3rd and 9

Vic Mackey

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely putrid playcalling on this play. Ewers has been 1 incompletion from perfect after a poor start. OU had no answer for our passing game and you call that play? You don't even give Ewers a shot to put this game away. Sark played for the FG. I did think he was going to nut up and go for it on 4th down and maybe that 3rd down play call made sense but nope. Sark was playing for a damn near 50yd FG with a ton of time left to only be up 3.

I agree. Bowman and their starting cb were both out. Go get the first down. So bad. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Smax said:

1st and goal on the 1 enters the chat

This.

27-20 was the score and you'd have to be crazy to think OU wouldn't score again.  So get some points.

The running into the kicker penalty resulted in a TD as well.  

We played horribly.  The team looked scared in the first half.  '91 Cotton Bowl vibes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We lost this game on 3 turnovers and the  goal to go turnover on downs. 

Wrong . Even with all that we had control of the game at the end..just needed another first down instead we played for a long field goal with a unreliable kicker. Glad he made but to put it in his shoulders 47 yards out was ridiculous. Pussy ass play calling
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Tracer Bullet said:

We lost this game on 3 turnovers and the  goal to go turnover on downs. 

I mean maybe but we made up for all that and tied it and got the ball back. All erased and one drive to end this game and get the biggest win in a very long time (yes, way bigger than Bama) and that is the call on 3rd and 9.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't see any avenue for disagreement. He played too conservative and set the tone for the failed defensive effort on the losing drive.

Down a CB, Key Lawrence was giving Mitchell a 20 yard cushion.

Almost as ridiculous as the sweat/Murphy goalline failure from the 1.

Edited by pacman

Just now, 4th&Five said:

First turnover they scored off of. 
Second turnover led to the blocked punt. 
Third turnover led to a 3 and out. 

Turnovers didn’t kill us as much as the other braindead decisions and mistakes. 

Ewers settled down and played like a Heisman candidate after his poor start. those turnovers hurt but we settled down and overcame those.

Sark didn't want the ball in Ewers hands at the end. We ran the ball. This wasn't 3rd and 2. this was 3rd and 9. Seemed the goal was to have OU use their last timeout and kick a FG. Loser mentality. When we came out to go for it on 4th, I was like "ok, that 3rd down call makes a little more sense". Nope. It was just a bluff to try and draw them off.

I absolutely wanted him to go for that 4th down. Go take control of the game right there. We could have gotten 4 yards in our sleep at that point. OU had zero answer for us. 

• Hook 'Em 5

This was the play that it all came down to. When you stop and consider all of the other terrible shit that happened before, it was a miracle that we had one play and a chance to go for the win. Sark didn’t take it and you really have to question if he understands what it takes in those moments going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Needed this coversion. It was the game and it was obvious at the time. We convert it and proceed to gain zero yards we probably win.

Usually when Sark runs on 3rd it is because he plans on going for it on 4th. But him doing it just to get it in the middle of the field for a low percentage FG with tons of time left?

Odd considering how Sark usually does the big gamble and we were something like 4/4 on 4th down.

Agree that that was a game losing call. 

Anybody knew that going up by 3 with over minute to play is a risky scenario to be in in 21st Century football. If Sark had gone for it on 4th down there, I wouldn't have disapproved. I hope he realizes that going forward.

I guess on the positive end, it was nice to see Bert be nails on a big kick. We might need that out of him later.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Needed this coversion. It was the game and it was obvious at the time. We convert it and proceed to gain zero yards we probably win.

Usually when Sark runs on 3rd it is because he plans on going for it on 4th. But him doing it just to get it in the middle of the field for a low percentage FG with tons of time left?

Odd considering how Sark usually does the big gamble and we were something like 4/4 on 4th down.

Agree that that was a game losing call. 

Anybody knew that going up by 3 with over minute to play is a risky scenario to be in in 21st Century football. If Sark had gone for it on 4th down there, I wouldn't have disapproved. I hope he realizes that going forward.

I guess on the positive end, it was nice to see Bert be nails on a big kick. We might need that out of him later.

I just don't get going for it all game but at that point, with Ewers playing maybe the best we have seen, and you send in the FG unit on 4th? This wasn't some chip shot. Even making it was a big if, especially in college.  I would have bowed down and gave him all his flowers if he sent Ewers out there on 4th down there to tell OU 'we aren't scared of you and we came to win this'. Would have been one of the biggest let your nuts hang we have seen here in a very long time. But nope, we settle for a damn near 50yd FG. 

And like you said, this is the new day of football. Moving the ball down the length of the field with 1-2 minutes left is normal. That's why I wasn't even that excited when we made it. I was happy for carrot top because he came up huge when called on but I had a sinking feeling what was about to come.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

You mean when the OU defender hand a hand full of facemask?

Sucks but this is weak, face masks, holds happen that aren't called happen a lot in football, its just how it is. We can pick any game, go over tape and we will find numerous missed holds and face masks by Texas as well

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smax said:

Sucks but this is weak, face masks, holds happen that aren't called happen a lot in football, its just how it is. We can pick any game, go over tape and we will find numerous missed holds and face masks by Texas as well

Find three plays this season where we grabbed a facemask and it was uncalled

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Find three plays this season where we grabbed a facemask and it was uncalled

I dont have access to tape nor the desire or time to go through it

edited because I misread youre reply

Edited by Smax

The whole drive had no coherent clock management strategy. We ran hurry up and then slowed it down. And randomly snapped it with different time on the clock. 

The drive was working great. You had to go fast to start in case you got behind schedule. Once we were in range we slowed it down to bleed TO’s and the clock. The fatal mistake was the decision to play it safe on 3rd down. You could also say that Quinn needed to hand it off on first down.

But bottom line is that the game was there to win and Sark went conservative. Says a lot about his character and his lack of confidence.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Amazing people criticizing a call that winds up with us scoring and taking the lead with just over a minute left in the game.

Give me a fucking break. This board crucified Norvell for not playing to win against CU but somehow we’re supposed to give Sark a pass for doing the same thing? A 3 point lead with over a minute to play is hardly insurmountable. Now, if the clock had been at 45 seconds it’s a completely different story.

That was the wrong call in the moment and it’s even easier to see why it was the wrong call given how things played out.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, RichUT said:

Give me a fucking break. This board crucified Norvell for not playing to win against CU but somehow we’re supposed to give Sark a pass for doing the same thing? A 3 point lead with over a minute to play is hardly insurmountable. Now, if the clock had been at 45 seconds it’s a completely different story.

That was the wrong call in the moment and it’s even easier to see why it was the wrong call given how things played out.

Knowing that we would wind up losing the game I am confident that Sark would call it differently. 

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Amazing people criticizing a call that winds up with us scoring and taking the lead with just over a minute left in the game.

But you take the ball out of the hands of the guy who was playing at a Heisman level. And not to kick a gimme FG. An almost 50 yarder. The fact he didn't even attempt to get the 1st down. That call was nothing more than to get OU to call their final timeout. That isn't playing to win. 

12 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If you've missed seeing OU this year, a minute is an eternity for their offense.  Leaving any time on the clock for them with the game on the line is a bone-headed move.  We had receivers open the entire second half and Quinn was hitting them.  We had two downs to throw it beyond the sticks and if one converts, the game is essentially sealed.

44 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely putrid playcalling on this play. Ewers has been 1 incompletion from perfect after a poor start. OU had no answer for our passing game and you call that play? You don't even give Ewers a shot to put this game away. Sark played for the FG. I did think he was going to nut up and go for it on 4th down and maybe that 3rd down play call made sense but nope. Sark was playing for a damn near 50yd FG with a ton of time left to only be up 3.

Yeah I was assuming we were going for it. Couldn’t believe we kicked that and gave up control of the outcome. Props to Bert for hitting it but cmon Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

If you've missed seeing OU this year, a minute is an eternity for their offense.  Leaving any time on the clock for them with the game on the line is a bone-headed move.  We had receivers open the entire second half and Quinn was hitting them.  We had two downs to throw it beyond the sticks and if one converts, the game is essentially sealed.

It hardly matters, if he threw it there and went for it on 4th everyone here would be saying the same shit about what a dumb call that was. The only good calls are the ones that result in touchdowns and we lost the game so every call was bad.

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Obviously the defense could have saved the day but there was about a 80% chance OU at least gets it in field goal range with that much time left.

We get that first down, that threat goes away.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

People gonna hate on Sark and it wasn't the best call although we DID score and take the lead.  Can't say for certain what woulda/coulda/shoulda happened otherwise.

Other choke moments in the game:

* JT Sanders having the ball in his hands and not being able to come down with the TD in the first half

* Dropped INT in the endzone

* Ewers 1st INT which was braindead

* Ewers fumble/not sliding

* Entire D-line not being able to get pressure after all we heard was how we outclassed them at the line of scrimmage on D-line

* 1st and goal from the 1 yard line turning it over on downs after we heard how we outclassed them at the line of scrimmage on O-line

* Multiple lack of focus pre-snap (e.g. not biased/opinion-based/Rig XII) penalties

* Lack of PK adjustments to DGs scramble.

We played timid and scared.  We looked shocked at the physicality of OU.  Our vaunted line of scrimmage play was ass.  JT's injury hurt, and i'm sure Major's did as well.  Credit to the OU fuckfaces for executing, we didn't.  If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with the stuff above we could have won by 10-14.  But we did, they didn't and we lost.  Now we need to win out and hope to see OU again in Dallas for the BigXII championship and just play better.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

It hardly matters, if he threw it there and went for it on 4th everyone here would be saying the same shit about what a dumb call that was. The only good calls are the ones that result in touchdowns and we lost the game so every call was bad.

so is it still amazing that people are criticizing playing for a 47 yard field goal with 90 seconds left? Hard to keep up with your argument here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Throw for it on 3rd, if you don’t make it, kick the fg. It’s not rocket science. We’re talking 1:22 on the clock not 40 secs

I didn’t hate the 3rd down call. Running on the offense late on that 4th down was genius. OU had the FG block team out, no timeouts, and was in full on panic mode trying to get lined up. Sark took advantage of that by… calling a TO and running the FG team out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

But then you're assuming there's two straight incompletions or plays that can't net 9 yards when we've hit a staggering percentage of passes in the mid-to late second half.  The key thing is to not leave over a minute (or any time, really) to OU's offense with a chance to win it, and he failed at that.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

The regards would’ve criticized a failed 4th down for sure… but OU would’ve played less aggressively in a tie game. Kicking that FG with that much time left is just the wrong call. 

Really, we lost this game when majors got hurt and a RS freshman had to play center… we’ll win the rematch 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Haven't seen it mentioned but in addition to that play call, not putting the ensuing kickoff on the ground to burn more time and at the very least, make them think and/ or be uncomfortable with the situation was bad game management. 

"Oooh shit, we're up by 3 and giving it back with over a minute. Their offense is basically a 2 minute drill at all times... hmm... Welp, let's just kick it out of the end zone and concede 25% of the field. That'll show'em!"

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I honestly would not have, I would have defended Sark if he went for it on 4th and didn't make it. This has nothing really to do with my Texas fandom and just how football is now. Scoring too fast is a classic way to lose games now.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

The regards would’ve criticized a failed 4th down for sure… but OU would’ve played less aggressively in a tie game. Kicking that FG with that much time left is just the wrong call. 

Really, we lost this game when majors got hurt and a RS freshman had to play center… we’ll win the rematch 

That’s a really interesting take BUT too close to a winning FG had we missed the 4th down imo. Ou would have pressed for the game winning FG.

you are 100% correct about Majors. 

shit this was a one play game. One play. You could pick 5-6 plays and reverse one or have a facemask properly called and it goes much different. Throw on 3rd and goal from the 1, the first INT, sack Gabriel on the last drive when two guys had him. The list goes on and on. It was a one play game.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1