Rolling Stone Top Guitarists Thread of Clickbait

sidis

One of my main reasons for thinking that White should be ranked very highly on these lists is that he doesn't really have any contemporaries. Who else post-2000 even holds a candle to his body of work?
I can't think of one other artist who has been or was remotely as commercially successful as basically a singular, guitar driven force as the White Stripes were in the 2000s. Like 80% of their shit is him, a couple guitar tracks and Meg White just sort of phoning in some drum beats. All of it centers directly around his playing.
(And all of that is true whether or not you like his playing)

Black Keys maybe? It’s a good question. And I love Jack and the Stripes but I think the inventiveness was in the writing moreso than strictly the guitar-ness of it. But he’s a great player.

The rest of the list is just a big whatever. Agree that Vince Gill and Knopfler are too low. SRV is a big LOL. Everyone else, I couldn’t care less.

56 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Black Keys maybe? It’s a good question. And I love Jack and the Stripes but I think the inventiveness was in the writing moreso than strictly the guitar-ness of it. But he’s a great player.

The rest of the list is just a big whatever. Agree that Vince Gill and Knopfler are too low. SRV is a big LOL. Everyone else, I couldn’t care less.

There was beef from White against the Black Keys...  It seems so bizarre to me that he thought they were ripping him off.

tl/dr White seems like an asshole

1 minute ago, Horn Dogg said:

These lists are always fucking stupid.  At least they don’t have Clapton in the top 10 like they usually do.

In reality, some of those Spanish Flamenco players could wipe the ground with pretty much anyone else on the list.

Where was Julian Bream?

2 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Black Keys maybe?

Yep - they're pretty similar. Good call.

I like White's music much better, however. And I think he's a much more impressive guitarist.

1 hour ago, locodos said:

If we start picking out who's an asshole on this list we're going to be here all night. 

10 hours ago, locodos said:

There was beef from White against the Black Keys...  It seems so bizarre to me that he thought they were ripping him off.

I mean the White - Auerbach beef is pretty well known, and I'm 100% team White. Dan Auerbach is a clown, amd blatantly ripped him off. It's not even a question

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This stupid list has garnered far more attention than it deserves, which I guess means it was effective internet content if a completely absurd ranking.  David Gilmour left out of the top 10?

alright-jenniferlawrence.gif

Do you even Rolling Stone bro

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My dislike for The Black Keys' music is strong to very strong.  I know nothing about the two guys, but that genre ain't for me.

They have a couple good tunes, Gotta Get Away is a strong one. But apparently the drummer who's name escapes me at the moment is a pretty big shithead too. He was married to Michelle Branch till he fucked around and she beat his ass

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My dislike for The Black Keys' music is strong to very strong.  I know nothing about the two guys, but that genre ain't for me.

Fair enough,  I've stopped caring about what anyone thinks about what I like and I also return the favor.  I enjoy Black Keys a lot.   Whether or not they are technically proficient doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds good.  If they are the new Nickelback, so be it.  I was surprised to see @G650 reference that it's well know that they ripped off Jack White, I think their music sounds nothing alike.  Maybe it was egregious,  I don't know shit about music theory, structure, etc.   

But it you played a White Strips/ Raconteurs/ Dead Weather song or a Black Keys song I could easily discern the difference.  

White has some bangers, but if I could only ever hear one or the other again, I would choose Black keys every time.

4 minutes ago, locodos said:

Fair enough,  I've stopped caring about what anyone thinks about what I like and I also return the favor.  I enjoy Black Keys a lot.   Whether or not they are technically proficient doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds good.  If they are the new Nickelback, so be it.  I was surprised to see @G650 reference that it's well know that they ripped off Jack White, I think their music sounds nothing alike.  Maybe it was egregious,  I don't know shit about music theory, structure, etc.   

But it you played a White Strips/ Raconteurs/ Dead Weather song or a Black Keys song I could easily discern the difference.  

White has some bangers, but if I could only ever hear one or the other again, I would choose Black keys every time.

It's not the music that is the root if it, it's the shtick. Jack White predated them, then they ripped off the name, the toy store guitars, the lo fi thing. Etc... As I said it was very well known at the time. The reason I support White is he is genuine and the Black Keys were just a put on. I even by chance to got to laugh about it with the guy refinishing my burst. When he worked at Gibson Auerbach came in, and apparently the second he got money he bought decent guitars lol.

At any rate, I don't listen to a ton of either. Both have some songs I like, plenty I don't. I find Jack White to have a shitload more integrity though. And some of the stuff he is doing like preserving the art recording directly to lacquer is badass as hell.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand the Jack White hate. I wanted to revisit some White Stripes stuff tonight and started with White Blood Cells. 

This is the first track on that album and within the first 60 seconds you are blown away by a masterpiece level lead guitar track.

Go plug your little amp into your little outlet with your little guitar and your little mic and play me fucking anything that sounds like that. Any of you. You won't get that sound in a million years. 

Fucking haters, man. Jack White is one of the best ever. He's an unreal talent. I hadn't listened to much of his shit in years and I still knew it. 

Fucking ay.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand the Jack White hate. I wanted to revisit some White Stripes stuff tonight and started with White Blood Cells. 
This is the first track on that album and within the first 60 seconds you are blown away by a masterpiece level lead guitar track.

Go plug your little amp into your little outlet with your little guitar and your little mic and play me fucking anything that sounds like that. Any of you. You won't get that sound in a million years. 
Fucking haters, man. Jack White is one of the best ever. He's an unreal talent. I hadn't listened to much of his shit in years and I still knew it. 
Fucking ay.

Was the first 60 seconds of that YouTube clip the 60 seconds you are referencing? I started playing guitar at 10 in the 5th grade. Two weeks in I could have played that masterpiece level lead guitar track.

Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

While we're at it we should put Rolling Stone in charge of the weekly college football rankings.

Would anyone notice?

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

Who's Jack White?

Meg's ex husband who kept her name after the divorce.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Fucking ay.

*glances across the room*

IMG_4198.thumb.png.495209a365823de8dc9083c3d3be177c.png

to be fair, I don't have a RAT or actually I'm sure that's a big muff, but I bet I could get close. actually *turns ever so slightly*

IMG_4200.thumb.png.811cc177699f436acd655b878e930ac4.png

i could do that with this without even opening the software

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the orange boss ds-1, wish I knew where it was. what I *really* wish I still had was my old Metal Zone. Fuck, I had a Blues Drive also... what the hell happened to that stuff? Sharing a rehearsal studio will cause stuff to walk away but I feel like if I looked hard enough at my dad's house I might find a drawer full of goodies.

jack white is definitely making a run at being the new joe bonamassa in the sense of an insane amount of digital ink being spilled over their merits as a guitarist/musician/etc... for someone i could not care less about.  in the case of joe b, i literally had never heard of him before this site.  in the case of jack white, i have never heard a song by the white stripes in my life that made me think "i need to hear that again, that was awesome."

not hating on jack white, don't really care.  but i definitely am not a fan of the musical stylings coming from the white stripes.  it was cool during the euros in 2012 when the fans started the whole seven nation army stadium chant theme.  other than that, the biggest "meh" of all time.

as for fuzz, hate on electroharmonix all you want but i love my big muff...paired with a tube screamer or klon and a reverb/delay pedal through my fender 59 bassman, it is my favorite hard rock tone of all time (that i can make).

for today's outrage at the assault on human decency from the r.s. controversy-generation list, gibbons at 102, stevie vai at 127, and bill frisell at 154 feel a little offensive.

19 minutes ago, sidis said:

hate on electroharmonix all you want but i love my big muff

I think most people have the correct opinion the EHX makes cool pedals that are built amazingly shitty. I've had a black Russian Muff since it was new. I love it, but I've had to repair it innumerable times, including just this past month. Had to have my buddy the pedal builder send me some 100k pots.

Surprised you are using reverb on a Bassman, they have so much natural resonance with that cab.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I think most people have the correct opinion the EHX makes cool pedals that are built amazingly shitty. I've had a black Russian Muff since it was new. I love it, but I've had to repair it innumerable times, including just this past month. Had to have my buddy the pedal builder send me some 100k pots.

Surprised you are using reverb on a Bassman, they have so much natural resonance with that cab.

have you ever wanted to power strum one chord and let the six minute decay begin, set your guitar down for a little feedback, walk over to the other side of the room, and play something along with it on the piano or drums?  because that's the perfect setup for doing so. ;)

• Haha 2