY bias toward legacy applicants.  My daughter has zero connection to aggy (thankfully) and didn't even get into Team Blinn, despite being ~ top 12% from a highly regarded HS with a 1290 SAT.  My son was about the same (maybe a little worse actually) and got into UT, but did not get accepted to aggy.  I attribute this to an excellent essay.

Meanwhile they both have a number of friends who got accepted with significantly worse academic and extracurricular achievements with the only difference being that they have aggy family.

He is still trying to figure out his direction. He has loved his geology classes so far, but hasn't made exceptional grades on them.  If you go to UT Jackson School, does it help your chances getting into their graduate program? 

I have 4 college buddies that went the mud engineer route out of school. You learn a damn lot about drilling. 4/4, extremely successful career tracks. They could have all retired before 50. Network like mad, and don’t wreck company vehicles 

Edited by tx 3 putt

46 minutes ago, North of Walburg said:

My youngest just finished his first year at Arkansas and is in Walton.  He knew following his older brother to UT was probably not going to be in the cards and he did not want to go to A&M or Tech.  He's enjoyed it.  Fayetteville is a great college town and reminds me of what Austin was like in the early 80's when I was a kid.  Another nice thing is that Arkansas does not have a separate approval for your major.  Once accepted you can choose any major.  There are requirements to stay in your major.  For Walton you have to keep a 2.5 or better in the business introductory classes (not too hard with some effort).

I know it’s fun to give OU and Arky shit but compared to Lubbock and College Station they are way better options as far as things to do and campus life.

All of the big state schools in Texas have fucking terrible campuses and towns besides Texas and Texas State. I’d like to throw UNT in there but an 14 lane highway cuts right through the middle of everything. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, yoladu said:

If that is a weighted GPA and in a fairly reputable HS, then yes, likely.

Typo-3.5 (not 3.7) weighted GPA and their school has the district STEM program which didn’t help my “scholar” twin who would have made top 5% if he would have transferred to a neighboring high school. (One B in 4 years but hurt ranking by only taking 2AP classes the first 2 years…)

14 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I know it’s fun to give OU and Arky shit but compared to Lubbock and College Station they are way better options as far as things to do and campus life.

All of the big state schools in Texas have fucking terrible campuses and towns besides Texas and Texas State. I’d like to throw UNT in there but an 14 lane highway cuts right through the middle of everything. 

makes it easy to get out of town

funny thing about college kids, they find something to do and have fun no matter where they’re at 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Arkansas is a beautiful beautiful state 

but the people …..

Went on a canoeing trip to the Buffalo River with a bunch of buddies a few years back. We were stocking up on stuff at the last store before we basically left civilization and there was this toothless old hillbilly mulling around the parking lot with one shoe. I said " hey bud looks like you lost a shoe" and he said " nope, I found one"

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Went on a canoeing trip to the Buffalo River with a bunch of buddies a few years back. We were stocking up on stuff at the last store before we basically left civilization and there was this toothless old hillbilly mulling around the parking lot with one shoe. I said " hey bud looks like you lost a shoe" and he said " nope, I found one"

glass half full kind of guy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2