Maybe we need an Argentina thread too

C-Man

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Protesting is a national past time in Argentina. Every time I’ve been down there ive seen sort of mass protest or one day strike 

also, let the govt start seizing kids again ?

I'm sure our resident libertarians are shocked and appalled at this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

If he starts messing with Boca, someone is going to assassinate him ..

Boca fans don't fuck around.  Shit, drunk Boca fans might be the 3rd strongest military in South America.

Was down there one year when Boca Jrs won the title.  We went down to the obelisk to observe/join in the celebration.  Ended up drinking a lot of win from botas and singing along to newly learned Boca songs with the crowd, because the fuck not?  They were all in a happy mood, so no violence....that said, we made sure to always have a street escape route in sight.

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Boca fans don't fuck around.  Shit, drunk Boca fans might be the 3rd strongest military in South America.

Was down there one year when Boca Jrs won the title.  We went down to the obelisk to observe/join in the celebration.  Ended up drinking a lot of win from botas and singing along to newly learned Boca songs with the crowd, because the fuck not?  They were all in a happy mood, so no violence....that said, we made sure to always have a street escape route in sight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

They can't avoid martial law but they are trying extremely stupid ways to get around it, like fining organizations for police billable hours, aka you protest we fine you. Also if you protest we won't give you social benefits.

Lets see how this clown fascism ends.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I thought this was a joke ….

Laughing at this is a bit of a sign of our American privilege. When inflation is as high as they have you might want to have your pay set in a certain amount of goods. Their “actual money” is running at an inflation rate of 160% so stanning for the Argentine peso is weird.  And that’s the “official” rate. 

Here from an article I saw a while back. 

"Last week I bought two kilos of potatoes for 800 pesos and this week it cost almost 1,200 pesos. I don't know if next week we'll be able to afford to buy the same groceries."

We have no frame of reference for this state of day to day life. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/argentina-inflation-tops-160-spotlighting-challenge-milei-2023-12-13/

This is why you try to avoid such a terrible economic situation/inflation. People will accept anything as an alternative. Hello, Weimar

edit- lol the author of that tweet is an Argentine immigrant that moved to Miami. He’s talking shit from a distance after he bolted. 

Edited by Boss Hogg
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Extremely ridiculous

A) Reinvent the wheel paying people with something they may not want (what about vegans?)

B) Sell milk bags at place of convenience? So they can inmediately spend their money?

The problem in Argentina is that their solution to hyperinflation is to hurt the worker, turn off the printing press and don't pay anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, linux said:

Extremely ridiculous

A) Reinvent the wheel paying people with something they may not want (what about vegans?)

B) Sell milk bags at place of convenience? So they can inmediately spend their money?

The problem in Argentina is that their solution to hyperinflation is to hurt the worker, turn off the printing press and don't pay anyone.

no way in hell is he going after the rich 

Apropos of nothing, or something, over the holiday, my old man brought over a bunch of photos and a collection of other odds and ends from our family history over the years. Including this gem from their time living in Buenos Aires:

f8183e206c39c7766149eb932330ca48.jpg
Argentina: where you print out shit celebrating “10 years of stability!”
BTW, the shit hit the fan in Argentina shortly thereafter.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/31/2023 at 12:45 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Ditching rent control and raising the rates on public transportation = hitting the poor snd working class 

How do the poor and working class like >100% official inflation?

Should price controls remain in place? They’re well established to be poor policy choices. 

Reversing the policies that led to Argentina’s disastrous condition was always going to lead to short term pain. 

On 1/6/2024 at 7:44 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Let’s continue to hit the poor and working class …

You seem awfully invested in what is maybe the most consistently shitty government and their policies remaining in power. All while sharing tweets from an aggrieved Argentine expat living in Miami.  

It will be an interesting experiment to witness, but no more than their almost a century of consistent decline. 

• Hook 'Em 1