2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

Some interesting stats from Nate in here

"Even when looking at scramble rate instead of just raw data, Daniels has one of the highest numbers on record. His 14.1% scramble rate ranks third among the 196 qualifying quarterbacks since 2019, only below Liberty quarterbacks Malik Willis and Kaidon Salter, both players known for their poor pocket management and run-first styles."

"Daniels threw over the intermediate part of the field (10-22 yards) and between the numbers on only 9.3% of his dropbacks, which ranked 163rd out of 196 qualifying college quarterbacks since 2019. The only quarterback to be drafted in the first two rounds to have a lower rate since 2020 was Justin Fields at 8.1%, and that's still an aspect of the game that Fields struggles with despite having more arm strength than Daniels."

"Daniels also has times when he won’t push for the deeper option on a high-low concept and default to something underneath, which is reflected in his air yards to the sticks metric that looks at the average difference in air yards to the target and the first-down marker. Daniels' number in this metric was negative over his career, which doesn’t put him in the greatest company among recent highly drafted prospects at the position. "

"When you see how Daniels attacks and pair it with his career sack rate of 8.5% and pressure to sack rate (the amount of pressures that resulted in a sack) of 24.5%, I do have some concerns about how Daniels will mitigate those negative plays within the structure of the offense. Those sack metrics are generally sticky for quarterback prospects when they move to the next level and Daniels' numbers rank second-highest among the same group of early round QB prospects since 2020."

"Even the slightest amount of pressure will cause Daniels’ eyes to come down in the pocket and start looking for running lanes: only 50.6% of his pressured dropbacks resulted in a pass attempt, ranking 193rd out of 196 qualifying quarterbacks since 2019. If Daniels gets moved off of his launch point, he is looking to run; 25% of his pressured dropbacks resulted in a scramble! When Daniels escapes outside of the pocket? He looks to run. Daniels had 83 dropbacks where he ended up outside the pocket in 2023 and 36 of those dropbacks resulted in a scramble. That means 43.4% of the time Daniels left the pocket, he was scrambling. Not that those ended up as bad results; his success rate on those plays was nearly 70%, but always looking to run is near-impossible to do as a long-term NFL starter. Even Lamar Jackson, a player Daniels has been compared to, was a big-game hunter when coming out of Louisville with a love for firing throws over the middle, while also being heavier and a more creative runner."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve been in Chicagoland the past 24 hours.  SPorts radio is Justin Fields, all day.

Imagine going from Mitchell Trubisky to Fields to Cale…welp, the next possible washout at QB for the Bears.

Edited by slorch

ESPN NFL Draft Combine Preview (paywalled but I'll add the stuff about Texas players): https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39615348/2024-nfl-draft-combine-workouts-preview-top-prospects-predictions

Spoiler

Name your five-man track team that will light up the 40-yard dash.

Miller: Texas receiver Xavier Worthy, Clemson cornerback Nate Wiggins, Oregon State receiver Anthony Gould, Toledo cornerback Quinyon Mitchell and Michigan receiver Roman Wilson. I'd happily take this 2024 draft class team to the Olympics. Each player is rumored to have run something in at least the 4.3s during pre-combine workouts, and Worthy and Wiggins both have 4.2s buzz around their names. But Gould is the real sleeper here. The wideout was clocked by team scouts in the 4.3s before last season began, and a few months of speed training could have him turning heads.

Which prospect's measurements will teams be paying close attention to in Indy?

Kiper: I have two for you. The first is the weight of Texas defensive tackle T'Vondre Sweat, who didn't get on the scale at the Senior Bowl last month. Sweat, my second-ranked defensive tackle, was listed at 362 pounds this past season -- and he dominated at that size. Will he come in leaner to try to boost his workout times? Ideally, he'd be similar to his playing weight, but I understand why he might be closer to 340 in Indianapolis. Sweat moves really well for his stature, but stamina is important for nose tackles who might not be three-down players.

Give us your best prediction for combine week.

Miller: Texas defensive tackle Byron Murphy II will turn in an all-around performance that will put him in the "first defender off the board" conversation. My No. 13-ranked player, Murphy pops on tape as a fast, sudden mover with rare strength at the point of attack. The 6-foot-1, 308-pounder easily moves around offensive linemen and has the quickness to jump into the backfield. That will show up in workouts, where sources say Murphy could run in the 4.8-second range in the 40-yard dash. In a draft class light on defensive talent at the top, Murphy could easily become the first defender drafted with a strong workout, especially at a premium position.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Fucking Kurt Warner; what did your fucking college film look like, undrafted Arena League boy? Give Olympia Dukakis an extra thrust for me tonight, you fucking self-righteous jerkoff….

Making a career out of handing the ball off or throwing swing passes to Marshall Faulk gives him unimaginable insight into what makes a good NFL QB that we just can’t have.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Making a career out of handing the ball off or throwing swing passes to Marshall Faulk gives him unimaginable insight into what makes a good NFL QB that we just can’t have.

He has the highest single-season yards per attempt average since the 1950s (9.9 in 2000). 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Murphy just ran a 4.88 in the 40 - 3rd fastest in his group.

T’Sweat ran a 5.27 :)

1.8 10 yard is great for his size 

5 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Sweat probably just secured a 1st day pick

Murphy may have just punched his ticket to the top 10

all this still depends on the rest of the combine 

Murphy will test insane everywhere else imo

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

Eh

Did you just see his bag drills?? 

you know how many teams need a run stuffers (Browns, Vikings, Bengals, Cowboys ect) 

His biggest caution was movement and motor. Well I think the movement doubters can probably lay it to rest 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Did you just see his bag drills?? 

His biggest caution was movement and motor. Well I think the movement doubters can probably lay it to rest 

The reason most likely to keep him from the first round would be inability to rush the passer consistently, and today probably made him appear to be more of a dominant run stuffer who'll help out in pass rush every once in awhile

I'm not saying he won't be drafted in the first, but I don't think he's a lock by any means

• Hook 'Em 2

The problem with trying to fit Murphy into the top ten is seven of those spots are already very likely locked up by four QBs and three WRs. There's a decent chance at least one OT (Alt) goes top then, and after the measurables today, Dallas Turner seems likely to be in there too. There's also a chance someone falls in love with Brock Bowers

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

like why would anyone trade for Justin Fields?

I’d think Atlanta with Fields and having some pieces (decent OL, Bijan, Drake, Pitts) and getting rid of Arthur Smith would be solid.  Fields has shown a few flashes and is definite upgrade over whoever Atlanta played at QB last year