Wulaw Horn

I'm pretty shocked how little buzz there is for this game and what a weak ticket market is for a top 10 Texas team (and I say that as someone with great seats listed on this board below face and not a single inquiry).  Pretty amazing.  Are we that fair weather that a hurt QB and a closer than expected game against Houston makes people lose interest? Our fans have always sucked but jeez.  You would think we are stuck in the middle of a 5 win Charlie Strong season.

Interesting. I put my upper deck seats on StubHub at over $100 each on Sunday before boarding a plane and they were sold by the time I landed.

Edit: Austin is looking at thunderstorms tomorrow. I’d guess it’s the weather.

34 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm pretty shocked how little buzz there is for this game and what a weak ticket market is for a top 10 Texas team (and I say that as someone with great seats listed on this board below face and not a single inquiry).  Pretty amazing.  Are we that fair weather that a hurt QB and a closer than expected game against Houston makes people lose interest? Our fans have always sucked but jeez.  You would think we are stuck in the middle of a 5 win Charlie Strong season.

The line is 19 and the opponent is BYU.. Neither is great for inspiring a huge home crowd

32 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean I hear you.  But it wasn't long ago we were celebrating being fucking bowl eligible.  Having relevant games in late October hasn't exactly been common over the last 13 years.   The entitlement and fair weather nature of our fan base is and always has been ridiculous. Just surprised there isn't more support as large as Austin has become with no other sports in town.   

Is the game not sold out? I just assume they all are. It's hard to criticize the fans when we're selling out.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is the game not sold out? I just assume they all are. It's hard to criticize the fans when we're selling out.

Not sure.  Maybe I'm just used to paying pro sports prices.  Because lower 20YL seats going for like $80 with seatgeak fees is insane to me. I've been traveling all week for work or I would be there. Was planning to sell my 4 and potentially use that to justify splurging for WS game 2 tomorrow (knowing I'll be paying out the ass for game 6 if it comes to that (fucking wife's brothers wedding for game 7).  But as it stands now, may end up seeing if I have the energy to drive in with my son tomorrow and enjoying the extra space

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I mean I hear you.  But it wasn't long ago we were celebrating being fucking bowl eligible.  Having relevant games in late October hasn't exactly been common over the last 13 years.   The entitlement and fair weather nature of our fan base is and always has been ridiculous. Just surprised there isn't more support as large as Austin has become with no other sports in town.   

It's actually a good sign for the program that this is the first time I've seen someone post that we are bowl eligible.  I'm sure the actual first time is buried in the game thread somewhere, but positive sign overall that we aren't ironically celebrating it.

Some perspective from a BYU fan on this game and our team’s strange 5-2 start.

Someone recently said that BYU’s offense makes the difficult look easy and the easy look difficult. We have explosive plays, we’ve utilized successfully trick plays, and can take momentum quickly. However, we go 3 and out ALL THE TIME. Our RBs can’t consistently get 4+ yards, our short passing game leaves lots to be desired, and we’re constantly in 3rd and long situations. We right now average 100 less YPG than our opponents. 

So how the hell do we win games? Turnovers, and net field position. Our defense is opportunistic. Our corners are ball hawks, we’ve had success forcing fumbles, and our special teams is a huge advantage - mainly our punter. We don’t do any 1 thing particularly well. Run defense struggles at times, pass defense can too - see our game against Hoover and TCU. Thankfully, we’ve tightened up some in the red zone compared to last year.

I don’t think we stand a chance outside of you guys playing an ugly game with us. We need to force turnovers, we need a punting duel that favors ours, we need you to not explode offensively while our offense finds its footing after 2+ consecutive 3 and outs. Can it happen? Sure. But I don’t think it’s likely unless Murphy is telegramming his throws to our defense. My heart says BYU 24-20, but my head says Texas 31-14.

On a seperate note, I fly in today and want some food recommendations. Ideally some good Mexican and good BBQ would be appreciated!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coogs35 said:

Our RBs can’t consistently get 4+ yards, our short passing game leaves lots to be desired, and we’re constantly in 3rd and long situations.

Well it's your lucky week you are playing our defense who, without looking at a single stat to back up my assumption, seems to do decent at stopping 3rd and short.  But we love to give up 3rd and long (at least we did last week).

As for food recs, Matt's El Rancho is still my favorite in Austin when I come in for a game although I'm sure locals may have different opinions.  BBQ - I'll let others chime in that know the current state of play better than I do but hard to go wrong in Austin.

Edited by Skipper

17 minutes ago, Coogs35 said:

Someone recently said that BYU’s offense makes the difficult look easy and the easy look difficult. We have explosive plays, we’ve utilized successfully trick plays, and can take momentum quickly. However, we go 3 and out ALL THE TIME. Our RBs can’t consistently get 4+ yards, our short passing game leaves lots to be desired, and we’re constantly in 3rd and long situations. We right now average 100 less YPG than our opponents. 

So how the hell do we win games? Turnovers, and net field position. Our defense is opportunistic. Our corners are ball hawks, we’ve had success forcing fumbles, and our special teams is a huge advantage - mainly our punter. We don’t do any 1 thing particularly well. Run defense struggles at times, pass defense can too - see our game against Hoover and TCU. Thankfully, we’ve tightened up some in the red zone compared to last year.

I don’t think we stand a chance outside of you guys playing an ugly game with us. We need to force turnovers, we need a punting duel that favors ours, we need you to not explode offensively while our offense finds its footing after 2+ consecutive 3 and outs. Can it happen? Sure. But I don’t think it’s likely unless Murphy is telegramming his throws to our defense. My heart says BYU 24-20, but my head says Texas 31-14.

On a seperate note, I fly in today and want some food recommendations. Ideally some good Mexican and good BBQ would be appreciated!

BBQ I would go with Terry Blacks, or Blacks BBQ (these are 2 different restaurants), or Salt Lick, or even Stubb's BBQ if the other three are packed. All of those are fairly close to the stadium with exception of Salt Lick. In a pinch, Rudy's is also easy and still good. You wont be able to get Franklin's, so don't bother trying.

Mexican,  you can throw a dart and find something better than most everywhere else in the country. The lower end places like Chuy's, Trudy's, Gueros Taco Bar, Torchy's, Hula Hut, etc. are all solid. But there are a ton of upscale places with really good food downtown and on the east side.  

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Well it's your lucky week you are playing our defense who, without looking at a single stat to back up my assumption, seems to do decent at stopping 3rd and short.  But we love to give up 3rd and long (at least we did last week).

As for food recs, Matt's El Rancho is still my favorite in Austin when I come in for a game although I'm sure locals may have different opinions.  BBQ - I'll let others chime in that know the current state of play better than I do but hard to go wrong in Austin.

I go to Austin, we go to Matt's El Rancho. Everybody loves it. Then, I come to the food and travel board on Surly and I'm told repeatedly that Matt's is the shittiest texmex in Austin and if you eat there, you're probably a carpetbagging know-nothing. Hopefully none of those experts see what you and I have written.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I go to Austin, we go to Matt's El Rancho. Everybody loves it. Then, I come to the food and travel board on Surly and I'm told repeatedly that Matt's is the shittiest texmex in Austin and if you eat there, you're probably a carpetbagging know-nothing. Hopefully none of those experts see what you and I have written.

I don't care what anyone says, a perfect fall Saturday is long drinking lunch at Matt's + afternoon Tailgate + DKR a night.   Haven't been able to do it once this year but that is the plan for Tech.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hopefully everyone listens to the board tonight, I’m trying to go with a big group and would love to not wait 2hrs.

26 minutes ago, Coogs35 said:

Franklin's is the obvious one.. 

la BBq

Micklewait's

Interstellar and Terry Blacks 

Joes's Bakery: East side Mexican... great brekfast tacos also

Matt's El Rancho: old School Austin staple for Tex Mex (Jalapeno Margarita is a must)

ATX Coccina/La Condessa if you want more upscale

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

la BBq

Micklewait's

Matt's El Rancho: old School Austin staple for Tex Mex (Jalapeno Margarita is a must)

Micklewaits is probably the best bbq with the least amount of wait time. It is like it's almost unknown or I guess overshadowed by the close by Franklin's and LaBBQ.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Coogs35 said:

People have already given you good suggestions on food, but I'll add two more:

Texmex - Maudie's. There's one on Lake Austin Blvd and one on South Lamar. They're solid - not the best, but it's easy to get a table and they don't do anything badly. Margaritas are good if you're a BYU grad who drinks. You'll find better food at the little hole-in-the-wall places on east Riverside but I don't expect an out of towner to be that adventurous. 

BBQ - All the good places in town will be packed. There are a lot of great spots outside the city limits (Lockhart especially), but they're a pretty long drive. I'm going to recommend Bert's Bar-B-Q. It used to be a campus staple with a location on 19th street, but that burned down years ago. They're now located in NW Austin. They're not the best BBQ in town, but they're good and convenient. They used to make a frito-pie called the To-Man and I highly recommend it if that's still the case. 

7 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Are you able to hit wide open receivers in the middle of the field on 3rd and long? Asking for a friend.

Our linebackers will be able to cover without worrying about QB run this week. PK has traditionally done well against pro-style teams, even when they spread things out a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Austin tex mex kind of sucks in general.

Matt’s is one of the better ones. It’s big and crowded and kind of kitschy - and some people don’t like it because they don’t want to put up with that - but the food/drinks are pretty good.

Maudie’s is abject garbage.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Coogs35 said:

Haven't seen Valentina's mentioned yet. Tex-Mex BBQ. haven't been to the new location in Buda yet (~30 min drive from austin), but i always try to get to them when I'm in town

https://www.instagram.com/valentinastexmexbbq/

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good luck. You know you're fucked though. We said "fuck that" this particular weekend and got a reservation at Bob's. 

Cool story, Bob coached my YMCA 5th grade basketball team.

I use to live across the street from the Austin location and would use it for my business dinners. Cant beat getting comp'd steak across the street from your home.

Edited by MisterP

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't care what any of you bizarrely angry BBQ foodie dorks say, Salt Lick, for tourists who have never been, is a good recommendation. 

Vince Vaughn GIF

Good God man. 

Not only is it mediocre BBQ, but the trip into the Drip' doubles down on the suck.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

la BBq

Micklewait's

This is a great list. 

Franklin’s is still king but the line and wait make it an adventure that won’t work well with trying to make it to a 2:30 football game. 

LA is our middle ground. Small line but still great BBQ. Intersteller is good but they have major lines since they made the top 10 list and it’s nowhere near the stadium. Terry Black’s is really popular and if you go after the game you don’t have to worry about them running out of food. 

make sure you go to Gourdough’s Big Fat Donut while in Austin for something sweet. You can thank me later. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You idiots are acting like I made the rec or claim to make a habit of going. Bottom line is that Salt Lick is a tourist attraction and famous because of it. "30-40 minutes out of town" is seeing more of the Austin area for someone that doesn't visit much or never does, and calling Salt Lick inferior bbq means you're qualifying it against something. What exactly? You think BYU visitors from outside of Texas and likely Utah are pigging out regularly on amazing brisket? No. It's better than anything the state of Utah has to offer. 

This. I have literally never taken an out of towner to Salt Lick and not gotten rave reviews.  It's the entire experience including getting out of the city.  Not everyone fucking lives in Austin/Hill Country.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You idiots are acting like I made the rec or claim to make a habit of going. Bottom line is that Salt Lick is a tourist attraction and famous because of it. "30-40 minutes out of town" is seeing more of the Austin area for someone that doesn't visit much or never does, and calling Salt Lick inferior bbq means you're qualifying it against something. What exactly? You think BYU visitors from outside of Texas and likely Utah are pigging out regularly on amazing brisket? No. It's better than anything the state of Utah has to offer. 

I get it. BBQ foodie-ism is a whole subculture of being a foodie in the first place. No sauce goddammit!! The only real BBQ is brisket smoked with Texas wood, motherfucker! It seems exhausting. I've had all of Austin's finest. They're all great but most folks don't one fuck about the nuances. It's like wine snobs. Is it good or bad? Beyond that, you get into clownish hair splitting. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This. I have literally never taken an out of towner to Salt Lick and not gotten rave reviews.  It's the entire experience including getting out of the city.  Not everyone fucking lives in Austin/Hill Country.

It’s nice for out of town folks but makes sure you tell them to go to the right location. If they don’t know they might end up at the Round Rock location which doesn’t have any of the benefits of the trip to the original. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fair point. It is likely someone coming from the ugly state of Utah will be blown away by the unmatched beauty of the tract homes between Austin and Driftwood.
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1