Texas Bye Week 2023

immamac

Best case for Texas this bye week
- Houston beats WVU. I don't think WVU is going to finish with only one conference loss but they could feasibly beat the remaining teams on their schedule besides OU and cause a headache in the B12 championship race.
- Tennessee beats A&M because lol
- Kansas beats Ok St. Kansas remaining ranked is helpful although I don't know that our SOS really needs much help
- BYU/TCU don't know that the result matters but should be an instructive game as both teams are on our remaining schedule.
- TTU/K State is in the same boat as BYU/TCU
- Wyoming beats Air Force. Could be another sneaky ranked team that Texas has a win over.
- Miami beats UNC. I don't want any BS with the three ACC teams at the top muddying the CFP race
- Notre Dame over USC. Same as above

Decent amount of games with some intrigue for Texas

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, C'Mon Man said:

- Houston beats WVU. I don't think WVU is going to finish with only one conference loss but they could feasibly beat the remaining teams on their schedule besides OU and cause a headache in the B12 championship race.
- Kansas beats Ok St. Kansas remaining ranked is helpful although I don't know that our SOS really needs much help
- BYU/TCU don't know that the result matters but should be an instructive game as both teams are on our remaining schedule.
- Wyoming beats Air Force. Could be another sneaky ranked team that Texas has a win over.
- Miami beats UNC. I don't want any BS with the three ACC teams at the top muddying the CFP race

And hopefully Dillon Gabriel gets arrested for something and the video of him running from police gets released.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, C'Mon Man said:

image.png.8b5195fed87f2676629c4b02db0ff03e.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

IT team update on the progress of the 2023 class

Spoiler

In keeping with the same approach as last year, Steve Sarkisian used the bye week to work towards improving depth. His way of doing that was to give the starters rest while practicing the twos and threes pretty hard. It resulted in an energetic, competitive week as players received increased reps and were able to improve their standing within the program.

This is the perfect time to discuss where the members of the 2023 class are at in their development. 

The staff loved this class when it signed, then loved it even more once the 14 early enrollees arrived. The excitement further increased once the balance of the class arrived in late May. After a full Summer, including August camp, and now six games, its safe to say the staff believes it hit a grand slam with this group.

But a few caveats apply. These are young men and young men all mature at different rates. Some are still in need of maturing as they continue to adapt to college life. A couple could probably us a good humbling that will come at some point. 

It’s no coincidence the freshmen who receive the most snaps appear to be the most dialed in — guys like Anthony Hill, Malik Muhammad, CJ Baxter, etc. It’s human nature, those who know they aren’t going to play don’t give as much effort as those who are being counted on.

These insider notes are almost entirely positive, though. 

Here’s what inside sources are saying about the 2023 signees. 

LB Anthony Hill: Just scratching the surface, three-and-done, head is in the right place and has been that way since he arrived. Just a locked in guy. Right on time to be a difference maker off-the-ball next year. 

LB Derion Gullette: Tons of potential, big offseason awaits. Still a freak athlete after the (ACL) injury. The forecast remains Will/Dime ‘backer behind Hill.

LB S’Maje Burrell: Coming along, has improved considerably, good player who will get better. Probably the Mike linebacker behind Liona Lefau next year.

LB Liona Lefau: Already come a long way and will be ready to start next year. Gets better every day. Super hard worker. Natural fit for Mike. Starter next year. They hit the evaluation.

DB Jelani McDonald: Bright future, awesome kid, super talented. Still not sure what exact position will be. Probably safety or linebacker. Interesting offseason to see where his body goes. 

DB Derek Williams: Really smart given lack of experience, picked up defense quick. Hard worker. Going to be really good, possible three-year player. Advanced for experience but still plenty of improvement to be made. Sees the field well. Perfect for SEC, can cover and hit. 

DB Warren Roberson: Very athletic. Has all the athleticism to become an NFL guy. Body type says Star but can play man at corner. They like him at Star long-term. He’s not on the quickest developmental path.

CB Malik Muhammad: Very instinctive, way ahead mentally for being a freshman. Everything is in front of him, he just can’t get complacent and he won’t. He’s a motivated kid. Starter next year.

DT Sydir Mitchell: Coming along, still needs to reshape but trending in the right direction. Needs to get quicker, faster, stronger, and just physically mature. He’s going to figure it out. Coming along mentally.

Edge Billy Walton: Needs to gain more weight. Tons of energy. Loves football. Pretty natural pass rusher, good hands and bend. Will look different with a full offseason. 

Edge Colton Vasek: Going to be really good. Hard worker. Amazing frame, has the chance to be really special. Needs to stay healthy. Has had minor issue of late, should return soon.

Edge Tausili Akana: Needs to get bigger and stronger. Has really impressive pass rushing skills, he’s a natural in that regard. They prefer him at Edge but he has to be able to set the edge first. Sort of a tweener but has skills and will eventually find a position. 

WR Johntay Cook: Really hard worker, a lot of talent, tons of potential. Wide receiver personality but really wants to win. Starter next year. Possible three-year player.

WR DeAndre Moore: Potential, chance to be great. Speed is there. Route running continually improves. Starter next year. 

WR Ryan Niblett: Super fast. Needs to improve routes, consistency with hands. Well-liked and respected.

RB CJ Baxter: Locker room guy. Adapted to UT really quick. Responsible away from the field like Bijan Robinson. Tons of potential given size and speed. Needs to get 100% healthy and play a little faster.

RB Tre Wisner: Natural football player, loves the game. Effort shows on special teams. Still learning running back on a college level. Worth ethic will get him there.

TE Spencer Shannon: Still a long way to go but has the frame. Big offseason for him. Lots of potential but needs to improve as a blocker (he’s okay there) and receiver to become well-rounded. Can become more than a blocking TE with better route running and coordination (that will come with increased strength). 

TE Will Randle: Very hard worker, team-first attitude, has a long way to go physically, needs to physically mature. Big offseason for him, too.

LT Trevor Goosby: The most upside of the O-line with the most athleticism. Good feet, needs to get more physical. That will come with strength. Currently around 295 pounds which is a solid starting point. Great work ethic.

OT/OG Payton Kirkland: Very athletic for his size, still needs to get better at taking advantage of his size. He’s a threat for playing time next year if he plays with more urgency.

RT Jaydon Chatman: Athletic with good feet, needs technical work (they all do) and to get stronger at point of attack (that’s normal).

OG Connor Stroh: Strong, can become a good run-blocker. Needs to get quicker in pass-pro. Hard worker.

OG Andre Cojoe: Arrived very young, no surprise he needs the most work. Already lost a lot of bad weight. Gets downhill run-blocking well, needs to get stronger and more comfortable in pass-pro.

QB Arch Manning: Strong arm, hard worker, will be special. Processing quicker by the day and it was already fast. Three-year player. He’s received a lot of work with the twos throughout the season, not just this past week. Feeling is Texas can win a game with either Maalik Murphy or Arch if need be.

There’s the belief that 10-12 of these guys will be drafted and more will find their way into NFL camps.

• Hook 'Em 7

On 10/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, gmr548 said:

This is texags grade copium.

I knew not everyone would agree with me, but damn that stings. I stand by what I said, though. I'll just clarify one thing: I didn't go into the game hoping we'd lose. I just meant after all the weaknesses that were exposed throughout the game, I'm glad we're forced to focus on those issues and find a way to fix them. If we run the table including a rematch victory in the Big 12 title game, there's no way we won't collectively look back and think of the loss as a net positive on the season. In addition to our weaknesses that were exposed, look at all of the bulletin board material we've gotten from OU since the game ended (Texas fears OU shirts, etc.). Maybe I'm wrong and the loss will derail our season, but I'm still optimistic that it'll fortify the team and lead to a butt fucking in the rematch. We'll find out soon enough if I'm right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stupid bye week discussion: Is it too early to start talking about potential attrition and who seems to be buried on the depth at the halfway point? Portal opens up in like 50 days.

QB- Probably none

RB- Blue (almost transferred last offseason, doesn't seem to be in the circle of trust)

WR- Neyor (seems to be trending that way) and Cain? (grad transfer maybe?)

TE- Davis? (Is it ever going to click? Been 3 years and we will surely be hitting the portal here to pair someone with Helm)

OL- Merril, Goram-Welch? I guess it's possible one of the current freshman OL doesn't see a path and peels out early.

DL- Swanson? 

Edge- Don't really see an obvious departure here

LB- Same as edge

DB- LTG and BJ Allen seem like obvious candidates. Kitan Crawford grad transfer maybe? Don't hear much about Xa'vion Brice but we are a little thin at CB so maybe he sticks it out another year

I guess it is a good thing that there doesn't seem to be a ton of dead weight on this roster.

Merril hasn't been booted out since his mom is a huge donor, but he's got to be graduating, right? He can get playing time (maybe) and a good degree at Rice or SMU and get on with his life.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Merril hasn't been booted out since his mom is a huge donor, but he's got to be graduating, right? He can get playing time (maybe) and a good degree at Rice or SMU and get on with his life.

This is his 3rd year, so who knows if he is close to graduating or not. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Sort of feel bad for the guy, outside of the whole free education at Texas thing. He never had any business getting a scholarship offer here. 

Those were dark times. 

Man that was when Hand was throwing out OL offers to every loaf of bread in Texas begging for a commitment.

This will be quick.

Finally over the loss. Was mad at Ewers early turnovers and stupidly blamed the loss on him. The loss was on the whole team. Nearly everyone made mistakes. But the team played below expectations and still showed they can compete with anyone. No doubt in my mind this team comes out ready to play after the bye. The next stretch of three games will show if the team is discombobulated or if they have that strong backbone most suspected to get us into the CFP. I'm with the latter.

Hook em

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry if this is already mentioned to death but it's kinda cool how we are the only top 10 team with 1 loss.  

Also Alabama not too far behind at 11.

The value win factor already heavily in our favor as if we are already in the secsec.  Bodes well for future overall season performance 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Man, I am struggling to shake this loss. It’s been almost as bad as the 2009 title game.

It’s because it was OU that beat us. I hate to think OU yet again made a better coaching hire after Texas hired a new coach. I refuse to believe Venables doesn’t suck. But man I am sick and tired of losing to OU 75%+ of the time, especially when we were lined up for a title run. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

One thing I’d love to see in the second half of the season is a better package for short yardage situations. The QB sneak is the one of the best plays for those situations, but I can understand why we’re not eager to do it with a 195 pound quarterback. I’d love to see us run Malik out to take those snaps, and I think we could have a very successful “tush push” formation (even though I hate that name) with our big bodies. Plus opposing defenses would always have to respect the possibility that we could roll Malik out of that formation for an RPO. Either that, or I’d love to see us try that trick play we tried against Bama (snap the ball through Quinn’s legs to Sanders). Our inability to move the ball 1 yard on 4 tries was obviously a glaring reason we lost to OU, so I think it’s likely Sark will draw up something new for those situations in the second half of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

One thing I’d love to see in the second half of the season is a better package for short yardage situations. The QB sneak is the one of the best plays for those situations, but I can understand why we’re not eager to do it with a 195 pound quarterback. I’d love to see us run Malik out to take those snaps, and I think we could have a very successful “tush push” formation (even though I hate that name) with our big bodies. Plus opposing defenses would always have to respect the possibility that we could roll Malik out of that formation for an RPO. Either that, or I’d love to see us try that trick play we tried against Bama (snap the ball through Quinn’s legs to Sanders). Our inability to move the ball 1 yard on 4 tries was obviously a glaring reason we lost to OU, so I think it’s likely Sark will draw up something new for those situations in the second half of the season. 

Maalik is likely the 3rd most athletic QB on the roster. There is no evidence he has the strength and athleticism to convert those short yardage situations.

And lol that play against Bama was not a trick play. That was us trying to do the tush push. Quinn fumbled the snap which is probably why we haven’t tried it since.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Tush Push is deadly in Philly, not only because of Jalen Hurts. They also have arguably the best OL in the NFL and an All Pro center… that is slightly different than what Texas sends out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maalik is likely the 3rd most athletic QB on the roster. There is no evidence he has the strength and athleticism to convert those short yardage situations.

And lol that play against Bama was not a trick play. That was us trying to do the tush push. Quinn fumbled the snap which is probably why we haven’t tried it since.

Malik is also by far the biggest skill player on our team. You don’t have to be athletic to be good at a QB sneak, but it certainly helps to be bigger than 6’1”, 195 lbs. Look up Tom Brady’s stats if you don’t believe me. 

Also, you’ll never convince me the play against Bama wasn’t a trick play. JT stopped behind Quinn and put his hands up under Quinn’s ass like a QB does under center. Quinn also dove forward without even attempting to grab the ball off the center’s hands. I don’t have personal knowledge of the play design/call, but I watched the slow motion replay enough times to be convinced that was a trick play.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think we should have Quinn and Red in the same formation, spreading them out, then we can shift into Red getting the snap with two guys behind him that aren't Quinn.

If they come out heavy, we can do RPOs or 11/12 personnel stuff. If they come out light, Shift Helm/Agbo and another guy back there to push Red into the endzone.

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 1

This will be quick.
Finally over the loss. Was mad at Ewers early turnovers and stupidly blamed the loss on him. The loss was on the whole team. Nearly everyone made mistakes. But the team played below expectations and still showed they can compete with anyone. No doubt in my mind this team comes out ready to play after the bye. The next stretch of three games will show if the team is discombobulated or if they have that strong backbone most suspected to get us into the CFP. I'm with the latter.
Hook em

Texas lost the game a dozen different ways on the field and on the headsets. We’ll remember the early Ewers INT, 0 points from 1st/goal from the 1, and kicking the FG instead of going for it on 4th down and then the prevent you from winning defense on the last possession; but any number of things beyond those could have changed the outcome.
Man, I am struggling to shake this loss. It’s been almost as bad as the 2009 title game.
It’s because it was OU that beat us. I hate to think OU yet again made a better coaching hire after Texas hired a new coach. I refuse to believe Venables doesn’t suck. But man I am sick and tired of losing to OU 75%+ of the time, especially when we were lined up for a title run. 

I think it’s both. This team is visibly better in so many ways and no doubt has the potential to win actual hardware, and yet still consistently found ways to lose in the biggest game of the year. And it happened against OU, which after the last decade+ is really the only game that can still get an emotional reaction out of many of us.
  • Hook 'Em 2

That game fucked me up for a good 48 hours. I was not in a good mental state there for awhile. 

It was a lot of things, but a big part was that we did everything we could to give the game away.... and were still winning with a minute to go. And then bad things happened.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That game fucked me up for a good 48 hours. I was not in a good mental state there for awhile. 

It was a lot of things, but a big part was that we did everything we could to give the game away.... and were still winning with a minute to go. And then bad things happened.

Same. That goal line series and our defense on the last drive bothered me for several days. I hope we learn from it and take care of business.

It is somewhat refreshing to react to a loss in this manner, opposed to the immediate apathy that followed most of our losses in the 2010-2022 era.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Same. That goal line series and our defense on the last drive bothered me for several days. I hope we learn from it and take care of business.

It is somewhat refreshing to react to a loss in this manner, opposed to the immediate apathy that followed most of our losses in the 2010-2022 era.

This is true. My “give a shit” factor had been been steadily declining every year for the last decade and this was the first game that really really mattered. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What has been the story with Holmes? I thought he was rated by PFF as one of the best in the ACC or country and he can barely get on the field here and when he does get in he is just so much smaller than most wideouts. I thought he was coming in and being a plug and play but not what we got at all. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 4:48 PM, C'Mon Man said:

From a pure entertainment perspective - CFB becomes quite intriguing when you need other teams to win or lose to help your cause. Winning them all is more fun but 2005 I didn’t watch many games outside the Texas silo. This year I’m watching more hoping for wins and losses. I imagine it’s how fantasy football is for those who engage in that activity.

Edited by troph

6 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

I'm still not sure how that failed so miserably, being so close and with huge bodies leading the way.  Other than on a second viewing it appeared as though Brooks wasn't following closely enough behind the blockers and that allowed defenders to wrap around behind the blockers to make the tackle behind the line.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

This is exactly what happened to me but I'm still pissed about it a week later. 1 minute changed everything 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know we’re all talking bout a possible re-match with OU in Arlington but this team is going to have to come with it.  All of a sudden the end of our schedule isn’t as “easy” as some may have thought 

@ Iowa State

@ TCU

K-State 

These 3 games definitely give me a pause . 

@ Houston (there Super Bowl) and possibly the biggest game in Houston in years 

T-Tech yeah they look bad but I’m sure McGuire will have them up for us. 

All of a sudden this schedule seems like a challenge. 

Edited by D3zii

4 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I know we’re all talking bout a possible re-match with OU in Arlington but this team is going to have to come with it.  All of a sudden the end of our schedule isn’t as “easy” as some may have thought 

@ Iowa State

@ TCU

K-State 

The first 3 games you listed are definitely going to be much tougher than a lot of people are thinking—certainly a chance to lose those. I still think winning at Ames is going to be really hard to do because ISU is not the team we watched in nonconference. I’m not concerned about the last two you listed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t really see anything this week that makes me think think that our schedule is any easier or harder than before. Shitty big 12 teams played eachother and someone had to win those games. BYU was at the top of many peoples list of concerns and they just got dicked down by a bad TCU team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

@ Iowa State

@ TCU

K-State 

Texas will win every single one of those games by double digits. Take it to the bank. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, D3zii said:

@ Iowa State

@ TCU

K-State 

Of course winning six straight is a challenge. Even if you give Texas a 95% win probability in each game going 6-0 is a coin flip.

I find it hard to believe Texas loses either of its next two games but there will be a game or two in November were they're not playing well/and or the opponent is playing extremely well and they're going to have to find a way to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

I did not like the looks of KStates Freshman QB.  He ran like a whiteboy VY.  He is either very fast or TTceh defense is total ass.

TCU’s freshman QB came in and looked amazing in start one.. Any team with a legit passing attack could give Texas issues. 3 areas of concern prior to the season were edge, interior OL, and speed at safety. All 3 of those have been an issue through 6 games. 2 of those leave Texas vulnerable vs passing teams 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

@ TCU

Kansas State

@ Iowa State

Texas Tech (pending QB health)

BYU

@ Houston

Is the order I would put for most difficult to least difficult the remainder of the season. Could probably switch Kansas State and Iowa State if you wanted to. Probably not a coincidence that the top 3 all play the 3 high safety defense. TCU is a place we have not played well at historically and Hoover is honestly a better fit for that offense than Chandler Morris. I don't think Kansas State is good defensively but they are big up front on offense and Avery Johnson looked good in the run game. Iowa State is definitely the best defense left on the schedule but I wonder if their lack of depth might show up down the stretch.

Tech with Morton or Shough is obviously more dangerous than trotting out a true freshman at QB. With their season already in the tank, are they just going to spend the next month prepping for Texas?

BYU and Houston we should score 40+ on. It should look like 7 v 7 on offense for Quinn and our skill guys. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Man, I'm not sure Jerrin Thompson could beat Christian Jones in a foot race at this point. 

I have seen no reason to not play Derek Williams ~75% of the time. Catalon too, until the next time he gets hurt. 

Williams and Catalon currently play the same spot. Not sure the overlap between the two safety spots but maybe it's easy to cross-train and get someone up to speed.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Williams and Catalon currently play the same spot. Maybe they spent some of the bye week cross-training, but that's where we are at.

I was under the impression that Catalon can play both. 

They certainly look like our two best. Two other safeties run 4.75s and another is a freak but doesn't see the field. BJ Allen is on milk cartons. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was under the impression that Catalon can play both. 

They certainly look like our two best. Two other safeties run 4.75s and another is a freak but doesn't see the field. BJ Allen is on milk cartons. 

Good point, but it's probably silly to count on Catalon to play 75+% of snaps down the stretch. We are going to need a 3rd guy to provide some quality snaps. That's probably Jerrin Thompson at this point despite his physical limitations. 

Allen might as well already be in the portal. Same with LTG. Probably more of an offseason conversation but I wonder if they look at moving Austin Jordan, Guilbeau or Roberson to safety.

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Williams and Catalon currently play the same spot. Not sure the overlap between the two safety spots but maybe it's easy to cross-train and get someone up to speed.

It’s true, but Thompson is playing out of position at FS. Williams is the best cover guy of the group. Feels like the staff put too much faith in Crawford and wasted camp.